All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 13:01 Quote
alexbg wrote:
Macktory wrote:
Hey Team, I’m about to order a Meta essential build, but super torn between the AM ($6,800NZD) and TR (6,200NZD). I’ve read and watched a ridiculous amounts of reviews, and am leaning towards to the TR as I’m 70/30 ride up trails/ bike park. Has anyone bought the TR and wished they’d bought the AM instead? Just unsure if the extra 20mm travel is worth the $600NZD price difference, as the TR sounds like a pretty versatile 140mm weapon of a bike.

Cheers

I've seen a few posts of people trying to swap their AM for a TR but none the other way round. Sizing is a key thing as well, if you are between sizes of a TR you won't be on an AM and vice versa.

That’s good to hear, I’ll be putting an order in next week for a TR then, and increasing fork travel from 150mm-160mm. The sizing is the last issue, I’m 6’3 which is the end of the L size, but just inside the XL range, is anyone riding one of these TR sizes with a similar height to me? I’m not sure how to upload pics of the size chart but it states
Large : 5’10 - 6’3
XL : 6’2 - 6’11

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
I'm 5"11 on a large. You'd need an XL mate. I'm running a 40mm stem, and have fun 50mm as well, so whilst it's long, you should be on an XL at that height

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
Finished my meta sx 2022 build today.

First time I've built a bike from frame up but it's finally done. Had a little ride locally to test it out and it feels awesome. Can't wait to try it on trails.

Slate frame colour is lovely too.

Regarding an earlier post about sizing, I appreciate the sx is different to the tr but I'm 6'3 and the xl feels great.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:23 Quote
dirtrider121 wrote:
I'm 5"11 on a large. You'd need an XL mate. I'm running a 40mm stem, and have fun 50mm as well, so whilst it's long, you should be on an XL at that height

Cheers for the quick reply, I was thinking of doing the same and running a 35/40mm stem if the reach felt too great. Awesome! Will order the XL asap, cheers for the advice team, fizzing for a new bike and trail shred

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 6:45 Quote
Macktory wrote:
Hey Team, I’m about to order a Meta essential build, but super torn between the AM ($6,800NZD) and TR (6,200NZD). I’ve read and watched a ridiculous amounts of reviews, and am leaning towards to the TR as I’m 70/30 ride up trails/ bike park. Has anyone bought the TR and wished they’d bought the AM instead? Just unsure if the extra 20mm travel is worth the $600NZD price difference, as the TR sounds like a pretty versatile 140mm weapon of a bike.

Cheers
My trail riding/bike park split is similar to yours, perhaps a bit more trail riding, but the TR is perfect for that. I don't have any experience with the AM and while I would enjoy a bit more travel at the bike park, my TR is already a pretty big burly bike so I can't imagine the AM being so great on regular trails. I think the TR is your best bet.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
Macktory wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:

Cheers for the quick reply, I was thinking of doing the same and running a 35/40mm stem if the reach felt too great. Awesome! Will order the XL asap, cheers for the advice team, fizzing for a new bike and trail shred

100% an XL, I'm also 5'11 on a large. I've sat on a XL, guy who rode it was 6'2. He said my large felt tiny, not small and playful, just tiny. Good luck with the bike.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 2:10 Quote
Macktory wrote:

Cheers

Weight and geo are so close between AM and TR so go for the build that you think gives you most bang for the buck.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 3:42 Quote
What have people done to fit a water bottle to the meta 29 then? I don't want to go buying stuff for it not to fit, size M

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 4:54 Quote
Hi,

I have a 2021 Commencal meta Essential and my chain gets caught quite often in between the jockey wheel and the derailler cage plate. I've had the comment that my chain might be missing a couple links like visually it looks short. The guy that was doing my tuneup last summer told me my chain was too long and removed a few links, but I'm starting thinking he might have been wrong. Eversince I've had the bike, it never shifted that smoothly even though I've had a few tuneups done.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 5:05 Quote
Is your derailleur slightly bent my bike turned up and it was and I just had to bend it back by hand

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 5:09 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
What have people done to fit a water bottle to the meta 29 then? I don't want to go buying stuff for it not to fit, size M

This is far from the most elegant solution (I really am not a fan of the stack height), but seems to work.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 5:22 Quote
Mitch243 wrote:
lew-77 wrote:

This is far from the most elegant solution (I really am not a fan of the stack height), but seems to work.

If you get a regular bottle cage, this can be run inside the cage so flipped upside down and then it doesn’t add any stack height. That’s what I did with my AM and can fit a full sized bottle

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
lew-77 wrote:

I run a fidlock bottle with the mount upside down on the frame and the bottle, gives plenty of room with super deluxe.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
Could be, I'll have a look later maybe I'll bring it in my local bike shop to get a second opinion.
lew-77 wrote:
Is your derailleur slightly bent my bike turned up and it was and I just had to bend it back by hand

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 8:43 Quote
benfallu wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2021 Commencal meta Essential and my chain gets caught quite often in between the jockey wheel and the derailler cage plate. I've had the comment that my chain might be missing a couple links like visually it looks short. The guy that was doing my tuneup last summer told me my chain was too long and removed a few links, but I'm starting thinking he might have been wrong. Eversince I've had the bike, it never shifted that smoothly even though I've had a few tuneups done.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Your chain being too short wouldn't cause it to fall off the jockey wheel. You can easily test if your chain length is ok by shifting to the largest cog and letting all the air out of the shock to see if the derailleur binds up at bottom out.
It sounds to me like you either have a bent derailleur cage, a bent derailleur hanger or both.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009626
Mobile Version of Website