All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 6:36 Quote
DJR2013 wrote:
RHR919 wrote:
Would the TR Race be a good first bike? I’m also looking at the YT Jeffsy Core 3.

I would probably choose the essential version as my first bike over the race version. Coils and up forking a bike (160mm) might not be for everyone. You can always upgrade to those later when you can actually appreciate the differences. I would say a 150mm fork dual suspension with air shock is a perfect first bike that won’t really limit you anywhere. One could probably argue that it is too much bike for a 1st bike and something in the 130-140 range might be a better all arounder but I think you’ll be fine unless your buddies are all cross country racers.

I originally started looking for a Ripley AF but can’t find one. I did find a Ripmo AF Deore that will be available soon according to the bike shop.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Has anyone taken on the project of adding additional chainstay/seatstay silencing on a 2021? My 2019 was very quiet with the big cushy chainstay guard, but my '21 makes all kinds of slapping noises on the trail, and I'm seeing chips in the paint on the underside of the seatstay pretty far from where that tiny guard is.

And yes, the clutch on my Shimano derailleur is on and properly adjusted.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
RHR919 wrote:
Gene158 wrote:
RHR919 wrote:
Would the TR Race be a good first bike? I’m also looking at the YT Jeffsy Core 3.
I don't see why not but let's narrow it down. What kind of riding are you looking to do with the bike?

Just basic to intermediate trails. No big drops or jumps.

For trails like that then I would say yes and no. If I did smoother blue trails a lot I'd be looking at one of the new wave of down country bikes. Norco optic springs to mind.

On the other hand, the race is a great bike that will do anything you want. Looks awesome, coils are cool as well.

It's your money and your bike, buy one you like. Love my race.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
alexbg wrote:
RHR919 wrote:
Gene158 wrote:

I don't see why not but let's narrow it down. What kind of riding are you looking to do with the bike?

For trails like that then I would say yes and no. If I did smoother blue trails a lot I'd be looking at one of the new wave of down country bikes. Norco optic springs to mind.

On the other hand, the race is a great bike that will do anything you want. Looks awesome, coils are cool as well.

I think the Essential is a better first purchase. It's cheaper, lighter, and still has a solid build.(also not sram) He can spend the extra $$$$ on upgrades down the line. I've ridden those newer downcountry bikes like the Izzo, and 429 and still prefer the TR. While you can definitely smash those bikes faster uphill they give up a lot on the downsides. I'll ride park DH, and big jump trails on the TR. I definitely would not be hitting that stuff on either of those bikes. Splitting hairs, I don't think this bike has to have a coil to be super capable either. I'm still rockin 150mm fork, and dpx2 in the back..

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
PhoS wrote:
alexbg wrote:
RHR919 wrote:

I think the Essential is a better first purchase. It's cheaper, lighter, and still has a solid build.(also not sram) He can spend the extra $$$$ on upgrades down the line. I've ridden those newer downcountry bikes like the Izzo, and 429 and still prefer the TR. While you can definitely smash those bikes faster uphill they give up a lot on the downsides. I'll ride park DH, and big jump trails on the TR. I definitely would not be hitting that stuff on either of those bikes. Splitting hairs, I don't think this bike has to have a coil to be super capable either. I'm still rockin 150mm fork, and dpx2 in the back..

I agree the Essential is better value, and I also don't really like the coil on my Race (I'd prefer to have an air spring that I can set up 100% perfectly, instead of having to get 95% of the way there after buying new springs). However, "not Sram" is such a stupid reason not to get a bike. GX and X01 drivetrains are f*cking fantastic, as are Codes and G2s. I have no idea why it's popular to hate on them online.

I think MetaTR is fine as a first bike, however, new school geometry will feel radically different to a typical bicycle. So might take some getting used to compared to whatever you've ridden before. As far as new school bikes go though, they rip right out of the box. I'm very happy with mine, and would be very happy on an Essential too.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
The TR race has been ordered boys. so stoked!

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
Mitch243 wrote:
PhoS wrote:
alexbg wrote:

I agree the Essential is better value, and I also don't really like the coil on my Race (I'd prefer to have an air spring that I can set up 100% perfectly, instead of having to get 95% of the way there after buying new springs). However, "not Sram" is such a stupid reason not to get a bike. GX and X01 drivetrains are f*cking fantastic, as are Codes and G2s. I have no idea why it's popular to hate on them online.

I think MetaTR is fine as a first bike, however, new school geometry will feel radically different to a typical bicycle. So might take some getting used to compared to whatever you've ridden before. As far as new school bikes go though, they rip right out of the box. I'm very happy with mine, and would be very happy on an Essential too.

My main reason for choosing the TR is their website is showing July availability. The Essential is October.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
RHR919 wrote:
Mitch243 wrote:
PhoS wrote:

My main reason for choosing the TR is their website is showing July availability. The Essential is October.

I wouldn't plan anything around those dates. All 3 bikes I've ordered from them were each delayed for some reason or another.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
lbro23 wrote:
Has anyone taken on the project of adding additional chainstay/seatstay silencing on a 2021? My 2019 was very quiet with the big cushy chainstay guard, but my '21 makes all kinds of slapping noises on the trail, and I'm seeing chips in the paint on the underside of the seatstay pretty far from where that tiny guard is.

And yes, the clutch on my Shimano derailleur is on and properly adjusted.

i put the 3M 2228 ( that´s what slappertape is) on nearly every part of the chain- and seatstay where the rubber guard doesn´t cover the frame. In addition to that i put some Tesa 50118 (what the car industry uses for wrapping cables) inside my upper chainguide and last but not least the STFU Bike stuff.

With all that my bike is nearly silent. I only hear the tires and suspension..

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
FreeRider2111 wrote:
i put the 3M 2228 ( that´s what slappertape is) on nearly every part of the chain- and seatstay where the rubber guard doesn´t cover the frame. In addition to that i put some Tesa 50118 (what the car industry uses for wrapping cables) inside my upper chainguide and last but not least the STFU Bike stuff.

With all that my bike is nearly silent. I only hear the tires and suspension..

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can get some of that 2228 stuff at the local hardware store. As for the other stuff, I can't make my bike too quiet because then my csu creak will start to bother me.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
Any one else have trouble weighting the front wheel I've rolled my bars slightly forward and I'm going to lower the stem a couple of spacers any other recommendations?

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
Any one else have trouble weighting the front wheel I've rolled my bars slightly forward and I'm going to lower the stem a couple of spacers any other recommendations?

Not anymore. Just had to spend time getting comfortable on a longer bike. Once I got over my fear of riding further forward into turns I was good. I spent quite a bit of time riding flat loose turns at lower speeds trying to see what body position offered the most grip.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 19:01 Quote
Upduro wrote:
Anyone here has the Cascade link yet, preferably with a coil shock? I messaged them on insta and they said to stick with the heavier if the two springs I’m running atm.

Currently, I love the grip with the 500 spring but find that it goes through the travel a bit too quick on big fast hits. With the 550 spring I don’t bottom out but it becomes a rather rough ride on chatter and small bumps.

On paper it sounds like the perfect solution but 420 bucks (heh) is still a good bit of cash to drop on a single link, when it’s something that could maybe also be solved with a 525lbs spring.

I am and kept the 500 spring. Only had it out for 2 rides so far and love it. I am not smashing through the travel o the bigger hits the way I used to and feels plusher than before as well. I have smashed my knee now so wont be back on it for a couple more weeks, but for me was a great investment.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
Front end on my Meta Am is 7 - 8 cm longer compared to my old trail bike and heaving my front wheel weighted enough was my biggest fear. Especially after reading that idiotic review on Enduro mag.

However, now after 20 good rides I still don't understand what all the fuss was about. My front wheel never slipped. Not even once.
Ok, I did start lightly because I was biased. I was expecting it to skid around. Byt never happened.

Of course, maybe the reason could be that I instinctively ride with my upper body more forward. Before I always felt like I'm hanging far over my handlebars and now maybe for the first time in my life I feel comfortable with enough room betweenme and my handlebars.

I have another problem. Because of the wonderful weather that we enjoy this Summer, I've been in bike park just once and my jumping is messed up. I'm nose diving all the time.
I know that I'll have to change my technique somehow but I just didn't have time to practice enough. I haven't noticed that on small jumps on my local trails but in bike park and with higher speed it is quite scary

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
Regarding the very frustrating bottle fit:
I ordered these Topeak Alt-Position cage mounts, and they+side entry work for a 620ml bottle without fouling on the piggyback.

I still have no idea why Commencal didn't just put the cage mounting bolts ~30mm further along the downtube.
There is no clash with the suspension rocker.

Stack height is a bit shit. The Bird angle mount would be better, but not as easy to get here in Norway.

photo
photo
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013229
Mobile Version of Website