All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
Malky79 wrote:
I fitted one on an XL frame with no issues.

Nice! I also picked up a XL. Just curious, what's your height and inseam? I'm 6'1 with 34'' inseam. XL seemed to be the best for my size. Also coming off a XL Kona precept 150 with similar reach numbers

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
joshbaribeau wrote:
Malky79 wrote:
I fitted one on an XL frame with no issues.

Nice! I also picked up a XL. Just curious, what's your height and inseam? I'm 6'1 with 34'' inseam. XL seemed to be the best for my size. Also coming off a XL Kona precept 150 with similar reach numbers

I'm just under 6'3", probably about the same inseam. XL is definitely the right size for me. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new bike.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
Thanks for taking that measurement.

Nice looking build! How do you like the move up from M to L? By chance could you mention your height?

Jessarpi wrote:
This thread was invaluable for me.. cheers to everyone who has posted.

I put a Bike Yoke 160mm dropper in my Large Meta AM 29.. just fit for my leg length.

I am also having issues with the rear derailleur cable getting squashed between the chain guide and the bottom pivot / bearing. I was thinking worst case of getting an Archer Components Dx1 Electronic shifter to eliminate the ghost / non shifting... expensive problem to have though Frown

This bike is awesome!

Seems Brasher and I had similar ideas with the Worlds Frame.
Photo's just don't seem to show how good the Worlds Frame looks!

Here's a photo of mine.

Commencal AM 29 2020 Worlds Frame

I also have a Medium WC Frame for sale if anyone is interested.. comes with the Fabric Seat and Reverb Dropper post, bottom bracket and headset.
I used most of the parts to build the large... It's brand new and can go back in the box.
Located in Melbourne, Australia.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 19:45 Quote
To anyone worrying about chain guide interfering with the shifter cable. I had that problem with a absolute black guide. It spaces the top guide rather than the whole backing plate.
To get over this problem I set up the top guide with no spacers and just spaced out the whole guide with an e-thirteen spacer kit (basically just 6mm washers)
After this it was a lot better but not perfect so I used a half round file to take some of the extra meat off of the guide where the cable passes. It works perfectly now with about 1mm clearance and my ghost shifting issues have gone.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 2:28 Quote
Anyone tried converting their AM29 to a mullet bike yet? (27.5 rear wheel).

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
Ninj4Bee wrote:
Anyone tried converting their AM29 to a mullet bike yet? (27.5 rear wheel).

BB would be deadly low.

Always a better bet putting a 29 front on a 650B bike in my experience then offset bushing to bring BB back down a tad and have that bad boy raked out.

If I can find a Meta SX frame here in Aus that will be my next project, Mullet bike park machine!

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 11:29 Quote
Arierep wrote:
themiltonator wrote:
campasternak wrote:
Can anyone comment on the sizing? I'm 5'8 and coming off a Medium YT which I felt was a little on the small size. Would a medium be the right size for me?
I’m 5’ 9” and the Medium is spot on for me. Came off a 2019 Transition Sentinel Medium.

How would you compare the Meta to the Sentinel?

Even though the Sentinel has 10mm less travel IMHO they’re both feel equally capable of plowing! However the 64 HTA on the sentinel was too slack for me and made it sluggish when the trail wasn’t steep or straight. Whereas the 65.5 HTA on the Meta makes it feel snappy. I really felt the wagon wheels on my Sentinel but now on my Meta.

So yeah, I love my Meta. No regrets. Hope that helps.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
themiltonator wrote:
Arierep wrote:
themiltonator wrote:

I’m 5’ 9” and the Medium is spot on for me. Came off a 2019 Transition Sentinel Medium.

How would you compare the Meta to the Sentinel?

Even though the Sentinel has 10mm less travel IMHO they’re both feel equally capable of plowing! However the 64 HTA on the sentinel was too slack for me and made it sluggish when the trail wasn’t steep or straight. Whereas the 65.5 HTA on the Meta makes it feel snappy. I really felt the wagon wheels on my Sentinel but now on my Meta.

So yeah, I love my Meta. No regrets. Hope that helps.

Same feeling with my old stumpy evo, seems there is a "too slack".

The Meta just does everything very well! That rear suspension platform is a magic carpet. The handling is snappy but can still hold it's own in wide open sections. It's like a 9/10 in every way besides weight lol.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
I’m 5-7, 30” inseam. Think I can get away with a 150mm (or more even) dropper on a medium frame?

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 17:17 Quote
Brasher wrote:

The Meta just does everything very well! That rear suspension platform is a magic carpet. The handling is snappy but can still hold it's own in wide open sections. It's like a 9/10 in every way besides weight lol.

Have you gotten around to playing with the DHX2 so far? Would be interested in what settings you run considering I'm on the same springrate and similar in weight.

Would love to finally f*ckin go out and ride if it wasn't raining all the time and Fox weren't taking their sweet time with my fork service.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
Upduro wrote:
Brasher wrote:

Have you gotten around to playing with the DHX2 so far? Would be interested in what settings you run considering I'm on the same springrate and similar in weight.

Would love to finally f*ckin go out and ride if it wasn't raining all the time and Fox weren't taking their sweet time with my fork service.

I have a little bit but it's far from dialled.

6 clicks from closed for all adjustors to start as per tuning guide chart B & 550lb spring

I've since OPENED LSR 4 more clicks and closed LSC 2 clicks.

So would be from closed:

LSR - 10 clicks
LSC - 4 clicks
HSC - 6 clicks
HSR - 6 clicks

I think the High speed circuits will need tweaking when I go to a progressive spring but cant make my mind up between the 500+ or the 550+ MRP springs.675lb end rate on the 550+ sounds excessive.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 1:45 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
I’m 5-7, 30” inseam. Think I can get away with a 150mm (or more even) dropper on a medium frame?

I think that you won't have a problem if you use the oneup 150 dropper which has the shortest stack, and you can even shim it to 140 mm or 130 mm if by any chance there is not enough clearance. You can also look up saddles with low stack between the rails ans the top of the saddle.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 2:21 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Upduro wrote:
Brasher wrote:

6 clicks from closed for all adjustors to start as per tuning guide chart B & 550lb spring

So would be from closed:

LSR - 10 clicks
LSC - 4 clicks
HSC - 6 clicks
HSR - 6 clicks

I think the High speed circuits will need tweaking when I go to a progressive spring but cant make my mind up between the 500+ or the 550+ MRP springs.675lb end rate on the 550+ sounds excessive.

Do you feel like the progressive coil is necessary? When I messaged mrp they said the Meta doesn’t really need one, but I could use one to get more „poppyness“ and run really low HSC. So I think I’m just going to try and get the fixed spring dialed in, then ride it half a season and see how it works.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 2:39 Quote
Upduro wrote:
Brasher wrote:
Upduro wrote:

So would be from closed:

LSR - 10 clicks
LSC - 4 clicks
HSC - 6 clicks
HSR - 6 clicks

Do you feel like the progressive coil is necessary? When I messaged mrp they said the Meta doesn’t really need one, but I could use one to get more „poppyness“ and run really low HSC. So I think I’m just going to try and get the fixed spring dialed in, then ride it half a season and see how it works.

I was thinking the same thing today actually. I did bottom out but it wasn’t bone jarring like the stumpy with coil was. The dhx2 bumper is quite soft which is nice.

I can see some issues controlling high speed rebound with a progressive spring. Would be nice to lower high speed compression a bit however. I think it’s one of those things you won’t know until you try it. Unfortunately they ain’t cheap!

What I’m going to do is buy/borrow a 500lb steel spring, see if that’s too soft, then base my decision from there as to which progressive spring I’ll try.

Who knows, the meta might be perfect with a good old spring at 30% and all this mucking around was for nothing haha.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
Jessarpi wrote:
This thread was invaluable for me.. cheers to everyone who has posted.

I put a Bike Yoke 160mm dropper in my Large Meta AM 29.. just fit for my leg length.

I am also having issues with the rear derailleur cable getting squashed between the chain guide and the bottom pivot / bearing. I was thinking worst case of getting an Archer Components Dx1 Electronic shifter to eliminate the ghost / non shifting... expensive problem to have though Frown

This bike is awesome!

Seems Brasher and I had similar ideas with the Worlds Frame.
Photo's just don't seem to show how good the Worlds Frame looks!

Here's a photo of mine.

Commencal AM 29 2020 Worlds Frame

I also have a Medium WC Frame for sale if anyone is interested.. comes with the Fabric Seat and Reverb Dropper post, bottom bracket and headset.
I used most of the parts to build the large... It's brand new and can go back in the box.
Located in Melbourne, Australia.

What made you decide to go through the hassle of changing frame sizes? I reckon I must be pretty similar leg length given your 160mm revive being slammed right down on the size large.

I'm 176cm with 84cm inseam and was reckoning on the large, even though commencal size chart has me on the M.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007290
Mobile Version of Website