All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
Listened to the Lyle Hyslop downtime podcast today, apparently Greg Minnaar said a mullet feels like you’re running an XC tire on the back lol

One of the things that turned me off of the SX was definitely the less traction and rollover of the 27.5 wheel

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
Upduro wrote:
Listened to the Lyle Hyslop downtime podcast today, apparently Greg Minnaar said a mullet feels like you’re running an XC tire on the back lol

One of the things that turned me off of the SX was definitely the less traction and rollover of the 27.5 wheel

one thing about podcasts is dont ever take advice from them.
Greg is very tall and rides 29er all the time from as soon as he could.

You hardly notice the roll over effects in the rear, unrelated(sorry) i have the new 2022 trance x 27.5, I notice the downhill rolling speed more than anything but with 2.6 tyres/tires i dont notice the rollover, When compared to my 2.5/2.4 29er.
my new trance X also pedals way lighter than the 29er 100%.

FYI, on average for the same tyre/tire width, especially in the thicker ones, 2.4-2.6 is only like 3% less contact patch than 29er, if you notice that - maybe you should be a pro...

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 15:47 Quote
Kamperk87 wrote:
Henrique2000 wrote:
chize wrote:

The difference you are seeing is probably because you are looking at some models with a 150mm fork and some with a 160mm fork. The taller fork would slightly reduce reach and slightly increase wheelbase. There weren't any changes to frame geo from MY2019 to MY2020

I don´t think that´s the issue. Because all metas come with a 170mm fork. But thanks for charing Smile

I thought the issue with mullet bikes is that people have to keep their weight more forward to help with front wheel traction? Full 29er puts the rider a bit further back to keep the same front wheel traction?

Front end traction is a simple matter of front to rear centre ratio. The previous gen meta 18-20, whilst it had a short chain stay, didn't have a ridiculous long reach (besides the XL) and the ratio was in the ballpark so to speak.

The current gen meta, whilst maintaining that short CS, increased reach and slackened the H/A, for many this was welcomed, but you really need to maintain front weight bias to load the front wheel, which when tired or on flatter terrain can be a bit difficult.

The solution is somewhat a simple one, longer chainstays! It drives the front wheel into the ground, centralizes the riders weight and allows the rider to be neutral in body position to react as required.

But what about the cornering blah blah blah..... it's a non event, in fact longer chainstays, for me improve cornering, especially on flat non banked corners.

My new bike (not a commencal) has 63deg H/A, 463mm CS, 505mm reach, 1336mm wheelbase! It handles great and the front end grip, despite the numbers suggest is insane!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 0:45 Quote
pakleni wrote:
You could have stretch out a bit and went with Large so that we can get a review of the size we are actually interested in Wink

I'll make sure to buy another one large LOL.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:52 Quote
Finally got this beast put together! Received the WRP mullet link today and got it all installed. Also added a progressive spring on my bomber and it feels good. Super plush at the top but good ramp up, at least in the garage it feels like that! Can’t wait for spring time for the maiden voyage. Super excited! https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb21956944/p3pb21956944.jpg

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
whattheheel wrote:

Thank you lol. New to the forums

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 0:51 Quote
T00Holmes wrote:
Finally got this beast put together! Received the WRP mullet link today and got it all installed. Also added a progressive spring on my bomber and it feels good. Super plush at the top but good ramp up, at least in the garage it feels like that! Can’t wait for spring time for the maiden voyage. Super excited! https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb21956944/p3pb21956944.jpg

Post that bad boy up at https://www.reddit.com/r/commencal?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
T00Holmes wrote:

EDIT: Never mind, I just realized it's a Meta TR, not a Meta AM.

Please do let us know how the Bomber CR shock works for you reliability wise!

Fox actually says that the Fox/Marzocchi coil shocks aren't officially compatible with the Meta AM frame, because the yoke is too long. Commencal support also says that neiter RockShox nor Fox/Marzocchi coil shocks are officially supported.

The only coil shock that is officially supported on the Meta AM is the Öhlins TTX2M, as it comes with spherical bushings that can deal with the lateral forces.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Polished frame looks so sick!

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 7:11 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
T00Holmes wrote:

Fox actually says that the Fox/Marzocchi coil shocks aren't officially compatible with the Meta AM frame, because the yoke is too long. Commencal support also says that neiter RockShox nor Fox/Marzocchi coil shocks are officially supported.

The only coil shock that is officially supported on the Meta AM is the Öhlins TTX2M, as it comes with spherical bushings that can deal with the lateral forces.

Yes it is a TR, but if you don’t mind I’ll still weigh in on the subject of the bomber.

I ran it all last season. I never ran the air shock that came on it, I swapped it right out of the box. I did run a regular, linear spring and really didn’t have have issues bottoming out (although the local trails are not that extreme, largest drops are maybe 3 feet). I swapped to a progressive spring just to see how it would feel mostly. I liked the way it felt last season, just wanted to see if it improves the “poppy-ness” of the bike while still remaining supple in the beginning of the stroke.

Another reason I swapped was because of some of the talk on this forum, that it’s too linear and can cause the shock to fail. I was wanting to swap to a progressive spring anyway, so I took that as an invitation to make the change. I hope the progressive spring will help avoid any issues with damaging my shock.

I did now know however about the special bushings that can handle the excessive force placed on them.

With that being said, I’ve taken the shock off the bike quite a bit between swapping springs and cleanings. I have never noticed any unusual wear around any of the hardware, bushings etc.

Hope the feed back is somewhat helpful for you AM riders!

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
T00Holmes wrote:
Muscovir wrote:
T00Holmes wrote:

Yes it is a TR, but if you don’t mind I’ll still weigh in on the subject of the bomber.

I ran it all last season. I never ran the air shock that came on it, I swapped it right out of the box. I did run a regular, linear spring and really didn’t have have issues bottoming out (although the local trails are not that extreme, largest drops are maybe 3 feet). I swapped to a progressive spring just to see how it would feel mostly. I liked the way it felt last season, just wanted to see if it improves the “poppy-ness” of the bike while still remaining supple in the beginning of the stroke.

Another reason I swapped was because of some of the talk on this forum, that it’s too linear and can cause the shock to fail. I was wanting to swap to a progressive spring anyway, so I took that as an invitation to make the change. I hope the progressive spring will help avoid any issues with damaging my shock.

I did now know however about the special bushings that can handle the excessive force placed on them.

With that being said, I’ve taken the shock off the bike quite a bit between swapping springs and cleanings. I have never noticed any unusual wear around any of the hardware, bushings etc.

Hope the feed back is somewhat helpful for you AM riders!

Thanks! I’ve read quite a few others that are running a coil and are very happy with it. I am waiting on a bomber cr to try out on mine and already have an mrp progressive spring. I preferred a coil on my clash so hoping it’s ok on my AM.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 15:43 Quote
Regarding coil shocks, Commencal only says that they're compatible with the coil shock they spec on a particular year, but in 2019 the Meta AM had a RockShox, another model a FOX, last year they had an Ohlins... I called them (I'm running DVO shocks) and they said "we suggest using a shock that we spec" but had nothing to justify. I also asked them why the loose bushing in the clevis eyelet, and the engineers basically said that it's easier for tolerances and is cheaper to produce... I had OffsetBushings make me a regular shock pin bushing to fit with a standard DU to make sure that the shock stayed tight, which also helps keeping everything loading in the right direction. So they saved money but I spent it to get a better interface.

That said, EXT and DVO both are better for clevis-driven loads because they have bigger 14mm shafts. The new Jade X has an internally thicker shaft to handle the added forces that a clevis produces, and I had DVO install the new shaft on my regular Jade too. Did not have any issue with shaft wear or anything else in 2 seasons on my Jade X (20 Meta AM). YMMV but that's my experience. (Also running a Valt progressive spring). The DVO shocks have been used on the Ibis Ripmo AF since 2 full years and I haven't heard of a single breakage (clevis-driven shock too). DVO also said that the Commencals are better than most other brands in regards to lateral loads because of the way they are made.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 6:09 Quote
SimonJaeger wrote:
Now I'm glad to have bought my Meta AM before they discontinued it. I'm neiter stoked on mullets nor on high pivots. Have tried both and they both arent for me.

Same here!

I had the opportunity to do back to back testing with a mullet and 29er setup on the Propain Spindrift last year and I did not like the mullet at all.
Mullet had less grip, felt like it was getting hung up more and I felt less in control.
Personally, I just can't see any benefit of running the smaller rear wheel, but I'm also relatively tall.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008429
Mobile Version of Website