All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
Hey there. Looking at picking up a 2020 AM 29 (if I ever sell my bike). Budget is definitely a consideration, so I'm back and forth between the Ride and the Essential. It certainly appears the spec of the Essential is a significant upgrade over the Ride (SLX vs NX, Fox over Rockshox, wheelset), but I'm not opposed to upgrading as things break. $600 isn't an insignificant amount of money, but I'm thinking it might be worth a bit of extra time and effort to save up the difference. Thoughts?

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 22:22 Quote
Definitely go with the Essential! It will cost you a lot more money if you upgrade later.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
jsnfschr wrote:
Hey there. Looking at picking up a 2020 AM 29 (if I ever sell my bike). Budget is definitely a consideration, so I'm back and forth between the Ride and the Essential. It certainly appears the spec of the Essential is a significant upgrade over the Ride (SLX vs NX, Fox over Rockshox, wheelset), but I'm not opposed to upgrading as things break. $600 isn't an insignificant amount of money, but I'm thinking it might be worth a bit of extra time and effort to save up the difference. Thoughts?

I've had the 2020 essential for a couple weeks now. The new SLX is very nice. The rear hub is silent, the 4 piston brakes work excellent with no changing bite point. The only things I've changed so far are grips (too thin), tires (Assegai ftw), and
the stem (went down to 40mm).

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
anyone have any time on the ride model? thinking of picking one up, any problems or pros/cons? thanks!

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
timeforaride wrote:
jsnfschr wrote:

I've had the 2020 essential for a couple weeks now. The new SLX is very nice. The rear hub is silent, the 4 piston brakes work excellent with no changing bite point. The only things I've changed so far are grips (too thin), tires (Assegai ftw), and

Floating bite point shimanos only happens to PB reviewers. Fab Dead Horse

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
PhoS wrote:
timeforaride wrote:
jsnfschr wrote:

Shimano brakes work best with on off approach don’t feather the brakes.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 17:54 Quote
enduroFactory wrote:
PhoS wrote:
timeforaride wrote:

Shimano brakes work best with on off approach don’t feather the brakes.

I never had a complaint about the modulation personally, I liked the bite from the older XTs. Now i'm on the new XTRs and they definitely bite softer but with so much more power on tap if you want it. I even think they're a bit overkill with the metal pads.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Sep 22, 2019 at 3:48

I’ve just ordered the 2020 am 29er team edition in a xl. I had a quick pedal of one around the Commencal car park and it felt really good (obviously didn’t get the complete feel of it riding it in a car park). I’m currently riding a plolygon Siskiu T7 with only 140mm travel front and back and am way out riding it. Definitely looking forward to jumping on this beast and having more travel for the bigger hits and drops and hitting up everything from bike parks to my local trails. The reason I went for the AM 29er in a xl is because I’m pretty tall (6,4”) and I wanted a bike that is capable of charging down trails, then being able to pedal back up, to hitting up bike parks and getting sendy and having fun. I was having a hard time deciding between the clash and the AM as the clash seems a bit more playful, but only comes in a 27.5 and the guys at Commencal really recommend the Meta AM for me. I’ve read a lot of reviews and everyone keeps talking about the weight. But I’m not concerned with it weighing in at just 15.9kg as I’m not a racer and plus it will just want to point downhill and charge, and let’s be honest going down hill is what it’s all about. Yeeaaww

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:14 Quote
You made the right decision, the AM will pedal circles around the Clash and still be a bomber on the downs.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 4:24 Quote
PhoS wrote:
You made the right decision, the AM will pedal circles around the Clash and still be a bomber on the downs.

Awesome to hear!! Can’t wait to go for a shred on it. It hopefully arrives this coming week

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
pbutter wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Saw the Meta 29 at Commencal's showroom in Andorra, really, really nice bikes.
184cm tall (and around) guys, any of you are riding a XL? Do you have issues with the seat tube length?
187cm. I went with the L based on their sizing chart, and also confirming with one of their reps when I called with some other questions about the bike. I was second guessing that after I ordered, as the reach is less than what a lot of other companies suggest for my size, but it's still longer than what I'm used to, and I'd rather the bike be more nimble in the twisty turny stuff. After a few rides I'm pretty sure the L is the right size for me, feels plenty roomy but still really agile.
So far really stoked on this bike. Was a bit worried about the weight, and haven't gotten it on any steep, long grinds yet, but it seems to climb as well as my Remedy. Haven't felt a need to use the lockout on the DPX2, either, which is nice. Still getting suspension dialed in, the bike is sooo plush on the downs, but I haven't come close to using full travel yet, not sure if that's due to set-up or if it will be good to go on burlier terrain once the snow melts, we'll see.
I had the same thoughts when it came to what size to order. I’m 6’4 (195cm) tall and was tossing up between the L and the XL. The guys at Commencal highly recommended the XL for me so I went with that. Just don’t want it to be to much of a boat to ride as I also want it to be as nimble as possible. Still waiting on the bike to arrive (hopefully this week). But all in all I trust what the guys at Commencal recommend.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
I'm 190cm and I've been riding the XL for a few months now, I went with the XL because I was told at the Canyon factory that my legs are slightly longer than average, so they recommended XL instead of L for my Neuron.

I used the same logic for my Meta and I haven't yet found it to be too long or heavy.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 22:33 Quote
Anyone know the max seat tube insertion on a medium Meta AM 29?

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 23:39 Quote
Anyone try running a 27.5 rear wheel on their meta AM 29? Sounds like it might be a interesting combo. 27.5 rear 29 front. Should make for an interesting combination

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-are-29275-mullet-bikes-faster-than-29ers.html

Has got me thinking

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
wizard604 wrote:
Anyone try running a 27.5 rear wheel on their meta AM 29? Sounds like it might be a interesting combo. 27.5 rear 29 front. Should make for an interesting combination

I borrowed a 27.5 rear wheel on my Meta in a race at Windrock Bike Park after my 29er rim decided it wanted to be shaped like pac man. It was probably something I could've gotten used to, but in the gnarly rocky terrain there I was hitting bash guard way too often. Also, another rarely mentioned downside to a mullet bike: I noticed pretty quickly that the back wheel was getting hung up on obstacles, and rock and root gardens were sapping much more speed than with the larger diameter wheel.
Now I'm sure this setup would've felt great on a flow trail where the lower CG would help cornering, and you could throw bigger whips with the more 'flickable' rear wheel... but that's not what I was riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014467
Mobile Version of Website