All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:54 Quote
dirtrider121 wrote:
Spangle123 wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:
Hey, I've just ordered a meta tr 2021. What's the recommendation on air or coil shock?

Also when ordering the shock, is there anything specific I need or will it fit right in?

Also, I've ordered a size large, I'm about 5"11, will I get away with a 210mm dropper?

I'm building one i bought frame only. I've got a super deluxe coil and you need to buy the hardware just for the front fitting. Its 20 x 10. Same as this one https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/ride-alpha-hardware-20-x-10-c2x19999500. I got mine from offset bushings though, was only £10.

I'm also on a large and ive ordered a oneup 210mm. According to their calculator it will fit a 210 dropper with a 10mm shim for my height.

Ah mate, that's great to know, I can't work out how to use the one-up calculator without already having the bike built.

What headset and BB have you ordered for yours?

Headset was a hope pick n mix zs56/40 (type E) bottom cup and I got a superstar top cup. I would have got hope but they're sold out everywhere. The only seat collar i could find in stock was the superstar one but its not very good. It looks too thin, i'm holding out for the hope one to come back in stock somewhere.

BB was the shimano XT press fit one. SM-BB94-41A

I used the saddle to BB dimension on my old bike to guestimate where i'd want the saddle on the new bike. I just measured the seat post insertion length with a tape measure down to the pivot bolt through the frame.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
Checking out the 2021 am 29 ride, looks solid for 2700 with the exception of the 2 piston deore brakes. Curious how these would compare with the guide re's on the base capra / nukeproof mega expert? What makes the am ride worth $300 more over a base Capra, seems like the fork is the only real upgrade, different geo (steeper tube looks nice), worse brakes from what I've read, and heavier.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 4:29 Quote
hi there, this is more shoot in the dark but do you think there is a chance of meta mullet? any infos?

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:25 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
Checking out the 2021 am 29 ride, looks solid for 2700 with the exception of the 2 piston deore brakes. Curious how these would compare with the guide re's on the base capra / nukeproof mega expert? What makes the am ride worth $300 more over a base Capra, seems like the fork is the only real upgrade, different geo (steeper tube looks nice), worse brakes from what I've read, and heavier.

From what I gather the Meta doesn't Bob and wallow into its travel how a capra does. Seems to be more of a big travel bike that you can pedal with more efficiency than a capra. I received my Meta ride edition earlier in the week and it definitely rides nicely with very little bobbing. It is heavy but I can still bunny hop a three stair and I don't mind the extra weight for what I like to do.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:29 Quote
ViiiLu wrote:
hi there, this is more shoot in the dark but do you think there is a chance of meta mullet? any infos?

There's an aussie company that have made a link for it I think

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
ViiiLu wrote:

https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
From what I gather the Meta doesn't Bob and wallow into its travel how a capra does. Seems to be more of a big travel bike that you can pedal with more efficiency than a capra. I received my Meta ride edition earlier in the week and it definitely rides nicely with very little bobbing. It is heavy but I can still bunny hop a three stair and I don't mind the extra weight for what I like to do.[/Quote]

Good to know! Definitely is the better pedaler with that seat tube angle as well. Wish the base capra came with a rear lockout, maybe the 2021

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 2:14 Quote
I just came from the Capra 29 in L (460 reach) to the Meta AM in L (495 reach).

I have only had a few of rides yet. Two rides with lift assistance and one trail/xc ride. So far I must say that the Meta is a far better descender, but the longer reach of course play a factor here and I should probably have compared it to a XL or XXL Capra. The Meta is much more stable and the rear end is much smoother.

On technical climbing I would say that the Capra and the Meta are equal. The steeper seat tube makes the climbing position better on the Meta but there is a pretty big weight penalty that you really feel. With pedals, procore in the back, and a multi tool the Meta came in at 16,8 kg compared to 15,3 for the Capra 29.

On fast, flowy, flat terrain where you need to pedal a lot, the Capra definitely takes the win. It accelerates quicker and is more poppy. Same goes for smooth and less technical climbing. On a 40 minutes local XC ride that I have ridden hundreds of times, I was around 2 minutes slower on the Meta.

Once again the comparison is not perfect since the difference in size is so big.

Here is my AM 29 Origin. Upgraded with a Charger 2.1 RC2 damper in the fork and a 210 mm One Up. I have ordered a 4-piston brake for the front and a absoulute black bash/chain guide.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 2:28 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
I just came from the Capra 29 in L (460 reach) to the Meta AM in L (495 reach).

I have only had a few of rides yet. Two rides with lift assistance and one trail/xc ride. So far I must say that the Meta is a far better descender, but the longer reach of course play a factor here and I should probably have compared it to a XL or XXL Capra. The Meta is much more stable and the rear end is much smoother.

On technical climbing I would say that the Capra and the Meta are equal. The steeper seat tube makes the climbing position better on the Meta but there is a pretty big weight penalty that you really feel. With pedals, procore in the back, and a multi tool the Meta came in at 16,8 kg compared to 15,3 for the Capra 29.

On fast, flowy, flat terrain where you need to pedal a lot, the Capra definitely takes the win. It accelerates quicker and is more poppy. Same goes for smooth and less technical climbing. On a 40 minutes local XC ride that I have ridden hundreds of times, I was around 2 minutes slower on the Meta.

Once again the comparison is not perfect since the difference in size is so big.

Here is my AM 29 Origin. Upgraded with a Charger 2.1 RC2 damper in the fork and a 210 mm One Up. I have ordered a 4-piston brake for the front and a absoulute black bash/chain guide.

Thank you for your assessment. May I ask how tall you are?

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 3:33 Quote
I´m 185cm but have long legs and short upper body.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
Wonder if the new am is rated for a triple?
Not really worth buying a big travel bike unless it is. Enduro looks to be going that way which makes sense..unless mfgs and ews halt it.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
Hmm I’ve had two Capras and now the Meta and I found the Capra to be smoother on the DH- which I put down to the wheel path that the Horst link has vs linkage driven single pivot.

In tech high speed chunk like on Oilcan on Mt Fromme it was def smoother.

Uphill the Meta is way better. It pedals better, the seat angle is way better and yes it’s heavier- but I pedal up things I never bothered with on my Capra. It’s a better climber all day everyday- and if that wasn’t enough- it has a climb switch on the shock whereas my Capras did not.

I think the bikes are similarly capable when pointed downhill in reality - but the Capra is smoother. I think you’re on glue if you’ve owned both and think otherwise.

Overall I’m happier with the Meta- and I think I’m faster on it but who knows. I also don’t care much. In my view the Meta is overall a better bike for the following reasons:

1) Shimano builds avail whereas for the Capra you are stuck w SRAM. For me that’s a lot of switching out to do.

2) The frame is stiffer for sure- I had issues with the rear axle backing out on my Capra and like pinkbike put this down to some flex in the Alu Capra.

3) the frame is made from 6066 vs 6061 Alu (I don’t care about carbon and never will).

4) the bearing quality is higher in the Pivots.

5) the part spec on the one I bought was so good I don’t even have to change the seat.

6) the geometry is amazing. Capra has good geo but the new Meta is the first bike I’ve felt perfectly at home on.

7) it climbs better never mind it’s heavier.

That’s it. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

That’s my crappy Capra vs Meta comparo.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 15:50 Quote
james-chainbrothers-mtb wrote:
Hmm I’ve had two Capras and now the Meta and I found the Capra to be smoother on the DH- which I put down to the wheel path that the Horst link has vs linkage driven single pivot.

Uphill the Meta is way better. It pedals better, the seat angle is way better and yes it’s heavier- but I pedal up things I never bothered with on my Capra. It’s a better climber all day everyday- and if that wasn’t enough- it has a climb switch on the shock whereas my Capras did not.
I couldn't agree more about the fit of the Meta. It's absolutely perfect.
I think the bikes are similarly capable when pointed downhill in reality - but the Capra is smoother. I think you’re on glue if you’ve owned both and think otherwise.

Overall I’m happier with the Meta- and I think I’m faster on it but who knows. I also don’t care much. In my view the Meta is overall a better bike for the following reasons:

1) Shimano builds avail whereas for the Capra you are stuck w SRAM. For me that’s a lot of switching out to do.

2) The frame is stiffer for sure- I had issues with the rear axle backing out on my Capra and like pinkbike put this down to some flex in the Alu Capra.

3) the frame is made from 6066 vs 6061 Alu (I don’t care about carbon and never will).

5) the part spec on the one I bought was so good I don’t even have to change the seat.

6) the geometry is amazing. Capra has good geo but the new Meta is the first bike I’ve felt perfectly at home on.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
SLKING9000 wrote:

Do you guys mind mentioning your height and the frame size you've ridden? I'm 99% ready to pre-order a Meta AM however coming from a 2011 Enduro I am worried about the 490mm reach on the L frame.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:03 Quote

Interesting. Capra was definitely on the shortlist along with the Meta so interesting to hear your comparison since you've ridden both. I also felt like the suspension wasn't as plush as my last bike, but I suppose it's the tradeoff for the better climbing. The geometry though is amazing.

Did Commencal sort you out after the hub play you noticed?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006527
Mobile Version of Website