All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 6:05 Quote
Skelton88 wrote:
Hoping for a relatively quick answer, just ordered some dominion a4s , 203 rotor up front 180 in back. Was struggling to find the correct adapter for the front and back? My bike is the 2020 meta tr origin with the rockshoc gold 35 RL if this helps post mount 160.
Go to the hayes website and they have the adapters you need.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
Adapters are interchangeable. Go with Shimano or Avid

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
What’s the largest coil you’re able to run on a TR? I currently have a 2.35x500 and I’m wondering if a 2.5x550 will work. Everything 2.35 is sold out and I’d like a little heavier spring. Thanks

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 23:56 Quote
I know it’s been asked a few times, but what’s the current thoughts on the coil vs air debate on the meta tr 29?

My frame is due any time now, i have a float x2 factory shock sitting here ready to fit, but also been offered an ohlins ttx coil.....

Previously ran a ttx on my canyon strive, then held onto it and used it on my hightower lt. Brilliant shock, enjoyed the simplicity of adjustment / traction / suppleness

But unsure how much better it really will be over the x2, which is lighter and will ultimately have a bit more tunability

Thoughts? Will be coupled with a fox 36 rc2 160mm fork

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
stevenEK9 wrote:
I know it’s been asked a few times, but what’s the current thoughts on the coil vs air debate on the meta tr 29?

My frame is due any time now, i have a float x2 factory shock sitting here ready to fit, but also been offered an ohlins ttx coil.....

Previously ran a ttx on my canyon strive, then held onto it and used it on my hightower lt. Brilliant shock, enjoyed the simplicity of adjustment / traction / suppleness

But unsure how much better it really will be over the x2, which is lighter and will ultimately have a bit more tunability

Thoughts? Will be coupled with a fox 36 rc2 160mm fork

It depends on how you like to ride, my race with the coil is planted and has a bit more weight. I'm not fussy about set up of my bike, just wanted set and forget parts so got a coil. I like it. I would like to try an air shock, think it would make the bike a bit more playful and poppy like my old remedy.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
alexbg wrote:
It depends on how you like to ride, my race with the coil is planted and has a bit more weight. I'm not fussy about set up of my bike, just wanted set and forget parts so got a coil. I like it. I would like to try an air shock, think it would make the bike a bit more playful and poppy like my old remedy.

Thanks! I think i’ll stick with the x2 for now, plenty settings to faff about with to get it dialled

Just got my tracking details through... roll on next week

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
Mine just got delivered , stuck down in work till Thursday night can't wait to get it invisiframed and get a ride on it !! Anyone got tips for invisiframe I've watched a few vids online basically just take time is it

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
Mine just got delivered , stuck down in work till Thursday night can't wait to get it invisiframed and get a ride on it !! Anyone got tips for invisiframe I've watched a few vids online basically just take time is it

I've never invisiframed before, my bike is 7 months old, LBS did it and it's already peeling in a couple of areas and has a couple of scratches were the kit didn't cover pivots/chainstay. Just do it and see how it comes out. Some people take days, some take a couple of hours.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
alexbg wrote:
lew-77 wrote:

I've never invisiframed before, my bike is 7 months old, LBS did it and it's already peeling in a couple of areas and has a couple of scratches were the kit didn't cover pivots/chainstay. Just do it and see how it comes out. Some people take days, some take a couple of hours.

Make sure to let it dry for 24 hours after putting it on and take your time with it. My LBS took their time and took apart the whole bike and came out beautifully. Congrats and good luck with the new bike.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 16:33 Quote
I have a 2020 TR.
I run 150/140 F/R.
I am putting a 1.5 deg WorksComponents headset in.
Any thoughts on that?
I use that bike for Park and more difficult trail riding. For Park it sems a bit undergunned on the front end.
I may also get a 44mm offset fork too.
Thoughts on that?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
eragot wrote:
I have a 2020 TR.
I run 150/140 F/R.
I am putting a 1.5 deg WorksComponents headset in.
Any thoughts on that?
I use that bike for Park and more difficult trail riding. For Park it sems a bit undergunned on the front end.
I may also get a 44mm offset fork too.
Thoughts on that?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Your BB is going to be too low, I recommend only doing -1 deg. max. The BB will still be low but still usable and this is plenty slack enough to tackle anything.(64.5ish)

You can also extend the fork to 160mm, and 44mm offset would be fine with this setup if you're wanting to invest in a new fork that you can carry forward.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
PhoS wrote:

Your BB is going to be too low, I recommend only doing -1 deg. max. The BB will still be low but still usable and this is plenty slack enough to tackle anything.(64.5ish)

You can also extend the fork to 160mm, and 44mm offset would be fine with this setup if you're wanting to invest in a new fork that you can carry forward.

Would it? Thought this is interesting and pretty easy to work out. Assuming Fox 36 150mm axle to crown of 557mm.

Axle to crown height stock = 557mm x sin (65.5) = 506.8mm
Axle to crown height -1.5 = 557mm x sin (64) = 500.6mm

So just about 6mm difference in height, and approximating with a 2:1 front centre:rear centre ratio, that's about a 2mm drop at the BB. I think you'd be hard pressed to notice that.

To OP I say go nuts...why not even -2 degrees? I'm a fan of my 2021 Meta with the 63.6 degree HTA.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 4:55 Quote
Thanks for the input. Maths to the rescue.
The 2020 TR is 66.5 deg head angle with 140mm, so I figure with the 1.5, I'm coming down to 65 - 0.5 for the 150mm fork.
If I go the fork route, I'd need less of an angleset b/c that would be 20mm more than stock I guess.
The 1.5 is coming and any fork offset change will have to wait until July at the earliest. What's the worst that happens? BB too low? I'll report back.
Thanks again for the help.

CaMKii wrote:
PhoS wrote:

Would it? Thought this is interesting and pretty easy to work out. Assuming Fox 36 150mm axle to crown of 557mm.

Axle to crown height stock = 557mm x sin (65.5) = 506.8mm
Axle to crown height -1.5 = 557mm x sin (64) = 500.6mm

So just about 6mm difference in height, and approximating with a 2:1 front centre:rear centre ratio, that's about a 2mm drop at the BB. I think you'd be hard pressed to notice that.

To OP I say go nuts...why not even -2 degrees? I'm a fan of my 2021 Meta with the 63.6 degree HTA.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
I dont need to math it I have the same bike sitting in the garage with -1 works cups. The bb height after the change is 330mm with 150mm Fox. If you dont think thats low you must be riding the smoothest trails around or never pedal. I hit flats pretty regularly on our rocky climbs, and in rock gardens.(170mm cranks) It's not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind. I plan to bump it back to 160mm one of these days. Also slacking the bike to oblivion isn't going to turn you into Yoann Barelli overnight. If you're having issues at 65.5 you're going to have the same at 63 deg. etc.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
I trust your experience, I'm not questioning that. In fact, I'm glad to have it.
I ride 170mm as well. I don't expect to change what I do overnight at all. I'm just trying to see if things will get a bit better on some stuff I ride. I wouldn't classify my riding as filled with issues, but for the most part, this bike has a steeper head angle then my Reeb hardtail and that bike is better on some stuff which I attribute to the head angle. Going up technical stuff I know the Reeb has a really short back end which helps.

PhoS wrote:
I dont need to math it I have the same bike sitting in the garage with -1 works cups. The bb height after the change is 330mm with 150mm Fox. If you dont think thats low you must be riding the smoothest trails around or never pedal. I hit flats pretty regularly on our rocky climbs, and in rock gardens.(170mm cranks) It's not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind. I plan to bump it back to 160mm one of these days. Also slacking the bike to oblivion isn't going to turn you into Yoann Barelli overnight. If you're having issues at 65.5 you're going to have the same at 63 deg. etc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006494
Mobile Version of Website