All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: May 20, 2020 at 16:50 Quote
I really didn't expect the TR to be as capable as it is, but this is also my first 29. The wagon wheels make up for any missed travel compared to my old 275 AM. They also soak up a bit of input, but the TR is plenty playful still. I'm really tempted to try an -1 angleset with 160mm for a little more spice. The extra 10mm on the fork to make up for any bb drop from the angleset, it's already plenty low enough.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 17:14 Quote
I'm a hair over 5'8" and got a Large Meta AM 29. I have a OneUp V2 150mm dropper and I have 30mm between the seat post's collar and the seat tube collar. The reach is 8mm longer than my last bike (Large Marin Rift Zone) but because of the steeper seat tube angle, it has a bit shorter virtual top tube length. I'm using the same stem/fork and I felt really good on my last bike. The medium Meta would have fit but I like a roomier bike and the Large is spot on.

At 5'11" you should definitely go Large in my opinion.

Edit : saw that you were set on the medium, and I don't see anything wrong with that! Get the one that makes you the most comfortable to have fun!

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
mguim wrote:
I'm a hair over 5'8" and got a Large Meta AM 29. I have a OneUp V2 150mm dropper and I have 30mm between the seat post's collar and the seat tube collar. The reach is 8mm longer than my last bike (Large Marin Rift Zone) but because of the steeper seat tube angle, it has a bit shorter virtual top tube length. I'm using the same stem/fork and I felt really good on my last bike. The medium Meta would have fit but I like a roomier bike and the Large is spot on.

Edit : saw that you were set on the medium, and I don't see anything wrong with that! Get the one that makes you the most comfortable to have fun!

I’m 6ft. I ordered a 170mm pnw dropper but I’m wondering if I should switch to the 200mm seeing as it can be decreased by 30mm. It’s going on a large am 29

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
brinz good to hear, you should post a pic of it! I’m currently on a Patrol, I wonder if I’ll miss the extra travel on race, park or shuttle days with my DH buddies. I was thinking the SX with a 160 would help bridge the gap, and bring a bit more life to my regular trail rides.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 18:40 Quote
mguim wrote:

With the 150 One up, are you able to slam the post any lower? I’m 5-7, 30” inseam, and I’m wondering about the seat post insertion. It’s pathetic on my Patrol, I have to shim the One Up to 140.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 21:11 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
With the 150 One up, are you able to slam the post any lower? I’m 5-7, 30” inseam, and I’m wondering about the seat post insertion. It’s pathetic on my Patrol, I have to shim the One Up to 140.

I could slam it down the green actuator's length (like 15-20mm) as I previously measured with a standard post. This is where the seat tube stops being reamed. Glad I went with the 150mm as the 180mm wouldn't have fit or just barely, and I would have had to lower it to 160.

I am running 165mm cranks and thin flat pedals so if you've running longer cranks you might end up with the post a bit lower depending on your pedal/shoe setup.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
That’s very helpful, thank you! Salute

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
mguim wrote:

I was really on the fence with this one, but got an email from Commencal. The guy that responded said that he’s 6’ and rides a medium. Assuming he could get whatever size he wants, I’m hopeful it’ll fit. I ordered it today, so I’ll find out next week.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 4:00 Quote
Hi guys.
Im planning to buy the Meta TR, and im courius.
Last bike was the Pole Taival, with 510 reach and 1298 wheelbase. I am 6 foot Tall, 183cm. And the pole was a little bit long. Yesterday i tried a Large Sentinel, that was spot on. Is here someone who ride a XL meta tr, with the same height ? I want 1250 wheelbase cirka, and 475-500 reach.
What do you think ?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 8:20 Quote
EnduroDartmoor wrote:
Hi guys.
Im planning to buy the Meta TR, and im courius.
Last bike was the Pole Taival, with 510 reach and 1298 wheelbase. I am 6 foot Tall, 183cm. And the pole was a little bit long. Yesterday i tried a Large Sentinel, that was spot on. Is here someone who ride a XL meta tr, with the same height ? I want 1250 wheelbase cirka, and 475-500 reach.
What do you think ?

I'm 6'1 and the large TR is quite roomy for me, I ran it with 30mm stem last year no issue, but running 50mm now.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
Ordered the meta tr base build with sx eagle, should I just immediately upgrade the derailleur to a gx derailleur?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 15:22 Quote
Skelton88 wrote:
Ordered the meta tr base build with sx eagle, should I just immediately upgrade the derailleur to a gx derailleur?

I would say so. I have GX, and love it. The friends I know who have SX and NX don't really notice a performance difference Per Se, but the SX and NX derailleurs bend like chicken wire. So personally, I would say yeah, upgrade to GX.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
Skelton88 wrote:
Ordered the meta tr base build with sx eagle, should I just immediately upgrade the derailleur to a shimano derailleur?

yes

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
Obviously, I'm a bit new to this, but thoughts on the magura mt trail sport disc brakes? Would they be a sensible upgrade from sram level brake set?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
Skelton88 wrote:
Obviously, I'm a bit new to this, but thoughts on the magura mt trail sport disc brakes? Would they be a sensible upgrade from sram level brake set?

Everyone I know who rides Maguras pairs the calipers with Shimano levers for better feel and more durability. Magura levers are made out of plastic and from what I've heard are prone to breaking.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006045
Mobile Version of Website