All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Author Message
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 1:10 Quote
Henrique2000 wrote:
Hi guys! I would like to know if the 2019 and 2020 commencal meta 29 size large have the same reach/wheelbase or if they made any changes. In some websites they say it´s the same but in others claim that it´s bigger... If anyone knows this, please let me know.
Cheers

https://www.bike-stats.de/geometrie_vergleich?Bike1=Commencal_Meta%20AM%2029_2021_L&Bike2=Commencal_Meta%20AM%2029_2020_L

here is a german site where a lot of bikes are listed as you can see the 2021 has 35mm more Reach and a 63mm longer wheelbase

the bikes in my picture above are a 2020 in size M and a 2021 in size M

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 3:02 Quote
If you can get it in May, it's pretty much that season model. At least in my book

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 3:51 Quote
pakleni wrote:
If you can get it in May, it's pretty much that season model. At least in my book

Yes but your opinion doesn’t change the manufacturers naming structure. Although I think they call it the Meta 29.2 now.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 4:24 Quote
Upduro wrote:
pakleni wrote:
MY 2020 (came out middle of the 2020) is completely redesigned. Much longer reach and wheelbase, slacker head angle and steeper seat angle

On the pic just above your post you can see the differences

That‘s MY2021

2019 and 2020 have the same frame design, but in some places it says 460 or 465 reach. I think they’re the same frame and it’s just down to measuring inaccuracies, in the Supreme review from Dan Roberts there was quite a difference between geo table and actual geometry.

Yes, that´s what is confusing me ahaha and in other places says that the 2020 model has 468mm of reach. Probably is what you are saying... measuring inaccuracies.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 4:40 Quote
Upduro wrote:
pakleni wrote:
If you can get it in May, it's pretty much that season model. At least in my book

Yes but your opinion doesn’t change the manufacturers naming structure. Although I think they call it the Meta 29.2 now.

2021 is even written on the frame in roman numbers.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 5:45 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Because I do want a DH bike and the Meta would still be an awesome park bike for those who like big wheels in the park.

I prefer either 27.5 wheels or to go all the way with a giant beast of a rig in the park. Luckily Commencal makes both, the Supreme and FRS. Which one I'd choose, IDK

Every Meta I've ever ridden in the park worked very well there.

A modern enduro bike =/= a modern DH bike. If you reread what I said I advocated it as if the Meta was your ONLY bike. To be honest, if I go with a Supreme for park and DH next year, I'll still take the Meta AM to the park some days if it's still in the stable by then. Some days a smaller bike is sufficient, some days I want to ride a rig

Hey mate, was in very similar situation, I ended up going with a Meta TR as trails near me are a little more mellow, I took the Meta TR to the park a few times and had a blast, the bike was more than capable in the park even with the shorter travel trail versions. I did end up getting a Commencal FRS for the park as i continued to ride there, as great as modern enduro/trail bikes are, not much stacks up to a modern DH bike when it comes to blasting through the park. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:24 Quote
Will commencal be discontinuing the meta AM 29? I see that they have the new meta sx but they don't list any '22 versions of the meta AM 29.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:54 Quote
Gene158 wrote:
Will commencal be discontinuing the meta AM 29? I see that they have the new meta sx but they don't list any '22 versions of the meta AM 29.

as far as i understand there will be the meta TR 29 and the meta SX as a mullet but no meta AM 29

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
I asked their customer service if there will be a new am29 at some point, but they say for now the SX is the new one. I think they’re still making the am29, but just with the current geometry.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
Upduro wrote:
I asked their customer service if there will be a new am29 at some point, but they say for now the SX is the new one. I think they’re still making the am29, but just with the current geometry.

I’d like to try out the mullet bike but am sure there are just as many people that would prefer the am29 to the sx no? Gotta admit, im tempted to buy the wrp link to try out the 27.5 out back but am so happy with how this bike rides as a full 29er that I’ll prob leave it as is.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 12:02 Quote
Henrique2000 wrote:
Hi guys! I would like to know if the 2019 and 2020 commencal meta 29 size large have the same reach/wheelbase or if they made any changes. In some websites they say it´s the same but in others claim that it´s bigger... If anyone knows this, please let me know.
Cheers
The difference you are seeing is probably because you are looking at some models with a 150mm fork and some with a 160mm fork. The taller fork would slightly reduce reach and slightly increase wheelbase. There weren't any changes to frame geo from MY2019 to MY2020

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
FreeRider2111 wrote:
Henrique2000 wrote:
Hi guys! I would like to know if the 2019 and 2020 commencal meta 29 size large have the same reach/wheelbase or if they made any changes. In some websites they say it´s the same but in others claim that it´s bigger... If anyone knows this, please let me know.
Cheers

https://www.bike-stats.de/geometrie_vergleich?Bike1=Commencal_Meta%20AM%2029_2021_L&Bike2=Commencal_Meta%20AM%2029_2020_L

here is a german site where a lot of bikes are listed as you can see the 2021 has 35mm more Reach and a 63mm longer wheelbase

the bikes in my picture above are a 2020 in size M and a 2021 in size M

Thanks for posting the link, beat me to it.
I just created the entry for the 2021 Meta AM a couple of days ago Smile

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
ryan198232 wrote:
Upduro wrote:
I asked their customer service if there will be a new am29 at some point, but they say for now the SX is the new one. I think they’re still making the am29, but just with the current geometry.

I’d like to try out the mullet bike but am sure there are just as many people that would prefer the am29 to the sx no? Gotta admit, im tempted to buy the wrp link to try out the 27.5 out back but am so happy with how this bike rides as a full 29er that I’ll prob leave it as is.

I definitley prefer full 29er. It sucks that the Supreme DH is only available as a mullet now and you don't even have the option anymore to run it as a full 29er. Like, why not leave that choice to the rider? Most other brands have at least managed to include a flip chip so that the rider can choose what they want...

At this point I've read and watched pretty much every "29er vs. Mullet"-test from every magazine under the sun and they basically all conclude that the mullet only makes sense if you are too small to run a full 29er. In no article did the testers conclude that they generally prefer a mullet setup over a 29er. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to push the mixed wheel concept as hard as Commencal does.

I hope Commencal will not do the same thing to the Meta and cancel the AM 29 in favor of the SX.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:47 Quote
in 2020 the sizes all grew about 8mm in reach I think.

my Large was a 468mm reach, up from 460 the year before. Chainstay, head angle and seat tube stayed the same.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 22:58 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
I hope Commencal will not do the same thing to the Meta and cancel the AM 29 in favor of the SX.

I'm pretty much sure that SX is just a bridge until the new 29er comes. Probably with both options.

That's why they still make the "old" AM and why is called SX and not AM (MY 2022)


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006824
Mobile Version of Website