All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
Odiguer wrote:
Interesting! Maybe a difference in sealant.
I'm mounting a new Wild Enduro rear tonight; I'll use that opportunity to re-tape it. We'll see how it looks around the nipples from the inside of the rim when I remove the old tape.

Ok. I did it. Here's the deal.
24 hours old tubeless made with the original rim tape and no riding at all!

Here's me taking off the original rim tape:

https://abload.de/img/20210520_223918wpkds.jpg

https://abload.de/img/20210520_223921vgkv7.jpg

(Sorry, I'm an idiot and I don't know how to post a pic)

Posted: May 20, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
That is for sure a regular rim strip and not sealing tape. Gorilla tape is ok but leaves a residue you have to clean up next time you want to change it.

Posted: May 20, 2021 at 23:05 Quote
I’d recommend muc off tubeless tape, it’s not quite as rigid as stan’s so alot easier to apply, also relatively cheap

Run it on both mtb and cx, just a single layer needed in the correct width to suit the rims

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
Hello guys!

I am buying my first proper enduro bike, which will be the Commencal Meta AM 2021. I am 184 cm / 6 ft, 0.4 in, and 85 kg/182 punds, and don't know which size I should get. My inseam is 85cm / 33.5in, my RAD is 85-86cm /33-34 in, armspan is 184cm/6ft.

I ride local black technical trails, there are some blue trails with jumps, and I am planning to visit nearby bike parks a 1-2 times a month. I like pedaling to the trailhead aswell, so thats important too.

My old bike had outdated geo, and it's reach was definitely small for me, but I don't want a too big bike either. The trails here have fast sections,but also have slow technical sections with sharp turns/berms.

Please can anybody with more experince help me?

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
kskbnce wrote:
Hello guys!

I am buying my first proper enduro bike, which will be the Commencal Meta AM 2021. I am 184 cm / 6 ft, 0.4 in, and 85 kg/182 punds, and don't know which size I should get. My inseam is 85cm / 33.5in, my RAD is 85-86cm /33-34 in, armspan is 184cm/6ft.

I ride local black technical trails, there are some blue trails with jumps, and I am planning to visit nearby bike parks a 1-2 times a month. I like pedaling to the trailhead aswell, so thats important too.

My old bike had outdated geo, and it's reach was definitely small for me, but I don't want a too big bike either. The trails here have fast sections,but also have slow technical sections with sharp turns/berms.

I am slightly taller and a littler heavier than you, i have a L 2019 Meta TR (475 reach) but probably should have gotten an XL, that being said the geo updates on the new bikes means I’d get a 2021 in L since the reach is up to 490. I also have a Privateer 161 with 490 reach that feels perfect for me at just under 6’2”

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 5:27 Quote
kskbnce wrote:
Hello guys!

I’m 190cm and on an XL meta TR 2021 (515 reach), 50mm stem, bars are chopped down so they measure 760mm including grips

I’d question anyone that says you should size down on the newer commencal geo, i’d deffinately go for a large frame if i were you

Maybe something most don’t want to hear.... but the only limiting factor to climbing is your fitness. All the new 12 speed gear has plenty range, and the steep seat tube makes a huge difference. My TR climbs better than my old foxy carbon which was a good bit lighter (it had 25mm less reach, but 10mm longer ETT due to the geo)

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 6:43 Quote
kskbnce wrote:
Hello guys!

I’m 5’11 and I bought a large TR. I did shorten the stem to 35mm but the bike fits me great.

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 8:16 Quote
Thanks everyone! Large it is then, i'm gonna order it on Tuesday!

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
bigquotesI am slightly taller and a littler heavier than you, i have a L 2019 Meta TR (475 reach) but probably should have gotten an XL, that being said the geo updates on the new bikes means I’d get a 2021 in L since the reach is up to 490. I also have a Privateer 161 with 490 reach that feels perfect for me at just under 6’2”

Not really, nope.. At 6'2 you're in-between L/XL but you should probably stay on an the XL. You cannot compare the fitment and reach values of two bikes with different seat tube angles. Even though the newer TR has a longer reach it has a 2 deg STEEPER seat tube angle which is going to make it feel smaller than the number might seem. Your 161 is the equivalent of your old TR with a 490 reach.

Disregard the numbers, go find a bike to sit on and you'll see what I mean.

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
PhoS wrote:

Not really, nope.. At 6'2 you're in-between L/XL but you should probably stay on an the XL. You cannot compare the fitment and reach values of two bikes with different seat tube angles. Even though the newer TR has a longer reach it has a 2 deg STEEPER seat tube angle which is going to make it feel smaller than the number might seem. Your 161 is the equivalent of your old TR with a 490 reach.

Agree. Not that easy to compare sizes/fit of 2 different bikes.
My brand new Meta is 45-50 mm longer in Reach than ny old trail bike (although I had a 50 mm stem compared to the 40 mm on this bike) and pedaling while sitting is almost impossible to feel the difference. The length is almost identical.

Standing up is also hard to compare because of much higher stack. You can feel it's roomier but, at least for me, in the good way.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
Finally got my frame after it was jailed in customs for 10 days. Got to say a bit disappointed in the high polish finish. It is more of a polish over brushed. It's OK but not a true mirror polish on all surfaces.

Unfortunately still waiting on my fork to show up so going to be a couple more weeks until I can ride it.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
pakleni wrote:
Agree. Not that easy to compare sizes/fit of 2 different bikes.
My brand new Meta is 45-50 mm longer in Reach than ny old trail bike (although I had a 50 mm stem compared to the 40 mm on this bike) and pedaling while sitting is almost impossible to feel the difference. The length is almost identical.

Standing up is also hard to compare because of much higher stack. You can feel it's roomier but, at least for me, in the good way.

I finally got to ride my META AM and i can only confirm what you wrote.

Reach is about 25-30mm longer than my old Enduro but Top Tube Lenght ist basically identical. Standing up feels like so much room but defnitly in a good way.
Tomorrows ride to setup the suspension will be the first real ride.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
PhoS wrote:
bigquotesI am slightly taller and a littler heavier than you, i have a L 2019 Meta TR (475 reach) but probably should have gotten an XL, that being said the geo updates on the new bikes means I’d get a 2021 in L since the reach is up to 490. I also have a Privateer 161 with 490 reach that feels perfect for me at just under 6’2”

I agree with sitting/demoing a bike first if possible but it also depends partly on your personal preference and terrain. Trails I ride have a lot of tight switchbacks and I personally like a slightly smaller bike that being said the new steep STA trend allows for way more options to suite your preferences.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
Ordered a size medium RIDE version of the am back in Nov 2020 and was originally told ide receive the bike in March. After loads of shipping delays I still don’t have the bike and am now being told I’ll receive it at the mid-end of June. Just wanted to know if any other UK customers are having similar experiences or if I’m just really really unlucky.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007957
Mobile Version of Website