All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 1:37 Quote
bigquotes
pakleni wrote:
The thing that I wished it could do better was (somewhat) lack of support in the middle range. When I would drop the sag to get more support in the middle of travel, I wouldn't be able to use the whole travel.

I don't think I disagree with that. At 30% sag, even though the shock ramped up a lot at the end of stroke, it seemed like it was deep in the midstroke way too often and felt like it offered little support until the last 10-15% of travel which was harsh. I had to run the fork at lower PSI than ideal just to keep the front and rear balanced.

Seems like the Meta would be ace with an X2 (haven't ridden a super deluxe) but I'm hoping to save some money over the long term with a more user-servicable shock like the Jade.

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 3:48 Quote
You’d appreciate a super deluxe with a Meg neg. The mid stroke support is very noticeable as soon as it’s installed. I weigh 190 and at 30% sag, don’t bottom out in the park. Previously without the Meg neg I was running 20% to not bottom out and was lacking mid support. Also had a manitou Mara pro which was the most plush shock I’ve ever ridden, but it had even less mid stroke support than the super deluxe without a Meg neg

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 5:03 Quote
ryan198232 wrote:
You’d appreciate a super deluxe with a Meg neg. The mid stroke support is very noticeable as soon as it’s installed. I weigh 190 and at 30% sag, don’t bottom out in the park. Previously without the Meg neg I was running 20% to not bottom out and was lacking mid support. Also had a manitou Mara pro which was the most plush shock I’ve ever ridden, but it had even less mid stroke support than the super deluxe without a Meg neg

I absolutely agree. The MegNeg is a perfect fit for the AM.

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
ryan198232 wrote:

Thanks, I'd already ordered the Jade but I'll look at swapping the DPX2 for a Super Deluxe if I don't get on with the Jade.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
rpet, I'm curious how you are liking your short shocked Meta AM. Thinking about doing something similar, any issues you've run into with it?

rpet wrote:
Here's my custom build AM... By custom I mean full of used parts from my old bike plus some rad new suspension.

I short shocked it with a 60mm stroke for about 150mm rear and a 160mm 38.

It's currently a mullet while I decide what 29 wheels I want to buy. The BB is slightly too low, but still totally rideable as a mullet. There is also a bit of front end flop on very low speed switchbacks due to the HA, which is probably about 62. I anticipate those geo issues being resolved when I go to a 29" rear.

I'm 6', this is an L. It's long and heavy and absolutely shreds!

CommencalUSA CS was good to deal with.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 22:55 Quote
Hey guys, I’m currently riding a Transition spire and after a frame issue I’m considering the idea of going to a different frame.
The meta is one I’ve got my eyes on. I usually ride longer traveled bikes, even though my local terrain doesn’t require it. But I travel into pisgah, snowshoe, and other bike parks pretty often. So I’m considering either the meta tr or meta sx. The TR would be plenty for local trails for sure, but how does it handle bike park days?
Secondly how is the rear suspension on the metas? I love the spire because of how plush it is. It’s been one of the first bikes that doesn’t feel like it’s shaking my teeth loose over fast chattery roots and rocks on the east coast.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 2:11 Quote
Keegansamonster wrote:
Hey guys, I’m currently riding a Transition spire and after a frame issue I’m considering the idea of going to a different frame.
The meta is one I’ve got my eyes on. I usually ride longer traveled bikes, even though my local terrain doesn’t require it. But I travel into pisgah, snowshoe, and other bike parks pretty often. So I’m considering either the meta tr or meta sx. The TR would be plenty for local trails for sure, but how does it handle bike park days?
Secondly how is the rear suspension on the metas? I love the spire because of how plush it is. It’s been one of the first bikes that doesn’t feel like it’s shaking my teeth loose over fast chattery roots and rocks on the east coast.

I just finished my first day riding my new Meta TR essential, and am absolutely blown away by its capability. I was a little nervous about 140mm rear travel but just floated through chatter and rooty sections like it was nothing. Finished the day with a session on a line with 20ft jumps and 6 ft drops, handles everything with ease. I also upgraded the air shaft on the fox 36 to 160mm, completely fell in love with my bike today.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 4:07 Quote
M8100 (52mm chainline) or M8120 (55mm) crankset?

Trying to get rid of that rattling piece of GX junk and not sure which Shimano crank to get.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 5:24 Quote
Call me crazy but I’m about to build a medium Meta TR to hopefully compliment my large Meta AM. My AM has a 180mm fork and 65mm shock so the bike feels a little big trail riding but is hands down the best descender I’ve ever ridden and ride downhill with it once a week. Hoping the TR is a similar feel but with the shorter reach and travel, that it will be as fun on the trails as my AM is in the park…..

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 15:26 Quote
ryan198232 wrote:
Call me crazy but I’m about to build a medium Meta TR to hopefully compliment my large Meta AM. My AM has a 180mm fork and 65mm shock so the bike feels a little big trail riding but is hands down the best descender I’ve ever ridden and ride downhill with it once a week. Hoping the TR is a similar feel but with the shorter reach and travel, that it will be as fun on the trails as my AM is in the park…..

Interested. Please come back once you have feedback.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 18:05 Quote
Upduro wrote:
M8100 (52mm chainline) or M8120 (55mm) crankset?

Trying to get rid of that rattling piece of GX junk and not sure which Shimano crank to get.
I run a non boost crankset on my 11 speed, it works great and gives a better chain-line in climbing gears, but I've heard that with 12 speed the you need to use a boost crank on a boost bike because the spacing between cogs is so tight the chain will rub in the smallest cogs

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 22:21 Quote
After scouring the internet and coming up short, I decided to just confirm the measurements myself.
Sharing here for posterity.

Commencal Meta AM 29 2021 (Large) dropper post maximum insertion depth / length: 304.8mm (~12 inches)

These measurements were taken by inserting a length of PVC into the seat tube, as to avoid any misconstrued measurement by using a tape measure. A linkage bolt runs through the seat tube, and is positioned slightly anterior, so certain dropper actuators may even fit in the resulting space. Your mileage may vary. This measurement (304.8mm) is from the top of the seat collar to the top of the linkage bolt.

I run my saddle rails 28" from the bottom bracket, and am purchasing the OneUp Dropper V2 in 210mm.
Hope this helps someone!

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 23:00 Quote
@blissindex; finally someone did it! Thanks man!

@ryan; Big bike aside, geometry wise (reach, stack, top tube) how do you feel on the large? Do you have that like a glove feeling or would you maybe be happier with the new sx geo?

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 16:12 Quote
Looking to try a coil shock on my 2021 Meta AM Signature to increase the small bump sensitivity. Not sure what the general consensus is about coil shocks on this bike is.

Thinking about the Fox DHX2 with the climb switch.

Does anyone out there use this coil shock on their Meta? If so what do you think?

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 16:43 Quote
drensor wrote:
Looking to try a coil shock on my 2021 Meta AM Signature to increase the small bump sensitivity. Not sure what the general consensus is about coil shocks on this bike is.

Thinking about the Fox DHX2 with the climb switch.

Does anyone out there use this coil shock on their Meta? If so what do you think?

What i read and understood it is fine. Meta is linear so progressive spring is good choice. Also Fox says that dont run fox coils on meta, might break. You need coils with thicker staft like dvo jade(fox might have updated theirs).

I have dvo jade x with cane creek prog spring, but i dont have experience to say really anything else that it feels good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009445
Mobile Version of Website