All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 4:11 Quote
Hello guys,

I just want to know if is it possible to fit offset bushings in 2020 frame? Has anyone tried it?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 19:53 Quote
jardo wrote:
Hello guys,

I just want to know if is it possible to fit offset bushings in 2020 frame? Has anyone tried it?

Why would you do this?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 23:09 Quote
dirtriderns wrote:
jardo wrote:
Hello guys,

Why would you do this?

To make it slackier and bit longer

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 7:07 Quote
jardo wrote:
Hello guys,

Hi Jardo!

Jeron from Offsetbushings.com here.

We've produced quite a few sets for the '20 model Meta with no reported issues!

To order, just make a note of your frame and shock models when ordering this https://www.offsetbushings.com/collections/frontpage/products/offset-bushings-pair

Hope that helps!

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
jezzah wrote:
jardo wrote:
Hello guys,

Hi Jardo!

Jeron from Offsetbushings.com here.

We've produced quite a few sets for the '20 model Meta with no reported issues!

To order, just make a note of your frame and shock models when ordering this https://www.offsetbushings.com/collections/frontpage/products/offset-bushings-pair

Hope that helps!

Hey Jeron, thanks for reply. I can machine them myself thats not a big deal for me. I was just wondering if it possible to fit them into frame, because I was riding frame this year frame where it wasnt posible because shock conctacted frame when I used bushings.

But if you made them for people and there wasnr any complaint I guess they are workimg just fine with this frame, thanks!

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 2:50 Quote
Hey meta owners.

I currently have a stumpjumper Evo. For various reasons I haven’t gelled with the bike as much as I would have liked so I am contemplating a meta 29 AM frameset and swapping all my parts over.

I am approx 6ft and 100kg ready to ride. Is the meta kinematic progressive enough for a lad of my heft? I realise you can jam it full of volume spacers but I would like the ability to run a coil shock. I remember the meta came with a dhx2 shock in 2019 but it appears no coil options for 2020. The frame set comes without shock however. Is the x2 the best pair up with this bike?

At my height would you recommend a large or XL? The stumpy was a s3 size with 475mm reach which was roomy but ok. I think a large with 468mm reach would be fine however the meta has a very steep seat tube.

My main concern is the type of ride this bike will give. I am after that “magic carpet” ride that you get from some bikes. The stumpy was more like magic jackhammer ride no matter how many tunes or shocks I tried. Downhill performance is the upmost priority, the bike will be predominantly shuttled and chairlift with very little pedalling involved if I can help it.

Cheers.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 4:08 Quote
Kinda funny because I was thinking about getting the Evo too before I settled on the meta, but it was more because of the spec sheet and my budget.

I don't know my ride-ready weight but naked I'm 90kg, so should be in the same ballpark. I'm on the 2019 model, and I've been riding the stock DPX2 so far and never had a problem with bottoming out, but I have a DHX2 on the way right now because I felt like on super long descents it got a bit overwhelmed and I really wanted to try a coil.

Seeing how a lot of the EWS riders run a coil shock as well and the geometry only changed by a few mm on the 2020 compared to the 2019 I can't imagine that they reworked the kinematics. On the 2019 the 460mm reach felt a tad short sometimes (I'm 184cm), but 490 on the XL might be too long, at least for me.

As for how it rides: I came from a 2014 model 27.5 bike with what felt in hindsight like pretty shitty kinematics and a Monarch, so riding the Meta was eye-opening for me. The only direct comparison with similar bikes for me are the 2018 Enduro 29 and the Firebird 29, but I only had one short run with each. In comparison, the Enduro was kind of unremarkable in a good way, it just did its job really well without sticking out but seemed a bit more chattery. The Firebird smoothed everything out and felt more stable, however the guy was a huge suspension tinkerer and the comparison of a dialed Grip2 36 and X2 to a "just pump it up to your sag and open the lockout lever" 36 Performance and DPX2 might not be super fair.

So with my limited experience, the Meta 29 is absolutely amazing, but if it holds up to higher standards, I don't know. As much as I hate the metaphor-laden bike mag reviews, the recent bible test seems to hit the nail on the head on how it feels (they also say that putting a coil on it would complement the bike more).

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Hey meta owners.

I'd go for the large with an X2.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
I am 6'2" with a L 2020 TR29. I'd like it to be a bit longer for a bit more comfort, but I am not scrunched up by any means. I do find that I needed to kick my saddle forward to keep the front end down on climbs.

I have yet to really get the bike jumping well yet (Fox 36 on front, CaneCreek DBAirIL on the rear) but it is super planted and a riot to point downhill. the bike is confident and inspiring to ride trails and park.

I am 90kg as well.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
Thanks for your responses, all very helpful.

I think this is the way forward. A 2020 “worlds version” and a coil shock with progressive spring might be the ticket.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
Keep us updated on the build! Shame that the 2020 doesn't come in raw aluminum anymore.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
i got a 2019 meta large ( 5'10 ) and the reach is perfect for me.

Seat tube is really steep so it not feel long when seated.

I ridden the summer with stock dpx2 and i'm not super impress, i was always getting too much feedback for my taste.

I tried very shortly with a borrowed coil on it and that's the way to go if you want to glue on ground with almost no feedback at all.

I'm gonna buy a coil shock with the new progressive spring from canecreek

i weight 209 lbs with gear and i tried 450 and 500.

450 needed a good 3 turn preload to achieve 28% sag

500 3/4-1 turn to get 26-27%

with the 450 to 550 progressive spring from CC i should get a really good small bump and enough ramp up at the end to avoid harsh bottom.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
dirtriderns wrote:
i got a 2019 meta large ( 5'10 ) and the reach is perfect for me.

Seat tube is really steep so it not feel long when seated.

I ridden the summer with stock dpx2 and i'm not super impress, i was always getting too much feedback for my taste.

I tried very shortly with a borrowed coil on it and that's the way to go if you want to glue on ground with almost no feedback at all.

I'm gonna buy a coil shock with the new progressive spring from canecreek

i weight 209 lbs with gear and i tried 450 and 500.

450 needed a good 3 turn preload to achieve 28% sag

500 3/4-1 turn to get 26-27%

with the 450 to 550 progressive spring from CC i should get a really good small bump and enough ramp up at the end to avoid harsh bottom.

great info!

I think the 500-610 spring would be perfect for me then.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
What dropper posts are y’all running? My Lev SI is starting to run a bit rough, I heard good things about the OneUp V2 and I got some money I can waste. I’d go with the 180 version at 252 max insertion length on an L frame, which should theoretically be fine.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
Have you tried applying a little SRAM butter or slick honey grease to the stanchion? My Lev SI often becomes slow to return and hard to push down if a ride it in the rain or mud, but if I apply a little SRAM butter it goes back to working perfectly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005807
Mobile Version of Website