All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 20:37 Quote
Maybe Commencal is shuffling their lineup to make room for a bigger super-enduro style bike which might have had too much overlap with the MetaAM.
Full 29er, 170mm+, high pivot would be on the wishlist for me.

Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 21:29 Quote
Sticking with my old formula.

50/50 climbing/descending = TR
If you don't do a bunch of climbing or want to bike park/shuttle get the AM.
Mullet is personal preference, I'd stick to full 29 for racing, mullet for fun having.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
Sendurito wrote:
Those are some good points. I was also thinking the move to mullet was to differentiate the AM from the TR further, as almost every review says the TR is like a “mini-enduro”, it makes it quite tough to choose between the two, seems to be a lot of overlap. Also the travel on the TR does seem to be creeping up, as now there are a couple models with 160 in front. So I’d agree it was a move to push the AM frame further apart from the TR.

I’m seriously on the fence between a 2022 TR (version with 160 in front) or a 2021 AM - and perhaps that blurred area between the two is what Commencal wanted to get rid of by making the SX…

Despite the Commencal propaganda regarding the 2022 TR line, the specs(Geometry) are exactly the same as the 2021 TR's. They discuss a flip chip, but don't provide any details. They also claim that there will be better climbing efficiencies realized with the 2022 model but I have my doubts. I can tell you from owning a 2021 Race that climbing is a grind due to the weight penalty. They list the bike at just under 35lbs, but I think that is extremely optimistic. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I bet it's closer to 40 than 35. I have a lighter stem and carbon bars on mine as well. It's a heavy pig. The climbing position with the 78.6 degree STA is great. It creates a very comfortable riding position but I absolutely wish I had a carbon frame and 5-7 less pounds to lug up hills and technical climbs.

It absolutely will crush any downhills and can hold it's own against full blown Enduro rigs. If that is the type of riding you do, then it's a great option and I would consider saving some money and get the 2021 model at a discount as I expect Commencal will be taking a price increase on the 2022. Someone has to pay for all of their fancy Videos they are making. I got my 2021 race in July of 2020 at $3999. It has since gone up $500 and I expect it will again for the 2022 TR's.

Overall I'm happy with the bike based on the price I paid and accept it for what it is. However, as the price creep jumps up the pricing, I would seriously look at some of the other long travel Trail/Enduro contenders that are available, especially if I can save some weight for a better all around rig.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 1:25 Quote
META TR ESSENTIAL ASH GREY 2022 Shows geo numbers wiht flip chip. STA goes from 78.6 to 77.1-77.5 and chain stay from 435 to 454-453 and HTA you can modify 0.4 wiht it.

Now i need think should i cancel my 2021 order for tr and change it to 2022.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 2:32 Quote
Rajis wrote:
META TR ESSENTIAL ASH GREY 2022 Shows geo numbers wiht flip chip. STA goes from 78.6 to 77.1-77.5 and chain stay from 435 to 454-453 and HTA you can modify 0.4 wiht it.

Now i need think should i cancel my 2021 order for tr and change it to 2022.

the update makes the bike sound even better and more versatile than the current model. Yes the wait will probably be longer, but if it was me, i would be going for the 2022 model.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 2:35 Quote
TBro wrote:
Sendurito wrote:
Those are some good points. I was also thinking the move to mullet was to differentiate the AM from the TR further, as almost every review says the TR is like a “mini-enduro”, it makes it quite tough to choose between the two, seems to be a lot of overlap. Also the travel on the TR does seem to be creeping up, as now there are a couple models with 160 in front. So I’d agree it was a move to push the AM frame further apart from the TR.

I’m seriously on the fence between a 2022 TR (version with 160 in front) or a 2021 AM - and perhaps that blurred area between the two is what Commencal wanted to get rid of by making the SX…

Despite the Commencal propaganda regarding the 2022 TR line, the specs(Geometry) are exactly the same as the 2021 TR's. They discuss a flip chip, but don't provide any details. They also claim that there will be better climbing efficiencies realized with the 2022 model but I have my doubts. I can tell you from owning a 2021 Race that climbing is a grind due to the weight penalty. They list the bike at just under 35lbs, but I think that is extremely optimistic. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I bet it's closer to 40 than 35. I have a lighter stem and carbon bars on mine as well. It's a heavy pig. The climbing position with the 78.6 degree STA is great. It creates a very comfortable riding position but I absolutely wish I had a carbon frame and 5-7 less pounds to lug up hills and technical climbs.

It absolutely will crush any downhills and can hold it's own against full blown Enduro rigs. If that is the type of riding you do, then it's a great option and I would consider saving some money and get the 2021 model at a discount as I expect Commencal will be taking a price increase on the 2022. Someone has to pay for all of their fancy Videos they are making. I got my 2021 race in July of 2020 at $3999. It has since gone up $500 and I expect it will again for the 2022 TR's.

Overall I'm happy with the bike based on the price I paid and accept it for what it is. However, as the price creep jumps up the pricing, I would seriously look at some of the other long travel Trail/Enduro contenders that are available, especially if I can save some weight for a better all around rig.

interesting feedback. Would be nice to hear what yours weigh. It seems these days people are less and less concerned about weight, as the bikes become more capable, but i still think its a semi important factor to consider.

I just moved bikes and the new one is about 6-7 lbs lighter than the previous and although it is slightly different style of bike, it just feels way more efficient and playful. A lot less effort to get up the hills or move about on the downs.

I have always liked the TR's and whilst i am not a weight weeny, it is still a consideration, which has probably been one of the factors stopping me for getting one. I appreciate not everyone has concerns of weight tho.... this is just one mans opinon!

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 16:23 Quote
I still have my ‘21 TR Race build size large for sale. Less than 200 miles. $3800 takes it for you North America based riders. Broke a handful of bones and won’t be riding for months.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
interesting feedback. Would be nice to hear what yours weigh. It seems these days people are less and less concerned about weight, as the bikes become more capable, but i still think its a semi important factor to consider.

I just moved bikes and the new one is about 6-7 lbs lighter than the previous and although it is slightly different style of bike, it just feels way more efficient and playful. A lot less effort to get up the hills or move about on the downs.

I have always liked the TR's and whilst i am not a weight weeny, it is still a consideration, which has probably been one of the factors stopping me for getting one. I appreciate not everyone has concerns of weight tho.... this is just one mans opinon!

my 2021 META AM in Size M weighs about 17,5kg or 37.5lbs..
yeah it is a f***ing heavy pig but 35km/1300hm or 22miles/4300ft are no real problem for me. slow and steady is the way to go.

my 2016 Specialized Enduro was way lighter but the steep seatangle, the slack headtubeangle and the longer reach make the META far more comfortable especialy since its the replacement for both the Specialized and my DH Bike.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
Is this STFU Bike really necessary? I think that my AM is unbelievably quiet bike

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 18:21 Quote
Just want to add to both post top of mine.

My META AM is the quietest bike I ever owned. It is crazy silent. I love it. You are 100% right. Pretty sure the STFU isn't a good buy, you would know.

Also, the climbing position is SO good, this is also so true. I can sit and wing it forever. Sure, it's heavy. But I am so comfortable. Would not change anything geo wise to save 5 lbs.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
pakleni wrote:
Is this STFU Bike really necessary? I think that my AM is unbelievably quiet bike

necessary? not really but if you are willing to take that extra step to be completely sure that the bike is quiet then yes those bucks are well spend.

since my Glory was near silent i wanted to make sure my META AM ist as silent as possible

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 1:00 Quote
Hi everyone,
I am currently considering a Meta TR 29 to buy (22er version) and am with 190cm/6'3" (90.5cm/35,6" inseam) exactly between the sizes L and XL. Since my current bike (Megatower in XL) is too short in front, I'm leaning towards the XL, but I'm not 100% sure. The bike should be used universally for home trails as well as now and then for bike park and medium-term one or the other enduro race. What do you think, tendency rather to up- or downsizing?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 2:46 Quote
zombiezebra wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am currently considering a Meta TR 29 to buy (22er version) and am with 190 (90.5 inseam) exactly between the sizes L and XL. Since my current bike (Megatower in XL) is too short in front, I'm leaning towards the XL, but I'm not 100% sure. The bike should be used universally for home trails as well as now and then for bike park and medium-term one or the other enduro race. What do you think, tendency rather to up- or downsizing?

Well, if the XL Megatower is roughly the same length like Large Meta and you find it kinda short.. I would say that it's pretty much clear what should you choose

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 3:21 Quote
pakleni wrote:
zombiezebra wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am currently considering a Meta TR 29 to buy (22er version) and am with 190 (90.5 inseam) exactly between the sizes L and XL. Since my current bike (Megatower in XL) is too short in front, I'm leaning towards the XL, but I'm not 100% sure. The bike should be used universally for home trails as well as now and then for bike park and medium-term one or the other enduro race. What do you think, tendency rather to up- or downsizing?

Well, if the XL Megatower is roughly the same length like Large Meta and you find it kinda short.. I would say that it's pretty much clear what should you choose

Thanks, absolutely true, I am still interested to know if there is anyone with +/- the same body measurements who already rides the Meta TR in L or XL and can share their experience.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
FreeRider2111 wrote:
pakleni wrote:

necessary? not really but if you are willing to take that extra step to be completely sure that the bike is quiet then yes those bucks are well spend.

since my Glory was near silent i wanted to make sure my META AM ist as silent as possible
I don’t blame you, the meta is pretty loud

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008964
Mobile Version of Website