All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 22:12 Quote
Bgelder666 wrote:
blakelthaus wrote:
Just saw the Meta TR Signature is back in stock on Commencal site and I love the value of that build and I'm a fan of the aluminum frame as most of my riding is in the desert where big rock strikes are not uncommon but I am a pretty short rider (5'4"). Looking at the geo chart it almost seems like the size small would be waaaay to big, for reference I'm currently riding a giant trance with 406mm reach so 440mm seems a bit excessive but I'm also looking to find something I can ride a little more aggressively without sacrificing pedalability. Would be interested to hear if there are any other vertically challenged riders here with experience on the TR?

Don't nervous of reach numbers, the ETT so shorter than in your on current bike, They are big bikes but your in the middle of the size small range, you will be fine. They come with 50mm stem which probably little long but that's an easy swap.

I’m 5’10 and have been on the small TR since February. At 5’4 I’d advise against it. The small meta is definitely not small. Despite the ETT being shorter due to the seat angle to accommodate, the stack is also high so you may have trouble getting the stem and bar low enough. If you’re coming from a bike with a shorter reach and a preference for that, the meta is going to feel like too much.

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 1:18 Quote
Bgelder666 wrote:

Don't nervous of reach numbers, the ETT so shorter than in your on current bike, They are big bikes but your in the middle of the size small range, you will be fine. They come with 50mm stem which probably little long but that's an easy swap.

Agree.
Ok, I have become kinda long reach advocate, but nonetheless, if the TT length suits you well, you'll be ok with a bit longer Reach.

That front wheel 'miles away' could be intimidating at the parking lot but as soon as you hit the trails you'll forget about it.
Actually, after you get used to it, riding old school short bikes will become terrifying experience

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 1:32 Quote
One more thing; Keep in mind that Commencal bikes are pretty heavy. TR is a trail bike just on paper. It's more like shorter travel Enduro bike. And it rides like one. So, if you're into fast accelerations and navigating slow and tight places, forget about it.
This bike likes open space, neverending but not overly technical climbs and full speed downhills.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Bgelder666 wrote:
blakelthaus wrote:
Just saw the Meta TR Signature is back in stock on Commencal site and I love the value of that build and I'm a fan of the aluminum frame as most of my riding is in the desert where big rock strikes are not uncommon but I am a pretty short rider (5'4"). Looking at the geo chart it almost seems like the size small would be waaaay to big, for reference I'm currently riding a giant trance with 406mm reach so 440mm seems a bit excessive but I'm also looking to find something I can ride a little more aggressively without sacrificing pedalability. Would be interested to hear if there are any other vertically challenged riders here with experience on the TR?

I’m 5’10 and have been on the small TR since February. At 5’4 I’d advise against it. The small meta is definitely not small. Despite the ETT being shorter due to the seat angle to accommodate, the stack is also high so you may have trouble getting the stem and bar low enough. If you’re coming from a bike with a shorter reach and a preference for that, the meta is going to feel like too much.

Lol the mixed reviews and number of tall people riding smaller bikes are killing me, but I rode a bike with a 430mm reach and a steeper seat tube angle a few months back and I actually really liked it, but the wheelbase was probably 30mm smaller. Thinking I might just need to find someone riding a small and try to get out on a test ride. Appreciate the feedback!

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
pakleni wrote:
One more thing; Keep in mind that Commencal bikes are pretty heavy. TR is a trail bike just on paper. It's more like shorter travel Enduro bike. And it rides like one. So, if you're into fast accelerations and navigating slow and tight places, forget about it.
This bike likes open space, neverending but not overly technical climbs and full speed downhills.

This is a good point but also one of the things I am less worried about, my current bike is aluminum and weighs in at about 33.5 pounds right in line with the TR plus I think the 29" wheels will help with efficiency. Thanks again to everyone for all of the info, I think this is still going to be a tough decision, basically just deciding between this and the Fezzari Delano Peak, leaning to the Commencal just for overall downhill performance though. Figure worst case with the spec on the commencal I could just pick up a different frame if I don't like it and I'd still be spending less than I would on a mid spec from Specialized or Santa Cruz.

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
pakleni wrote:
Bgelder666 wrote:

Agree.
Ok, I have become kinda long reach advocate, but nonetheless, if the TT length suits you well, you'll be ok with a bit longer Reach.

That front wheel 'miles away' could be intimidating at the parking lot but as soon as you hit the trails you'll forget about it.
Actually, after you get used to it, riding old school short bikes will become terrifying experience

I agree, but if the chainstay isn't proportionate to the reach, the ratio to front to rear center weight distribution is less than optimal.

The Meta is sadly a victim of big reach little chainstay design, it would be so much better with a 450'ish mm CS on a Large/XL.

My new bike has 505mm reach which isn't weird, but what is out there is the 462mm chainstays. Front end grip is incredible, turning is fine. Sure it takes more effort to manual, but the trade-off is a no brainer for me.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 16:05 Quote
Brasher wrote:
pakleni wrote:
Bgelder666 wrote:

Agree.

I agree, but if the chainstay isn't proportionate to the reach, the ratio to front to rear center weight distribution is less than optimal.

The Meta is sadly a victim of big reach little chainstay design, it would be so much better with a 450'ish mm CS on a Large/XL.

My new bike has 505mm reach which isn't weird, but what is out there is the 462mm chainstays. Front end grip is incredible, turning is fine. Sure it takes more effort to manual, but the trade-off is a no brainer for me.

I’d be interested in trying a longer chain stay compared to my large meta AM. As you said, there’s definitely not as much weight being placed on the front wheel and switching from my medium TR to the large AM makes it very obvious. A little more body forward brings the grip back to the front tire, but I don’t have to do that with the shorter reach TR

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
blakelthaus wrote:
pakleni wrote:

This is a good point but also one of the things I am less worried about, my current bike is aluminum and weighs in at about 33.5 pounds right in line with the TR plus I think the 29" wheels will help with efficiency. Thanks again to everyone for all of the info, I think this is still going to be a tough decision, basically just deciding between this and the Fezzari Delano Peak, leaning to the Commencal just for overall downhill performance though. Figure worst case with the spec on the commencal I could just pick up a different frame if I don't like it and I'd still be spending less than I would on a mid spec from Specialized or Santa Cruz.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
Both a great, I ride the meta TR and I've pumped my wife's size small Delano peak up to my weight and took it down some trails...both are great, Delano is better all around bike and easier to dial in.

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
Mitch243 wrote:
lew-77 wrote:
What have people done to fit a water bottle to the meta 29 then? I don't want to go buying stuff for it not to fit, size M

photo
photo

This is far from the most elegant solution (I really am not a fan of the stack height), but seems to work.

Bringing up an old post; I've had luck with the Specialized cages drilling new mounting holes to achieve the lowest position possible and even with a slight angle to it. I'm currently riding a YT and they don't care about water bottles at all! LOL.
Or search for a bottle cage with good amount of area to drill your own holes to fit lower in the frame.

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
Interested in the Meta SX or possibly TR as a frame-up build to be my 2023 race bike. The biggest downside I'm reading is the weight of these bikes which I'm sure can be brought down with a well specd build sheet. My question is; on some higher end builds, what weights are yall getting to?

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
code26 wrote:
Interested in the Meta SX or possibly TR as a frame-up build to be my 2023 race bike. The biggest downside I'm reading is the weight of these bikes which I'm sure can be brought down with a well specd build sheet. My question is; on some higher end builds, what weights are yall getting to?

I think if weight is your topmost priority, you’re looking in the wrong place. I’m running as nice of parts as possible without using carbon (durability is key for me as a taller/heavier rider). That being said, my large AM 29 fully kitted out (tubes, CO2, Maxxis DD, Cush,) is coming out around 39lbs. Most people would say yikes…

But when that bike points downhill… it’s a missile. Even casually rolling down pavement next to guys on full carbon bikes, I have to brake so I don’t pull away too much. Smile

Totally depends on where/what you’re racing, but if wide-open speed and power through chunk is what you’re after, this bike delivers. Whatever bike you choose, can’t recommend enough the 2023 Rockshox ultimates - insane upgrade from the 2022.

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
code26 wrote:

photo

Weight is around 38lbs but since my rear tire doesn´t like tubeless anymore ist more like 40lbs with a thick tube..

as sai by @blissindex if weight is a priority then the meta is not you're bike. uphill is okay.. slow and steady get´s you up the hill but downhill. oh boy that´s where the fun begins

Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
FreeRider2111 wrote:
code26 wrote:

photo

Weight is around 38lbs but since my rear tire doesn´t like tubeless anymore ist more like 40lbs with a thick tube..

as sai by @blissindex if weight is a priority then the meta is not you're bike. uphill is okay.. slow and steady get´s you up the hill but downhill. oh boy that´s where the fun begins

Thanks for the insights! Weight is not my first priority but it's not something I completely neglect as repeatedly sprinting out of corners is a big part of racing.
My wife (the park rat) rides the AM and I've always been shocked at how well it pedals given it's weight.

blissindex ; i was leaning towards RS anyways. Thanks for backing it up!

Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 12:02 Quote
code26 wrote:
Thanks for the insights! Weight is not my first priority but it's not something I completely neglect as repeatedly sprinting out of corners is a big part of racing.
My wife (the park rat) rides the AM and I've always been shocked at how well it pedals given it's weight.

blissindex ; i was leaning towards RS anyways. Thanks for backing it up!

i was shocked when i added all the weights but with the first few rides my concerns were blown away mostly. I won´t win anything uphill but it get´s the job done.

If money wasn´t a problem i would love to try the 2023 Rock Shox Lineup but so far i am more than happy with my Fox stuff

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015395
Mobile Version of Website