All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 17:08 Quote
mguim wrote:
Hi @Brasher,

how is the progressive spring on the the Meta ? I was thinking on getting a DVO Jade with the Cane Creek progressive spring for mine and I was wondering how the end stroke progressiveness felt. Do you still bottom out or it has a smooth end stroke ?

Thanks!

Hey dude, it's almost too progressive. (500-610lb)

I raced with it the other week and the track was super rocky. I would have preferred to have the more linear nature of the 500lb steel spring. I couldn't bottom it out at all that day. Another thing I noticed is that you really need to slow the HSR a lot more, you can get bucked on big hits as there is much more spring energy.

Due to this whole corona thing I cant get to the bikepark to test it out on some booters, I think that's where it will shine. I don't regret buying it, but I wouldn't rush out and grab one either. They are very expensive here in Australia.

The old meta is probably more progressive than what I thought Smile

So in love with this bike though, Finally found that "mini dh" bike feel that I've been searching for. You can do anything on it and slowly climb to the top.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 5:26 Quote
I have a coil shock and 500-610 spring on order for a TR29.
I'm 190lb. We'll see. I'll report back.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 16:59 Quote
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to hear about the spring and the bike!

I'm 175-180lbs with kit and wondering if I should go with the 450-550 or 500-610. I'm usually running 25% sag but I don't know what feels best on the Meta 29 (still haven't built it yet!).

How much do you weight with your clothes/pack ?

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 17:01 Quote
I haven't weighed myself in a while, but I'd be 95-100kg in full riding gear. I'd recommend the 450-550 based off your weight. But people prefer different feel/setups so take that with a grain of salt.

I can get away with a 500lb spring a weigh a fair bit more than you. I'd say a 525lb would be my "perfect" rate.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 18:23 Quote
Awesome, that's a good indication of what I'd need. I ride rocky steep stuff most of the time but I'm a smooth rider and don't bash much into shit.

You mean that you can get away with a 500lbs linear spring without bottoming out?

Did you have some travel left after your race with the progressive spring or you bottomed out but didn't feel it? How much sag did you run?

Hey I'm pretty annoying but this helps a lot haha thanks!

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
mguim wrote:
Awesome, that's a good indication of what I'd need. I ride rocky steep stuff most of the time but I'm a smooth rider and don't bash much into shit.

You mean that you can get away with a 500lbs linear spring without bottoming out?

Did you have some travel left after your race with the progressive spring or you bottomed out but didn't feel it? How much sag did you run?

Hey I'm pretty annoying but this helps a lot haha thanks!

All good mate. Yeah if I ride relatively smart 500lb works well for me, perhaps a little soft. 550lb feels a bit firm on small bump but keeps me off the bump stop. I think a nice 525lb SLS spring would be the ticket.

If you fast forward to 4m on this video, appox a 7-8ft drop to relative flatness. Didn't bottom out at all.

Excuse the shit riding Smile I had a real shocker that day.... Only gear I had that meshed was the 10T!

Jack Moir put 45seconds on me haha

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
Awesome! Nice run! It's still a good time if Moir was only 45secs faster : )

Most calculators suggest a 450-475 lbs for 25-27% sag so the Cane Creek progressive 450-550 should be pretty spot on. How much sag do you run on your Meta?

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
mguim wrote:
Awesome! Nice run! It's still a good time if Moir was only 45secs faster : )

Most calculators suggest a 450-475 lbs for 25-27% sag so the Cane Creek progressive 450-550 should be pretty spot on. How much sag do you run on your Meta?

500 has me approx 33% 550 bang on 30%

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
Is anyone riding the Meta AM 29 in the northeast US? I’m wondering how it handles in the slow chunky terrain that we have here. I know the TR would probably suit our trails better, but I prefer a little more cushion for big hits and I’m old as dirt. I’ve been going back-and-forth between the spike and in ibis Ripmo AF. I keep leaning towards the Ritmo because of the DVO suspension and a little less travel so it’s not overwhelming on the trail rides. But the 2020 AM Essential keeps pulling me back in. Any thoughts as using this as a trail bike on mostly tight and very technical trails?

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Is anyone riding the Meta AM 29 in the northeast US? I’m wondering how it handles in the slow chunky terrain that we have here. I know the TR would probably suit our trails better, but I prefer a little more cushion for big hits and I’m old as dirt. I’ve been going back-and-forth between the spike and in ibis Ripmo AF. I keep leaning towards the Ritmo because of the DVO suspension and a little less travel so it’s not overwhelming on the trail rides. But the 2020 AM Essential keeps pulling me back in. Any thoughts as using this as a trail bike on mostly tight and very technical trails?

My terrain has a lot of tight corners and roots but no rocks and it handles like a dream. Short chainstays and it being a bit on the shorter end overall compared to all the oil tankers makes it pretty nimble.

I hope this 'rona shit is over soon so the bike parks can open again because I really wanna see how the new suspension handles some longer descents. The longest trail we have here is like 300m long, and a new forest ranger who's got a long and stiff stick up his ass and has already wrecked two trails because they are "illegal" after they have been tolerated for 20 years.

Also ate dirt yesterday and cracked my helmet so I have to wait for the crash replacement and the weather is going to be awesome the next few days. This summer sucks so far.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
So I’m eyeing both the Meta AM 29 and the Meta TR SX 29. What would sway you guys one way over the other?

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:

I have a 2019 Meta TR that I ride here in New England, mainly on technical trails in the Greater Boston area. I like it a lot for these trails. Could not be happier, really. The META AM has more suspension but similar weight and geometry so I would expect it to perform similarly. The Ripmo AF looks good too and that is probably the only bike I would consider as an alternative to the Meta if I were back in the market for a new bike. If you can wait, there's now a place to demo Commencal bikes near highland.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
bensmorse wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:

I have a 2019 Meta TR that I ride here in New England, mainly on technical trails in the Greater Boston area. I like it a lot for these trails. Could not be happier, really. The META AM has more suspension but similar weight and geometry so I would expect it to perform similarly. The Ripmo AF looks good too and that is probably the only bike I would consider as an alternative to the Meta if I were back in the market for a new bike. If you can wait, there's now a place to demo Commencal bikes near highland.

Haha. Too funny. I just heard back from him ten minutes ago about demo-ing one at his place. Gonna set it up soon if it’s possible with this shit going on. I’ll demo the TR as well. Thanks for the input.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
Just went to install my Float X2 and found my frame only came with one bushing (fits the rear eyelet of the shock). I'm assuming it was supposed to come with the front bushing as well? Dang it.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 6:19 Quote
@carter yes you need to purchase a kit, but it's not indicated on the product's page. The "RIDE ALPHA 20x10 Spacer/Bushing Kit for Rear Shock " kit is 23$ and contains all the upper bolt's hardware.

I did purchase (no offset) brass bushings from OffsetBushings. They ship with a polymer DU bushing and 2 spacers to fit the Meta. A bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

The rear Commencal bushing fits quite loose into the shock eyelet, anyone knows why ?

I have ordered a bushing from OffsetBushings to fit in there with a regular polymer DU bush instead of the stock Commencal, as I don't feel like a loose bushing sounds good for the long term. You can order both at the same time from Offset bushings if you're inclined to do so. I have not installed it yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be much better.

Hope this helps!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012411
Mobile Version of Website