Between sizes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Between sizes
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: May 7, 2018 at 16:40 Quote
Any advice on whether to go up or down in size on the new YT Tues? I’m 5’8” which puts me right between a M and L. I like both jump lines and the chunk. I ride mostly Whistler and Northstar. YT says go with either depending on whether you want stability or flickability. I’ve ridden smaller bikes up until now and I’d like to try something bigger, but I’m concerned it might be more difficult in the air on the flowy jump lines. Are bigger bikes really that much harder to jump?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 0:36 Quote
I was in the same boat as you with my NK Pulse. According to the size sheet, medium was the size (I'm 5.8 too) for me, but I chose the large and would not go back. I have no problems getting big air or whipping. It is very stable at high speed in rough sections too. I guess it's purely personal preference if you're stuck between sizes. You just have to pull the trigger on one if you can't try both.

FL
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 0:56 Quote
Thanks man. Yeah unfortunately I can’t try either because it’s a YT - and on top of that it’s a new bike so there aren’t any in the wild. Appreciate hearing your experience.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 6:28 Quote
Personally i´d always upsize. You´ll get used to a bike that´s slightly too big quite fast and there´s always the option to just run a shorter stem (like 30mm). A bike that is too small will always put you off balance in the rough stuff no matter what and putting a longer stem on it is only possible if the standard it came with was a 30mm.
Jumping isn´t really impaired by bike size on downhill bikes. Yes, on dirt jump style jumps a shorter bike is better, but when do you actually ride those on a dh bike? Downhill courses mostly have jumps with more gradually curved slopes or simply a sort of wedge design which isn´t hindered by a longer bike.
Whipping the bike around is a negligable difference really. If you can whip, you can whip a longer bike. We´re talking differences of about 1-1,5cm in overall bike length between frame sizes here, so roughly an increase of about 1% in total wheelbase. That´s not really something you´ll notice in the air.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 8:30 Quote
Alu and carbon Tues have different geo. At your height, i d take Medium carbon frame but if we are talking alu, then i d probably go Large.

FL
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
Thx guys. Super helpful. I’m getting the carbon frame FWIW. Whistler is a big mountain and I’ve always felt a bit undergunned (even though I’ve always had a blast). I can’t help but think I need to jump up more that a half inch in reach - which is basically all the Medium will get me and that’s with a 50mm stem. I’m thinking between seat position, the option of a shorter stem and the fact that the new Tues takes a reach adjust headset with 8mm to play with, I should go for the large and if it’s too big I’ll be able to make it work.

Knowing that guys have not felt like DH jumping is impacted really helps my thought process.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 14:17 Quote
Samo831 wrote:
Thx guys. Super helpful. I’m getting the carbon frame FWIW. Whistler is a big mountain and I’ve always felt a bit undergunned (even though I’ve always had a blast). I can’t help but think I need to jump up more that a half inch in reach - which is basically all the Medium will get me and that’s with a 50mm stem. I’m thinking between seat position, the option of a shorter stem and the fact that the new Tues takes a reach adjust headset with 8mm to play with, I should go for the large and if it’s too big I’ll be able to make it work.

Knowing that guys have not felt like DH jumping is impacted really helps my thought process.

Reach adjustment headset is what i ll be buying soon to extend reach on my banshee darkside. Great option.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
I actually just traded a medium frame for a large today (Norco Aurum ) and the sizing( wheel base/reach etc) is pretty similar.

I'm 5'11"ish. So take it with a grain of salt. For me, the medium is a hair too small, it's easy to throw around in the air, but I felt I would go too far over the front or back wheel too easy, it was hard to stay centered if that makes sense. So now I got the large and it feels much more pleasant. I didn't think the extra few inches of reach and wheel base would be very noticeable, but it definitely is.

However, if I was 5'8" I would probably lean towards a medium. I guess it depends on how much you weigh and how long your arms are. If you're really light I would suggest medium, if you have long arms and could fight in the 180+ lb weight range than a large would probably be manageble.

10 years ago an xl dh bike would be like a small or medium dh bike these days.

Ultimately, you are going to have to figure it out yourself. See if you can sit on and mess around with a few medium and large bikes with similar dimensions before ordering your yt.

If you're a lightweight guy with normal sized arms and legs, a medium might be more fun, but that all just depends on your personal preference. If I was your height idk if I would ride a large. Lots of guys my size prefer mediums, it's a pretty 50/50 opinion, just all comes to personal preference if you're around 5'10"

FL
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 16:24 Quote
I’m 155lbs with a bit longer arms than normal - 69”

But for the most part my proportions are pretty standard. 5’8” / 32” inseam / 69” wingspan / 155 lbs (without gear).

This is what makes it a tough call. Medium probably fits me pretty well too.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 20:28 Quote
I would go sit on some medium and large frames of some other dh bikes and get a general idea so you can get a feel. Ride them in the parking lot, and get a feel for your center of balance on the bike.

Wish I could give you a better answer, but it really comes to personal preference.

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 2:59 Quote
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
I would go sit on some medium and large frames of some other dh bikes and get a general idea so you can get a feel. Ride them in the parking lot, and get a feel for your center of balance on the bike.

Wish I could give you a better answer, but it really comes to personal preference.

While this may seem like the logical thing to do, it really can be misleading even if you compare the geometry numbers of the bikes. The thing is,you need to also consider the stack of each bike which is influenced by choice of bars, stem and the amount of spacers. So without measuring each bike you may most likely still end up with a totally different feeling bike than what you compared it to.
It can give a first impression and guide you in a certain direction yes, that is correct. Just don't assume you can extrapolate the numbers from one bike to another simply by comparing geometry data sheets.
(I'm not saying you're wrong PinnedFreeride,it's a good start, just wanted to add this important information)

FL
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
There have been very valid points made for both M & L so I guess I just have to figure it out for myself. As Hetman said, just pull the trigger on one or the other. It’s become clear that no one can really decide what will be best for me since it really comes down to personal preference. Appreciate the discussion guys. It’s been helpful.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
Another In Betweener here!

I'm 6'0" 34.5" Inseam 195lbs 73" Wingspan
I have YT Izzo on order, in both Large and X Large!!

Need help to decide which way to go

Thanks in Advance!

Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
sipmd82 wrote:

Thanks in Advance!

Which way did you end up going on sizing and any suggestions? I'm in your boat; right about 6', maybe a hair over.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
DriverB wrote:
sipmd82 wrote:

Thanks in Advance!

Which way did you end up going on sizing and any suggestions? I'm in your boat; right about 6', maybe a hair over.

I’d say XL if you’re doing more high speed trails. L if it’s more pick your way through. Assuming the change in seated cockpit length doesn’t matter much to you. At 6’4” I’m a solid XXL for the more xc style of riding.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012791
Mobile Version of Website