How bad is this dent?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How bad is this dent?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
I just recently purchased a used Rocky Mountain Vertex that was touted as being in "great shape". When I got it home I noticed that there is a small dent/gouge in the downtube, and a dent in the seat tube. The previous owner had touched them up with paint and had not told me about them. My fault for being too hasty in purchasing the bike I suppose.

Question: Will these dents compromise the frame at all or am I okay?

photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
That top pic looks like a major rock impact to me, frame looks compromised. Great shape my ass... the seller lied.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 13:29 Quote
KevinH69 wrote:
That top pic looks like a major rock impact to me, frame looks compromised. Great shape my ass... the seller lied.

Yep..I'd be looking for a Refund..The guy totally mislead you, in not disclosing the dent, ect.

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 5:46 Quote
Thanks for the response. Do you guys really think it's that bad? It's smaller than my pinky finger nail...

photo
photo
photo

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 23:06 Quote
I wouldn't worry them myself. Got simlar ones in one of my bikes and it's been fine for years. It's also scandium which is more brittle and thinner than regular ally and like I said it's fine.
As long as there no sharp creases. Not like its gonna be doing any dh racing.
But yeah the guy should have said dents in frame. I'd want some money back.

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 16:19 Quote
f*ck man... even if that frame is ride-able, would you have purchased the bike for the price you did knowing about those dents??

Where did you meet him? Random location or at his house?

I would never recommend or condone violence... which is why, in a similar situation, I rolled up to the guys home with 4 other good sized friends in tow and politely asked for my money back. He needed a ride to the ATM which we were happy to help him out with.

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 16:27 Quote
Yeah, if you let this slide, he /she will more than likely try the same crap again. I agree with Ian, and he and his buddies likely put an end to the guy that deceived him, so good on ya Ian.

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 18:12 Quote
xc bike, i wouldn't worry, they are not something id worry about. its not carbon.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012747
Mobile Version of Website