All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
PhoS wrote:
I dont need to math it I have the same bike sitting in the garage with -1 works cups. The bb height after the change is 330mm with 150mm Fox. If you dont think thats low you must be riding the smoothest trails around or never pedal. I hit flats pretty regularly on our rocky climbs, and in rock gardens.(170mm cranks) It's not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind. I plan to bump it back to 160mm one of these days. Also slacking the bike to oblivion isn't going to turn you into Yoann Barelli overnight. If you're having issues at 65.5 you're going to have the same at 63 deg. etc.

I don't disagree that modern BB heights are low... my chain's missing 4-5 rollers from bashing the chainring on rocks (planning on a wolftooth bashspider for the next chainring replacement). Pedal strikes on technical climbs are also an issue, compounded by the slow engagement of the stock hubs.

But the point is that the difference in BB height made by the HTA change is tiny. You're talking about less than 1 mm when considering -1 vs -1.5. If it's unacceptably low at -1.5, it'll be also be unacceptably low at -1 and still low stock. Running less suspension sag and larger tires would make a bigger difference in ride height.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
Modern bikes are getting pretty low but they're typically still in the mid to low 340mm BB height range. You're definitely getting well into diminishing returns going sub 335mm on a "trail" bike in my book. Maybe would be ok if I lived in the mid-west with zero rocks but it's definitely a liability here in the PNW. And yes the bash, and crank boots are 100% essential on this bike.

I think if you try the -2 and like the feeling, you would be happier overall just getting on an Meta AM instead. This way you're not compromising your preferred setup (sag, tires, etc) for an partial improvement that only applies in those extreme sections of your trails.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
I'm in NYC, so NJ rocks and flow. The bike park I hit most is Mountain Creek. So, plenty of rocks, but also flow.
You're probably right about the AM. I'm just experimenting to have something more capable for park season and that I can change back after.

I'll do some measuring later and see where things are at now.

Cheers,,,

PhoS wrote:
Modern bikes are getting pretty low but they're typically still in the mid to low 340mm BB height range. You're definitely getting well into diminishing returns going sub 335mm on a "trail" bike in my book. Maybe would be ok if I lived in the mid-west with zero rocks but it's definitely a liability here in the PNW. And yes the bash, and crank boots are 100% essential on this bike.

I think if you try the -2 and like the feeling, you would be happier overall just getting on an Meta AM instead. This way you're not compromising your preferred setup (sag, tires, etc) for an partial improvement that only applies in those extreme sections of your trails.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
does anyone know the torque specs for rear shock? Meta am29

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
does anyone know the torque specs for rear shock? Meta am29

9 N.m

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
Thanks very much

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 18:31 Quote
Cool photo, love a meta in their natural habitat Smile

photo

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 23:27 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
photo

Nice pic. Mine is coming in 3 days.. can't wait!

Would love to see some more photos of this gunmetal finish under the daylight, though

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 1:57 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
photo

Awesome, how does the ext shock feel?

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 2:02 Quote
Rude not to get a shot of the build kit laid out ahead of the frame coming tomorrow (high polished TR in XL)

Most of the kit is carried across from my old foxy 29er carbon, forks have been in for a full service and a new steerer pressed in as old one would have been too short, still rocking the 10 speed - 34T chainring and a 46 sunrace cassette gives plenty range, 11 speed xt mech’s cost buttons to replace if you prang them

Hunt wheels are absolute trash, well mainly the rear hubs. I’ve rebuilt the rear wheel with a hope pro 4 hub which should certainly help with that!

photo

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
EXT shock was quality had one bottom out on 450 spring think I'll put the 475 on when things get dryer! So sensitive though it feels amazing, had a 2021 DHX2 on my old bike , will give an update after a few more rides to the difference

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 6:05 Quote
For anyone running a RS air shock and have problem with to easy bottoming out even with maxed out tokens, I can recommend the megneg. I could go from 20% sag to 30% with the same bottom out resistance.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Built up this evening, really happy with how it’s looking

Only extra i’ll order is a b-rad mount to shift the bottle cage back for better clearance for bigger bottles - edit: ordered a wedge adapter from Bird which they produce due to the limited space on the Aeris frames, mocked it up tonight and should be able to get a litre bottle in there Beer

photo

My OCD as an ex bike mechanic prevailed with the cable routing - I hate cable rattle, and with the rear brake/dropper taped together, the bike is proper quiet

photo

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
Looks ace mate enjoy it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017109
Mobile Version of Website