All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
Spazcakes wrote:
hey there,

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I preordered the large size meta tr 2021 and i am now having second thoughts about the sizing for myself.

I'm 160lbs, 178-179cm to be exact (barefoot), 31-32inch inseam (approx). Would I would be better suited for the medium? The sizing chart makes it really difficult since medium is 168-180cm, and large is 178-190cm. I'm coming from an old xc large norco bike so I don't have much to compare to. Can someone help ease my thoughts??

You can go either. What kind of trails will you be riding? Keep in mind the reach is longer but it’s because of that seat tube angle. You likely won’t feel too stretched out if you stay on the large.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
Damn. Anyone with a FOX or Rock Shox has measured?

I guess I was lucky I didn't bottom out! DVO calculated that the bumper will compress to 5mm thick, thus leaving 60mm stroke. But I think that if it goes past 60mm the seatstay bridge will hit the seat tube.

Good thing they sell spring clip stroke reducers, I'll get the 7.5mm and should be safe.

Ninj4Bee wrote:
mntnmrtn wrote:
Hi all!

For coil users, I'm wondering how much exposed shaft is showing on your coil shocks (without the bumper)? On my 230x60 DVO Jade X, I have 65mm of exposed shaft. DVO told me that the bumper would never compress fully and it wouldn't go past 60mm. But I was a bit worried that on a hard bottom out it could compress it all and the seatstay bridge would hit the seat tube. There is like 3mm of clearance left between the seatstay bridge and seat tube fender when I sit on the bike without the spring.

For those with FOX or Rock Shox shocks, do you have 60mm of exposed shaft length or is it longer like on DVOs ?

Thanks so much!

The Ohlins has 60mm of shaft.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 20:52 Quote
My fox dhx2 has 65mm stroke, but has a 5mm delrin washer under the bump stop to limit it to 60, combine that with a very dense bottom out bumper and you essentially never hit 160mm of travel. I’m thinking of replacing the 5mm washer with a 2.5mm one just to get a bit of free travel back.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 22:38 Quote
Any shorter riders on a meta 29? I'm 5'5" and considering ordering a small 2021. I did try a medium 2019 for a lap and the sizing was great and I loved the bike but I had some rear tire butt rub. I'm thinking it could be because it was my first time ever on a 29 and just need time to adjust. Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:
Spazcakes wrote:
hey there,

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I preordered the large size meta tr 2021 and i am now having second thoughts about the sizing for myself.

I'm 160lbs, 178-179cm to be exact (barefoot), 31-32inch inseam (approx). Would I would be better suited for the medium? The sizing chart makes it really difficult since medium is 168-180cm, and large is 178-190cm. I'm coming from an old xc large norco bike so I don't have much to compare to. Can someone help ease my thoughts??

You can go either. What kind of trails will you be riding? Keep in mind the reach is longer but it’s because of that seat tube angle. You likely won’t feel too stretched out if you stay on the large.

I'd say mostly trail riding with some more downhill oriented riding days thrown in once in awhile. I guess both sizes will feel different regardless and it's only stretched out by a little bit more?

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
Brasher wrote:
My fox dhx2 has 65mm stroke, but has a 5mm delrin washer under the bump stop to limit it to 60, combine that with a very dense bottom out bumper and you essentially never hit 160mm of travel. I’m thinking of replacing the 5mm washer with a 2.5mm one just to get a bit of free travel back.

Thanks Brash! That confirms that I have too much stroke on my shock because mine is 65mm stroke with only the bumper to prevent bottom out, no washer. I wonder why they do this, it's pretty risky for frames like ours!

One DVO guy told me that the bumper won't compress all the way and I'm safe, another one told me that I won't bottom it out with the right spring weight, and another one told me that the clearance I had was too little and I should add a spacer. Who should I trust?! haha

I'll try to find a delrin washer to fit there asap to be safe for sure. Cheers!

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
mntnmrtn wrote:
Brasher wrote:

Thanks Brash! That confirms that I have too much stroke on my shock because mine is 65mm stroke with only the bumper to prevent bottom out, no washer. I wonder why they do this, it's pretty risky for frames like ours!

One DVO guy told me that the bumper won't compress all the way and I'm safe, another one told me that I won't bottom it out with the right spring weight, and another one told me that the clearance I had was too little and I should add a spacer. Who should I trust?! haha

I'll try to find a delrin washer to fit there asap to be safe for sure. Cheers!

yep 65mm stroke is pushing the limits even with a dense bump stop, I feel you could damage the frame given a hard enough compression.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 20:16 Quote
I don't know why they did that! Just make it 60mm stroke if it's a 60mm stroke shock. I guess I was lucky I didn't damage the frame yet, well, at least I don't see any!

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 3:22 Quote
Ηi mine just built
A mini ride was amazing playful and fast

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
Anyone know the maximum insertion length on a 2020 meta am? Sorry if this has been asked already, I did a brief search and didn’t find the answer.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
Hi, I’m currently 5”9’ or 176cm. I’m looking at the 2021 commencal meta 29 and I’m stuck between a medium and a large. I’m riding a 29 Capra in a large just now and it fits perfect but I’m right in the middle of the recommended sizing for that. I’m worried if I go with the medium that I might grow out of it and find it awkward to ride since the start of the large recommendation is at 5”10’, but the large looks to be a big big just now. With the numbers being drastically larger than the YT
Any help is appreciated!

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
sunnywatson wrote:
Hi, I’m currently 5”9’ or 176cm. I’m looking at the 2021 commencal meta 29 and I’m stuck between a medium and a large. I’m riding a 29 Capra in a large just now and it fits perfect but I’m right in the middle of the recommended sizing for that. I’m worried if I go with the medium that I might grow out of it and find it awkward to ride since the start of the large recommendation is at 5”10’, but the large looks to be a big big just now. With the numbers being drastically larger than the YT
Any help is appreciated!

I would go for the large. I ride a 2018, and the large is getting a little small (i/m at 5'11 or so). Now granted the reach is going to be longer on the newer ones. Id still say Large.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
sunnywatson wrote:
Any help is appreciated!

I would go for the large. I ride a 2018, and the large is getting a little small (i/m at 5'11 or so). Now granted the reach is going to be longer on the newer ones. Id still say Large.

Not too sure as I’ve seen that last years large is running the same reach as this years medium. I’ve got a friend with an XL orange with similar reach to this years commencal large and I think it’s near unrideable. I ride a lot of tight steep trails where I am and I don’t want to have to try throw a bike too big for me around.
Might be perfect in the large just being scared off by the reach number.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
new Metas are super long. At your height you can easily ride an M. Look at how big guys like Rude and Graves are, and they are on size Ms as well.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
Upduro wrote:
new Metas are super long. At your height you can easily ride an M. Look at how big guys like Rude and Graves are, and they are on size Ms as well.

Yeah cheers. Think that’s what I’m going for reach is stupid long on the large for my height.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006704
Mobile Version of Website