All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
CaMKii wrote:
james-chainbrothers-mtb wrote:
Hmm I’ve had two Capras and now the Meta and I found the Capra to be smoother on the DH- which I put down to the wheel path that the Horst link has vs linkage driven single pivot.

Interesting. Capra was definitely on the shortlist along with the Meta so interesting to hear your comparison since you've ridden both. I also felt like the suspension wasn't as plush as my last bike, but I suppose it's the tradeoff for the better climbing. The geometry though is amazing.

Did Commencal sort you out after the hub play you noticed?

Hey -

I messaged them and they told me to bring it by... I don’t live close anymore though so it’s not possible. I’ve decided to just live with it and replace it with a DT 350 when it grenades (if it grenades?).

For the other poster- don’t worry about the reach numbers. I’m 6’2” and ride XL. I rode XL in the Capra as well. Fit is perfect (better than on the Capra because they leave some steer tube so you can mix spacers and stem around to get the right stack height).

I understand your concern though because I originally had the same thought. Add to that the issue that Commencals sizing chart and numbers haven’t been perfect in the past and I get it.

Here’s what I did- this bike has similar geometry to the new Norco sight- go to their website and figure out based on the numbers what size you should get and it will be good.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 17:17 Quote
I’m also on a Capra, but building up a L Meta. I’m 6’ even. Very excited for a little snappier of an all mountain bike that climbs better than the Capra.

I think it is partly the air shock on the Capra, but mine is a total couch and feels sluggish. It’s comfy on the super steep descents, but not very poppy. Previous SP bikes I’ve had pop better and are stiffer.

Current Capra geo is pretty out of date. I assume they are revising that for 2021.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 17:36 Quote
mammothmounts wrote:
SLKING9000 wrote:
Hmm I’ve had two Capras and now the Meta and I found the Capra to be smoother on the DH- which I put down to the wheel path that the Horst link has vs linkage driven single pivot.

In tech high speed chunk like on Oilcan on Mt Fromme it was def smoother.

Uphill the Meta is way better. It pedals better, the seat angle is way better and yes it’s heavier- but I pedal up things I never bothered with on my Capra. It’s a better climber all day everyday- and if that wasn’t enough- it has a climb switch on the shock whereas my Capras did not.
I couldn't agree more about the fit of the Meta. It's absolutely perfect.
I think the bikes are similarly capable when pointed downhill in reality - but the Capra is smoother. I think you’re on glue if you’ve owned both and think otherwise.

Overall I’m happier with the Meta- and I think I’m faster on it but who knows. I also don’t care much. In my view the Meta is overall a better bike for the following reasons:

1) Shimano builds avail whereas for the Capra you are stuck w SRAM. For me that’s a lot of switching out to do.

2) The frame is stiffer for sure- I had issues with the rear axle backing out on my Capra and like pinkbike put this down to some flex in the Alu Capra.

3) the frame is made from 6066 vs 6061 Alu (I don’t care about carbon and never will).

4) the bearing quality is higher in the Pivots.

5) the part spec on the one I bought was so good I don’t even have to change the seat.

6) the geometry is amazing. Capra has good geo but the new Meta is the first bike I’ve felt perfectly at home on.

7) it climbs better never mind it’s heavier.

That’s it. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

That’s my crappy Capra vs Meta comparo.

I couldn't agree more about the fit of the Meta. It's absolutely perfect.

Do you guys mind mentioning your height and the frame size you've ridden? I'm 99% ready to pre-order a Meta AM however coming from a 2011 Enduro I am worried about the 490mm reach on the L frame.

I'm 6 feet even with my shoes off. I went with the size large Meta.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
You should be good on a large!

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:09 Quote

In tech high speed chunk like on Oilcan on Mt Fromme it was def smoother.

Uphill the Meta is way better. It pedals better, the seat angle is way better and yes it’s heavier- but I pedal up things I never bothered with on my Capra. It’s a better climber all day everyday- and if that wasn’t enough- it has a climb switch on the shock whereas my Capras did not.

I think the bikes are similarly capable when pointed downhill in reality - but the Capra is smoother. I think you’re on glue if you’ve owned both and think otherwise.

Overall I’m happier with the Meta- and I think I’m faster on it but who knows. I also don’t care much. In my view the Meta is overall a better bike for the following reasons:

1) Shimano builds avail whereas for the Capra you are stuck w SRAM. For me that’s a lot of switching out to do.

2) The frame is stiffer for sure- I had issues with the rear axle backing out on my Capra and like pinkbike put this down to some flex in the Alu Capra.

3) the frame is made from 6066 vs 6061 Alu (I don’t care about carbon and never will).

4) the bearing quality is higher in the Pivots.

5) the part spec on the one I bought was so good I don’t even have to change the seat.

6) the geometry is amazing. Capra has good geo but the new Meta is the first bike I’ve felt perfectly at home on.

7) it climbs better never mind it’s heavier.

That’s it. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

That’s my crappy Capra vs Meta comparo.

Were the Capras you had the new or the old version? 27 or 29? Long (XL-XXL) or short cs?

This pb review I found also seem to agree on the harshness of the Capra. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-yt-capra-29-cf-pro-race.html

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:31 Quote
I’ve had both version 1 and 2 of the capra. Both were a “magic carpet” ride feeling or as another poster said - like a couch. Both had 27.5 wheels. I think the 29er version is less plush but should still be smoother than the Meta.

Version 1 I bought the wrong size at size L so I didn’t keep it long.

The second gen was an XL same as my Meta.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
Are there any alloy bikes ~$3,000 with higher end brakes like Shimano zee's? The Meta am ride only has deore's and the essential with slx at $3500, would almost prefer to buy the cheaper origin and immediately upgrade the stock brakes.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
I’ve had both version 1 and 2 of the capra. Both were a “magic carpet” ride feeling or as another poster said - like a couch. Both had 27.5 wheels. I think the 29er version is less plush but should still be smoother than the Meta.

Well a 27 Capra is a pretty different bike than the 29 if you have tried both.

You are on the 21 Meta now?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:03 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
Are there any alloy bikes ~$3,000 with higher end brakes like Shimano zee's? The Meta am ride only has deore's and the essential with slx at $3500, would almost prefer to buy the cheaper origin and immediately upgrade the stock brakes.

Nope - best you’ll do are the SLX that I’ve seen.

I had Zee’s and now have SLX 4 piston. There isn’t heaps of difference that I can tell.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:05 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:

Well a 27 Capra is a pretty different bike than the 29 if you have tried both.

You are on the 21 Meta now?

Yes I’ve heard the 29 Capra isn’t as plush- haven’t ridden one as the wheel size at the time didn’t interest me. I will reserve my remarks for the 27.5 version only!

I am on the 21 Meta now yes. I have a friend who rides the 20 Meta and rode my Capra and said the capra was a cloud in comparison- he’s been chasing the feeling on his Meta for one year now and has finally resigned to the fact that it just isn’t as smooth in the chunder (again the 27.5 wheeled Capra).

But again as previously stated - I prefer the Meta for many reasons over the Capra.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
FYI anyone who ordered the Essential in Gun Metal; looks like Commencal updated the pictures on the website. The color is completely different now. I still dig it though.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
m-keiser wrote:
FYI anyone who ordered the Essential in Gun Metal; looks like Commencal updated the pictures on the website. The color is completely different now. I still dig it though.

Wow that looks amazing, looks like the mirror polished frame. Don't regret getting the green Essential since I've been riding it for over a month now but goddamn that gun metal is good looking.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
Still no small for the high end builds. No idea why commencal isn't bringing them to north america. I'm pretty choked! I'm considering the essential but not sure about the fox performance suspension. Currently have ohlins Evo on my enduro which is hard to beat.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
CaMKii wrote:
Wow that looks amazing, looks like the mirror polished frame. Don't regret getting the green Essential since I've been riding it for over a month now but goddamn that gun metal is good looking.

I'd much rather have the bike now like you hahah. A little over a month left to wait... no biggie. The gun metal is growing on me more, can't wait to see it in person.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
My 2021 Meta TR Ride showed up last week and have gotten a few good rides in - I'm 5' 10" and went with a medium. This is also my first 29er - and I have to say I am absolutely in love with it. My last new bike was a 2008 Glory, and this thing gives me the same confidence as my old race bike - albeit it can climb. I have been riding local (So FL) trails for a while now on my old dirt jumper (Jackal), and despite the pretty long travel, this thing still rips and feels very responsive. I think a large would have been cumbersome for my height. Looking forward to getting back up north for some real gravity-fed riding, but have to say this bike was well worth the wait and is a blast to ride. Glad I chose Commencal to get back to the future on. Granted, I haven't ridden any other modern bike, any 27.5 or 29, but felt at home instantly on this thing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009258
Mobile Version of Website