All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
HMRobot45 wrote:
Is it possible to increase the rear Travel of a Meta Tr 2021 to 150 or at least 145 mm?

I'm thinking about getting one, but i'd like to have a little more travel, or at least the option to bump it up by 10mm if the initial amount is not enough.

Honestly If you are worried about the AM being too much bike then the TR will be perfect as is. The Super Deluxe Ultimate feels amazing if that’s the shock that you are going for. And you’ll be dropping that bottom bracket height if you lower the fork travel on the AM.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
HMRobot45 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
HMRobot45 wrote:
Is it possible to increase the rear Travel of a Meta Tr 2021 to 150 or at least 145 mm?

I'm thinking about getting one, but i'd like to have a little more travel, or at least the option to bump it up by 10mm if the initial amount is not enough.

May as well get the AM? Better too have too much travel than not enough.

I'm still considering the AM as well but there are two arguments against it.
On the one Hand it seems to be way too much bike and also very aggresive for where i live (the wrong part of Austria in terms of MTB Frown ).
On the other Hand, but still tying in to point one, the TR is lighter which is a nice to have considering a lot of the riding i do will include pedaling.

I also thought about maybe taming an AM a bit with a 160mm Fork.

Arguments for the AM would be the better spec in the essential build, and also no hassle with switching components.
Its basically the question on how often i will make it to an Area where the bike feels at home. I'm at least 2 hours away from Trails where the AM really is in its element.

Seems like you're over thinking! a few lbs won't make a difference while you're riding. You won't notice it. Dropping the travel 10mm also won't really make a difference either. Stop thinking and just buy the bike and ride it!

If you have steep and techy trails then get the AM. If your trails lean towards flow and they aren't very steep go with a TR

Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 10:17 Quote
ThunderChunk, you red my mind !

Order the bike and ride !!!

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
CP7543 wrote:
piffjar wrote:
CP7543 wrote:
Anyone have the 2021 TR essential in gunmetal? Lookin for some better pics then the website offers...

I think the first batch is expected in Nov.

Here's a few photos from previous year Gun Metal, should be pretty similar.

https://imgur.com/a/zzJJdQQ

not my photos.

Wow, that color looks so sexy. Thank you. 1 more month! ????????

Yup 1 more month Jail Madder Drool

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
piffjar wrote:
CP7543 wrote:
piffjar wrote:

I think the first batch is expected in Nov.

Here's a few photos from previous year Gun Metal, should be pretty similar.

https://imgur.com/a/zzJJdQQ

not my photos.

Wow, that color looks so sexy. Thank you. 1 more month! ????????

Yup 1 more month Jail Madder Drool

The waiting game does suck, and it’s gonna be end of season.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
HMRobot45 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
HMRobot45 wrote:

May as well get the AM? Better too have too much travel than not enough.

I'm still considering the AM as well but there are two arguments against it.
On the one Hand it seems to be way too much bike and also very aggresive for where i live (the wrong part of Austria in terms of MTB Frown ).
On the other Hand, but still tying in to point one, the TR is lighter which is a nice to have considering a lot of the riding i do will include pedaling.

I also thought about maybe taming an AM a bit with a 160mm Fork.

Arguments for the AM would be the better spec in the essential build, and also no hassle with switching components.
Its basically the question on how often i will make it to an area where the bike feels at home. I'm at least 2 hours away from Trails where the AM really is in its element.

I would highly suggest not under-forking the AM. That will mess up the geometry for riding. If you saw the review for the 2021 Meta TR, you'll know that it's hard to classify it as a trail bike, even with its "lower" travel. I think the TR is a fantastic bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
BroccoliRabe wrote:
My 2021 Meta TR Ride showed up last week and have gotten a few good rides in - I'm 5' 10" and went with a medium. This is also my first 29er - and I have to say I am absolutely in love with it. My last new bike was a 2008 Glory, and this thing gives me the same confidence as my old race bike - albeit it can climb. I have been riding local (So FL) trails for a while now on my old dirt jumper (Jackal), and despite the pretty long travel, this thing still rips and feels very responsive. I think a large would have been cumbersome for my height. Looking forward to getting back up north for some real gravity-fed riding, but have to say this bike was well worth the wait and is a blast to ride. Glad I chose Commencal to get back to the future on. Granted, I haven't ridden any other modern bike, any 27.5 or 29, but felt at home instantly on this thing.

I am same height and coming off a 2017 medium meta trail and looking to get 2021 Meta TR 29. I spoke with Commencal and they recommend i stay with Medium. Anyone else this height have experience between medium and large on 2021 TR 177.8 CM

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
Anyone tried a megneg on the new AM frame yet? Interested to see how this would feel.
I haven't been able to track down any charts of the kinematics, but to me the new frame does not feel overly progressive - however based on media coverage of the recent EWS rounds a lot of the race team are using coil shocks...

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
pattycakes9999 wrote:
Anyone tried a megneg on the new AM frame yet? Interested to see how this would feel.
I haven't been able to track down any charts of the kinematics, but to me the new frame does not feel overly progressive - however based on media coverage of the recent EWS rounds a lot of the race team are using coil shocks...

Riding the prior generation (650bb V4.2), but my experience with the Meg Neg has been really good. Definitely have to be willing to ride, adjust, ride some more, adjust some more, etc. But I'm at a point now where the bike is both poppy and fun, but tracks well and can take some solid cases.

Would suggest trying it out given it's a relatively low-cost upgrade!

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
crippitylip wrote:
BroccoliRabe wrote:
My 2021 Meta TR Ride showed up last week and have gotten a few good rides in - I'm 5' 10" and went with a medium. This is also my first 29er - and I have to say I am absolutely in love with it. My last new bike was a 2008 Glory, and this thing gives me the same confidence as my old race bike - albeit it can climb. I have been riding local (So FL) trails for a while now on my old dirt jumper (Jackal), and despite the pretty long travel, this thing still rips and feels very responsive. I think a large would have been cumbersome for my height. Looking forward to getting back up north for some real gravity-fed riding, but have to say this bike was well worth the wait and is a blast to ride. Glad I chose Commencal to get back to the future on. Granted, I haven't ridden any other modern bike, any 27.5 or 29, but felt at home instantly on this thing.

I am same height and coming off a 2017 medium meta trail and looking to get 2021 Meta TR 29. I spoke with Commencal and they recommend i stay with Medium. Anyone else this height have experience between medium and large on 2021 TR 177.8 CM

I'm 5' 9" and went with a medium TR frame. Been riding it for about 3 weeks and think the sizing is perfect. Might try a shorter stem on it (current is 45mm) because I'm finding it a bit harder to get the front end up for B'hops but I might just need to get used to it (it's my first 29er). This bike shreds

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
MN-mtb1977 wrote:
crippitylip wrote:
BroccoliRabe wrote:

I'm 5' 9" and went with a medium TR frame. Been riding it for about 3 weeks and think the sizing is perfect. Might try a shorter stem on it (current is 45mm) because I'm finding it a bit harder to get the front end up for B'hops but I might just need to get used to it (it's my first 29er). This bike shreds

photo

How did you get a bottle in there??!

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
Looks soooooo good brother!

Bless us with more pics please.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
photo

My new Meta AM build!
Big Grin

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
Thanks dscpat! It's almost too pretty for my liking. Only because you know it'll get scratched and banged up if you use it properly. Sorry, that's the only decent pic I have. I've been having too much fun riding it to waste time snapping pics.

Mitch243: It's the Specialized Zee II right hand exit cage with the smallest fabric bottle (I think it's 600ml). it just fits under the DVO Topaz piggyback. It's a tight fit but seems to be working well. I wish they would have moved the mounts a bit south on the downtube though.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
Here's my custom build AM... By custom I mean full of used parts from my old bike plus some rad new suspension.

I short shocked it with a 60mm stroke for about 150mm rear and a 160mm 38.

It's currently a mullet while I decide what 29 wheels I want to buy. The BB is slightly too low, but still totally rideable as a mullet. There is also a bit of front end flop on very low speed switchbacks due to the HA, which is probably about 62. I anticipate those geo issues being resolved when I go to a 29" rear.

I'm 6', this is an L. It's long and heavy and absolutely shreds!

CommencalUSA CS was good to deal with.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017421
Mobile Version of Website