All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
Kelin1616 wrote:
alexbg wrote:
Kelin1616 wrote:

Ran the 450lb on a few rides last week, had great small bump compliance and didn't bottom out on my gnarliest trail in the area. going down a spring rate still gave me great pedaling platform as well. i feel like my sag is a bit high (approx 35%) but im loving the way the bike feels now, will roll with this for a while now.

I think that's why a lot of people change to progressive spring. They are already at 30% sag but don't get the small bump compliance. How are you measuring your sag? In an 'attach position' or sat down?

In attack position, been able to bottom out since that post, but its only in one particular spot that i know i struggle with clearing. it's perfectly rideable as is, though a progressive may be nice to try in the future, i could see myself going towards that as i continue to dial in the bike. Have you ridden with a progressive spring? haven't really dealt with these before....
I run my coil shock with a 450lbs spring and I weigh around 155lbs and the sag is bang on 20 percent. It feels pretty stiff if you were to just feel it but when riding it works really well.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
Thinking of changing out my DT Swiss 350 with a 36 tooth drive ring to an I9 Hydra on my 2021 Meta AM Signature.

I love the hydra on my shorter travel bike. I am concerned that I will feel more pedal kickback with the higher engagement hub.

Does anyone have a Hydra on a Meta AM? How does it feel?

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
drensor wrote:
Thinking of changing out my DT Swiss 350 with a 36 tooth drive ring to an I9 Hydra on my 2021 Meta AM Signature.

I love the hydra on my shorter travel bike. I am concerned that I will feel more pedal kickback with the higher engagement hub.

I have one and have never had kickback problems with it. It is great for climbing, skinnys, or emergency wheelie drops.

I think a lot of people get bad kickback beacuse their chains are way too short.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 6:26 Quote
drensor wrote:

I prefer i9s on everything! I have them on my TR.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
2022 Meta SX rear suspension question!

Hey guys, just got a new 2022 SX, running a superdeluxe with Megneg, 2 volume spacers no bands in MegNeg, around 190psi gives me 30% sag. on my first ride, I felt like I was getting way too much feedback through the petals, rear end was all over the place, and feet were getting bucked off petals. Also, I found I was blowing through the travel way too easily. What have you all found to be good suspension setup for the AM/SX? I am going to try to increase air pressure a bit to get closer to 25% sag and add more volume spacers to get more progression out of the shock. I am coming from a 2017 rocky mountain slayer which was a pretty highly progressive (50%) horst link so I think I am more used to the progressive rear suspension than I realized. Hoping I can make the rear end of the SX do what I want it to, I'll just need more time to mess with it. What sag/pressures/adjustments have you all found work well for you? I've heard such good things about the handling of the Meta, I am hoping I can get it to where I like it. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 12:42 Quote
misteraustin wrote:

Hey guys, just got a new 2022 SX, running a superdeluxe with Megneg, 2 volume spacers no bands in MegNeg, around 190psi gives me 30% sag. on my first ride, I felt like I was getting way too much feedback through the petals, rear end was all over the place, and feet were getting bucked off petals. Also, I found I was blowing through the travel way too easily. What have you all found to be good suspension setup for the AM/SX? I am going to try to increase air pressure a bit to get closer to 25% sag and add more volume spacers to get more progression out of the shock. I am coming from a 2017 rocky mountain slayer which was a pretty highly progressive (50%) horst link so I think I am more used to the progressive rear suspension than I realized. Hoping I can make the rear end of the SX do what I want it to, I'll just need more time to mess with it. What sag/pressures/adjustments have you all found work well for you? I've heard such good things about the handling of the Meta, I am hoping I can get it to where I like it. Thanks!
I think you answered your own question. I would max out volume spacers (gnar dog + 2?). I run that and no bands in the megneg. Settled around 28% sag.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 17:30 Quote
misteraustin wrote:

I would bump up your pressure, I run my Meta AM at exactly 20% sag. Commencal's bikes are designed to be raced on and ridden aggressively and thus when set up properly have pretty firm suspension if you were to just sit on it but once you get up to speed it will feel really good.

That's what I've found through experimenting but it also depends on how you ride, I am pretty aggressive and ride really rough trails.

Just experiment a bunch and you will figure it out, everyone's settings are different. Another thing that could help is going to an experienced bike mechanic or a suspension centre and they will be able to give you some personal advice (this is what I did and it helped a lot).

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 1:02 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
misteraustin wrote:

I would bump up your pressure, I run my Meta AM at exactly 20% sag. Commencal's bikes are designed to be raced on and ridden aggressively and thus when set up properly have pretty firm suspension if you were to just sit on it but once you get up to speed it will feel really good.

That's what I've found through experimenting but it also depends on how you ride, I am pretty aggressive and ride really rough trails.

Just experiment a bunch and you will figure it out, everyone's settings are different. Another thing that could help is going to an experienced bike mechanic or a suspension centre and they will be able to give you some personal advice (this is what I did and it helped a lot).

Same here. Before installing the megneg I settled at 20% sag.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
Sethsg wrote:

Okay sweet. Yea I definitely ride pretty aggressively on some really rough terrain. I'm 190 lbs and my SuperDeluxe with MegNeg is now at 220psi and still around 25% sag. It's good to hear people have gotten good results out of the suspension, my first ride with 190psi and 30% sag, I was worried I made a mistake, my feet were getting bucked off the petals so badly. I'll give that a go and see if that helps, thanks!

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2022 at 16:09 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
What have people done to fit a water bottle to the meta 29 then? I don't want to go buying stuff for it not to fit, size M

The Bird Aeris Bottle Cage adapter is money. Here's my Meta AM size medium with a Zee cage / multitool / Oneup Pump and a 22oz purist with no frame, shock or linkage contact:

Good luck finding one though, they've been out of stock for a few months now.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 2:53 Quote
Hi All,

I've had my Meta AM since 2020. Now I have an EMTB for self-shuttling and am moving close to big bike parks, I'm making the Meta more shuttle friendly.

I recently purchased a DVO Jade (65mm stroke) to replace the DPX2 which felt horrible on natural DH tracks at 20% sag with quick square edged steps/hits and picked up a cheap used Mezzer Pro LE to bump it up to 180mm / 166mm F/R.

I've ordered a Cane Creek progressive 450-550lb spring and am thinking it will be too soft for my 170lbs weight (more like 180 geared up). Still waiting for it to arrive.

Ride fairly aggressively and am wondering if I'll need the next spring rate up. Does anyone have experience with a progressive coil on the new Meta AM?

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 3:18 Quote
Why did you ride Dpx2 with only 20% sag?
Mine was at 27, 28 (seated) plenty progressive

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 16:35 Quote
pakleni wrote:
Why did you ride Dpx2 with only 20% sag?
Mine was at 27, 28 (seated) plenty progressive

I rode it everywhere from 20 - 30 at some point. From memory, at around 30% I felt that it either blew through travel easily or lost speed by sinking into repeated hits (which it should have skimmed over). It still didn't feel responsive over fast repeated squarish hits. I would need to do repeated testing to give you that opinion with confidence, but I can say with certainly that it is awful compared to my X2.

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 1:01 Quote
Reading your post is like reading about entirely different shock and bike combo.
Mine Dpx2 was even too much progressive for the frame.

The thing that I wished it could do better was (somewhat) lack of support in the middle range. When I would drop the sag to get more support in the middle of travel, I wouldn't be able to use the whole travel.

However I have to mention that I'm one of those guys who don't like to mess around suspension settings so I usually find some kind of the middle ground for all my xc/am and park rides. I guess no shock can preform at 100% if you use it as set and forget element

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012843
Mobile Version of Website