All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
Upduro wrote:
So what’s the consensus on FC/RC balance on the 2021 meta? I like how comparably nimble my 2019 meta is, but with the angleset it does feel a bit short and I had some pretty sketchy moments during last weeks enduro race where I found myself hanging over the front wheel a bit too much and lacked the confidence in some of the steep fast sections.

Currently thinking about going frame only and just swapping all my parts over, maybe switch the DHX2 for an ext down the road for the hydraulic bottom out.

I like short chainstays so that’s not the problem, but 495 reach seems massive, and with a shorter stem the problem of weighing the front wheel that was (sort of exaggerated) described in the enduro mag review might become more prevalent.

Or was that review nonsense and it’s just a question of getting used to a different position on the bike? A smaller more nimble bike can probably make a lot of sense for a rider who has the skills and confidence, but I’m not that rider and it feels like I’m currently looking for a bit of a crutch to help me in that regard lol

On the other hand I’m a bit worried that going 40mm longer in reach might be a tad overboard.

How tall are you?

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 at 23:43 Quote
Morning all,Meta newbie here,about to buy a Meta am 29er 2020,would anyone please point me the right direction what mech hanger I need to get pls,just wanna get it done asap to have a spare one.
Thx in advance

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 0:10 Quote
balazsgalambos wrote:
Morning all,Meta newbie here,about to buy a Meta am 29er 2020,would anyone please point me the right direction what mech hanger I need to get pls,just wanna get it done asap to have a spare one.
Thx in advance

First: Check out
https://www.reddit.com/r/commencal?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Second: Hanger you need
https://www.commencalusa.com/rear-hanger-for-all-meta-v4-c2x16228207

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 1:07 Quote
MTB-Ohana wrote:
Upduro wrote:
So what’s the consensus on FC/RC balance on the 2021 meta? I like how comparably nimble my 2019 meta is, but with the angleset it does feel a bit short and I had some pretty sketchy moments during last weeks enduro race where I found myself hanging over the front wheel a bit too much and lacked the confidence in some of the steep fast sections.

Currently thinking about going frame only and just swapping all my parts over, maybe switch the DHX2 for an ext down the road for the hydraulic bottom out.

I like short chainstays so that’s not the problem, but 495 reach seems massive, and with a shorter stem the problem of weighing the front wheel that was (sort of exaggerated) described in the enduro mag review might become more prevalent.

Or was that review nonsense and it’s just a question of getting used to a different position on the bike? A smaller more nimble bike can probably make a lot of sense for a rider who has the skills and confidence, but I’m not that rider and it feels like I’m currently looking for a bit of a crutch to help me in that regard lol

On the other hand I’m a bit worried that going 40mm longer in reach might be a tad overboard.

How tall are you?

183 cm

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 4:10 Quote
How tall are you?[/Quote]

183 cm[/Quote]

I am 179cm with long torso/short legs, and I am riding a large at the moment. It definitely isn't the most nimble bike, and I'm thinking about replacing it with a size medium but that is also largely because my local trails are all very tight. Have mine with a 33.5mm length stem and haven't found any problems with that either.

I think the FC/RC does feel a little unequal, especially when going down lots of rollable step-downs/chunky rocks on the trail, but I haven't struggled at all with weighting the front in corners or steep terrain. I don't think the Enduro Mag review was entirely wrong, but as you say I think they exaggerated the problem, or just didn't adapt to ride the bike the way it needs to be ridden.

Given you're taller than me I think you'd probably be able to make it work.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
Upduro wrote:
So what’s the consensus on FC/RC balance on the 2021 meta?

Or was that review nonsense and it’s just a question of getting used to a different position on the bike?

1) It's balanced.

2) 495 seems massive. I agree.
I went from 445 to 495 and love it! I'm 183 cm tall with longer arms and torso.
I think that even if I was a couple of cm shorter, this bike still wouldn't be too big.

3) Enduro mag review was a nonsense.

4) If now you can feel that sometimes you're hanging over handlebars, you'll be just fine. I feel comfortable for the first time in my life

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
Regarding the balance, I have the AM in L and I have a Canyon Sender 2018 in XL. With the short CS setting on the Sender the FC/RC is almost exactly the same as on the Meta. The Meta has 852/433mm and the Sender has 851/430mm

I have ridden the Sender a lot with the short and the long CS (+16mm) and I 100% prefer it in the short setting. So regarding the balance it is all about personal preferences.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
Not a huge fan of super short CS. The TRs are borderline for me, totally ridable but doesn't balance perfectly for me in terms of pressure on front and rear. I would much prefer a 440-445 CS with the reach 475-485. My Power29 has a 475 reach, 453 CS and it feels great.

I will definitely be shopping for something with a longer rear end for my next frame. A TR mullet with 440+CS sounds pretty nice.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
Totally agree. Makes the bike a little too unstable for my purposes. I did end up installing offset bushings to lower the BB and slacken the HT to 64. The corners so well snd handles the steeps a bit better.
PhoS wrote:
Not a huge fan of super short CS. The TRs are borderline for me, totally ridable but doesn't balance perfectly for me in terms of pressure on front and rear. I would much prefer a 440-445 CS with the reach 475-485. My Power29 has a 475 reach, 453 CS and it feels great.

I will definitely be shopping for something with a longer rear end for my next frame. A TR mullet with 440CS sounds pretty nice.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
MTB-Ohana wrote:
meezo wrote:
anyone got a diy hack for the flimsy cable grommets?

What issue are you having with them?

So 2 years on, and in I was replacing the internal cable housing, when it completely disintegrated. So it needs replacing or a hack

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
meezo wrote:
MTB-Ohana wrote:
meezo wrote:
anyone got a diy hack for the flimsy cable grommets?

What issue are you having with them?

So 2 years on, and in I was replacing the internal cable housing, when it completely disintegrated. So it needs replacing or a hack

CommencalUSA has them in stock.. You could 3D print these out of TPU if you need a project..

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=2460710

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 4:34 Quote
PhoS wrote:

I will definitely be shopping for something with a longer rear end for my next frame. A TR mullet with 440+CS sounds pretty nice.

Thing is, I tried some longer chainstay bikes, Mega in L, Enduro in S4, etc, and with the alpine trails here in Austria they all felt kinda unwieldy. Enduro especially felt like a barge in corners. I think ideally I’d be on a 470-475 reach bike but try finding an affordable frameset in alloy with those measurements and short chainstays. Marine Alpine would be great if the paintjobs weren’t shit and the frame looked a bit better.

I think if Commencal had gone with 10-15mm more reach and a degree slacker hta on the 19 Meta it would have been the perfect bike for me, but that’s not the case so I guess I need to compromise somewhere, in this case front end length.

Im planning on eventually getting a short travel trailbike so I think I’m fine with having an enduro bike that is on the bigger side.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
10mm and 1 degree are a stem and an angle set away. No need for a frame.

I too like new bikes tho.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
Upduro wrote:

Thing is, I tried some longer chainstay bikes, Mega in L, Enduro in S4, etc, and with the alpine trails here in Austria they all felt kinda unwieldy.

I think were talking about two different things but that's ok. How tall are you? I'm 185cm and I can comfortably ride anything from 455-490 reach. I do notice some diminishing returns/unbalance when reach values start getting super long while retaining a short rear end, and like most I changed my riding style to adapt. (riding the front more aggressively) I like sporty climbing trail bikes for my trails here.(50/50 climbing/descend) If I needed more travel I would be going straight to the DH/Ebike. An ideal one bike for me would be like a Norco Sight, or Transition Sentinel.

The TR has been my daily driver for few years now. I have it built up somewhat beefy and it has been a great bike but it doesn't deliver benefit/return of a similar weighted longer travel bike. My main issues being the low BB (now 330mm with -1 angleset), and the weight for the travel. (34LBs, 36, XTR, carbon wheels, 2x cushcore XC) Like I said before I will be replacing this with something in the 140mm range that has similar geo (64-65HTA, 475-485 reach, 440-445mm cs), lighter weight, and more refined suspension design. I've got my eyes on the Propain Hugene at the moment.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
patisfaction wrote:
10mm and 1 degree are a stem and an angle set away. No need for a frame.

I too like new bikes tho.

already running a -1.5° angleset and a 50mm stem. The problem is that the angleset makes an already relatively short bike even shorter.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007731
Mobile Version of Website