All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 6:11 Quote
cwight wrote:

If ya find a 2019/20 meta AM/TR frame I have an extra WRP link that’s yours for the cost of shipping. Offers up to anyone. I’m running it now and it’s the truth, mic sent me a second cause my shock eyelet flange had some mods needed.

Have you posted a review yet?
What's the difference?
What bike size are you riding?

Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
cwight wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:
Looking at picking up a meta frame, meta SX possibly

Id be looking at a size large at 183cm, Im after a bike for my local's, But then i have 3-4 bike parks within 3hours drive.

Some of the local stuff is decent climbs but no tech climbs at all...

Is the Meta SX able to fill this catagory? I ask because of the fact of its length, its 30mm longer than my Stump evo and the stumpy is seriously good as it sits.

for reference my stumpy evo is running a WRP mullet link so i do Prefer to stay mullet to keep some playfulness.

If ya find a 2019/20 meta AM/TR frame I have an extra WRP link that’s yours for the cost of shipping. Offers up to anyone. I’m running it now and it’s the truth, mic sent me a second cause my shock eyelet flange had some mods needed.
Sadly I’m in Canada Cry otherwise I would take up your offer. (And if mine was a 19/20 meta)

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
If you bottom out you will feel it. Depending on the shock and the size of the bumper there might be a dull thump and there of course will be no more travel. You shouldn’t bottom out often with the right coil rate, I would suggest going to a suspension service centre and asking them. They will most likely help you find the correct spring for what you ride and your style.

Thanks for the solid advice man, but sorry think you might have understood what I was getting at. I am a tech so understand how it works, but was interested in how the Meta's kinematics are affecting people's experience with coil.

Its not a very progressive frame and has a fairly flat progressivity at the bottom of the travel, which isn't usually ideal for running a coil. Normally, a lot of frames with that sort of spring curve have issues with bottoming out, or struggle to match up with a spring rate that isn't either supple off the top but blows through travel or offers lots of support further into the travel but is too harsh/insensitive off the top. It sounds like people aren't having too many issues with that on here though, which is good.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 18:19 Quote
trailinbobcat wrote:
Sethsg wrote:
If you bottom out you will feel it. Depending on the shock and the size of the bumper there might be a dull thump and there of course will be no more travel. You shouldn’t bottom out often with the right coil rate, I would suggest going to a suspension service centre and asking them. They will most likely help you find the correct spring for what you ride and your style.

Thanks for the solid advice man, but sorry think you might have understood what I was getting at. I am a tech so understand how it works, but was interested in how the Meta's kinematics are affecting people's experience with coil.

Its not a very progressive frame and has a fairly flat progressivity at the bottom of the travel, which isn't usually ideal for running a coil. Normally, a lot of frames with that sort of spring curve have issues with bottoming out, or struggle to match up with a spring rate that isn't either supple off the top but blows through travel or offers lots of support further into the travel but is too harsh/insensitive off the top. It sounds like people aren't having too many issues with that on here though, which is good.
Sorry I misunderstood question.

I find it doesn't bottom out to easily with the coil, and that is riding on double black trails on the North Shore of Vancouver. Another interesting thing I have noticed from riding it, the rear suspension feels very firm if you were to just cycle the rear suspension with hands, but it is very supple when riding the best thing I can liken it to is the feeling of a Zeb.

Also, I found out from experience and was told that with this bike you don’t want a ton of sag even with a air shock. My sag is around 20%.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 1:15 Quote
Has anyone with a Meta TR tried the Cane Creek DBcoil il shock with a progressive spring in place of their factory air shock? They sound like good coils and highly tuneable. I’ve found a rebuilt secondhand DBcoil for a good price, so am eager to hear peoples experiences before purchasing.

I’ve read through the thread and understand the main issue with coil shocks (if any) is the shaft size being too small compared to air shocks and not coping with the forces from the suspension design.

Otherwise a brand new RS superdeluxe that comes factory on the race version could be an option

Cheers

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 8:19 Quote
Macktory wrote:
Has anyone with a Meta TR tried the Cane Creek DBcoil il shock with a progressive spring in place of their factory air shock? They sound like good coils and highly tuneable. I’ve found a rebuilt secondhand DBcoil for a good price, so am eager to hear peoples experiences before purchasing.

I’ve read through the thread and understand the main issue with coil shocks (if any) is the shaft size being too small compared to air shocks and not coping with the forces from the suspension design.

Otherwise a brand new RS superdeluxe that comes factory on the race version could be an option

Cheers
I have one on my Meta and it works great. Though the Meta does supposedly put less sideways forces on the shock than the TR, you can though buy titanium shafts for pretty cheap which would solve the issue.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 9:56 Quote
Macktory wrote:

Cheers

I just got the 2023 RS SDU, and I gotta say it’s pretty unreal. I’ve played around a bunch with different settings and it’s so versatile. Can be supportive and supple at the same time.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Hi there! I got a 2019 sram edition commencal meta and I´m thinking on upgrading the shock. It comes with a superdeluxe RCT from 2019... I´m thinking on upgrading it to the 2020 or 2021 ultimate version of the shock. But I don´t know if from 2019 to 2020 it got any tweaks or changes to it. I know the 2020 lyrik ultimate had some changes with the 2.1 charger but I´m not sure about the shock. Does anyone know that?
Cheers

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 11:50 Quote
Macktory wrote:

Cheers

I ran one for a little over a year on my 2019 Meta TR and had no issues, I over-stroked so it was closer to 142mm compared to the stock 130 and it was a big improvement over the stock Fox DPS shock that would heat up and get harsh. Trails around me are steep and rocky so the coil was night and day better. Adjustability on the CC was awesome and the climb switch wasn't on/off, you could fine tune the pedal platform, fully locked for fire roads. 50-75% for a bit more traction on chunkier climbs.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 0:57 Quote
poleczechy wrote:
Macktory wrote:

Cheers

I ran one for a little over a year on my 2019 Meta TR and had no issues, I over-stroked so it was closer to 142mm compared to the stock 130 and it was a big improvement over the stock Fox DPS shock that would heat up and get harsh. Trails around me are steep and rocky so the coil was night and day better. Adjustability on the CC was awesome and the climb switch wasn't on/off, you could fine tune the pedal platform, fully locked for fire roads. 50-75% for a bit more traction on chunkier climbs.

Sounds good, it would be replacing my Fox CTD shock. Did you experience the ‘knock’ during the first part of compression that seems to be quite common? Would be the only reason I’m hesitant on purchasing the CC

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
Macktory wrote:
poleczechy wrote:
Macktory wrote:

Cheers

Sounds good, it would be replacing my Fox CTD shock. Did you experience the ‘knock’ during the first part of compression that seems to be quite common? Would be the only reason I’m hesitant on purchasing the CC

I got the knock on my CaneCreek DB shock when I first purchased it. Reached out to CaneCreek by email and they had the shock rebuilt and back into my hands in about a week. It's been running flawlessly since then (August 2021).

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 17:16 Quote
blissindex wrote:
Macktory wrote:

Cheers

I just got the 2023 RS SDU, and I gotta say it’s pretty unreal. I’ve played around a bunch with different settings and it’s so versatile. Can be supportive and supple at the same time.

How have you found it for climbing? Looks like a great shock from the reviews I’ve read/ seen, just a bit more expensive and harder to source in NZ

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 22:50 Quote
Odiguer wrote:
Macktory wrote:
poleczechy wrote:

I got the knock on my CaneCreek DB shock when I first purchased it. Reached out to CaneCreek by email and they had the shock rebuilt and back into my hands in about a week. It's been running flawlessly since then (August 2021).

Awesome, thanks for the help. I’ll be buying it asap then! Last question, how did you find the correct progressive spring for yourself? I used a shock calculator and was placed for a 505lb spring, which falls between 2 spring ranges (55x450-550 and 55x500-610). Is it a matter of choice between supple vs firmer feel?

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 6:40 Quote
Macktory wrote:
Odiguer wrote:
Macktory wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the help. I’ll be buying it asap then! Last question, how did you find the correct progressive spring for yourself? I used a shock calculator and was placed for a 505lb spring, which falls between 2 spring ranges (55x450-550 and 55x500-610). Is it a matter of choice between supple vs firmer feel?

Simple answer is yes, reading a lot of peoples views on the TR, most people seem happier on a softer spring than harder but it is personal choice.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 22:34 Quote
a spring holds you up.

So think about dynamic ride height. Where it puts you at sag in relation to BB height, pedal strikes etc.

These commencals are not progressive (well not enough) so riding with a bunch of sag just creates harshness.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007149
Mobile Version of Website