All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
I have a One Up in a Large 2021 AM, and you can slam it. For my height, I run it about 30mm up.

ryan198232 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:
Badgerbonce wrote:
Here's mine. Been riding it for about a month now and very impressed coming from a Slash 29.
Full custom build. New 36's are awesome too.

Do you find it better than the Slash? I'm in the same boat, currently riding a Slash 8 (2019), and looking at switching frame to the new Meta AM.

Also, does someone know how much post insertion is allowed in the size L? If accompanied by picture, all the better!

Take a look at my build. I have a 200mm tranz x post as far as it will go. It does all the way without the cable set up, but as soon as you add the cable, it hits the crosser where the seat stay mounts to the frame. I have a feeling though that a one up 210 dropper will fit all the way

Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
rpet wrote:
I have a One Up in a Large 2021 AM, and you can slam it. For my height, I run it about 30mm up.

ryan198232 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:

Do you find it better than the Slash? I'm in the same boat, currently riding a Slash 8 (2019), and looking at switching frame to the new Meta AM.

Also, does someone know how much post insertion is allowed in the size L? If accompanied by picture, all the better!

Take a look at my build. I have a 200mm tranz x post as far as it will go. It does all the way without the cable set up, but as soon as you add the cable, it hits the crosser where the seat stay mounts to the frame. I have a feeling though that a one up 210 dropper will fit all the way

You just helped me out aswell. A 210 slammed post would be perfect for my legs, so am going to order one now. I thought it would fit, but with my current 200mm not fitting once the cable is set up, made me not want to order the one up just incase.

Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
jpnbrider wrote:
Hello Meta owners,

As it seems not possible to get a 2021 version before end of 2021, I was wondering, Has someone tried and compare 2020 version with angleset / 2021 bike ?
Regarding the geometries, it seems that 2020 version with a slacker head angle would be really closed to the 2021 version, what do you think about this ?
I own a meta am 2020, but I feared the angleset would get the bike too slack and difficult to move around

geo changes on 2019 meta with 1.5° works set

commencal originally had the 2019 meta with 460mm reach in large on the website, some of the review pages had it with 465, and the 2020 model had 468 or so according to the website. this makes me believe they are completely the same frame and someone just fudged the geo numbers.

I think the angleset improved the bike. Haven't had too many rides in on it to make a long time comparison and I had a 10 week injury break between riding with and without the angleset, but it does feel more stable and a bit more confidence-inspiring. The 2021 meta is a completely different beast though by the numbers, so you won't make your 2020 into a 2021 just with an angleset.

I've tried super long and slack bikes like Nicolai, and while they're great when you have wider trails and high speeds, for my riding I prefer the Meta. It's a bit more manageable, even with the angleset. And super steep seat tubes are nice if all you do is climbs, but I ride a lot of flat ground to the trails and I feel like it puts too much pressure on my hands and feels a bit cramped.

Also the rear on the old meta just works so good. I tried a propain tyee in direct comparison and imo the meta was better. Both bikes had coils (DHX2 and RS SDC). During my injury break I fell a bit into the hole of longer lower slacker and thought I'd need a new bike but riding my Meta again blew all that away because it still rides amazing and I love it.

been ranting for too long, so tldr: No, angleset won't ruin your bike, you will get the benefits of a slacker head angle without changing the feel of the bike a lot. Run a 50mm stem to counter the shortened reach due to the offset head tube if you can.

Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 18:05 Quote

Upduro, your bike looks like a beast !

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 at 0:50 Quote
ryan198232 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:
Badgerbonce wrote:
Here's mine. Been riding it for about a month now and very impressed coming from a Slash 29.
Full custom build. New 36's are awesome too.

Yeah oneup is famous for short cable clamp. What did you notice switching from the Slash?

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
Upduro wrote:
jpnbrider wrote:
Hello Meta owners,

As it seems not possible to get a 2021 version before end of 2021, I was wondering, Has someone tried and compare 2020 version with angleset / 2021 bike ?
Regarding the geometries, it seems that 2020 version with a slacker head angle would be really closed to the 2021 version, what do you think about this ?
I own a meta am 2020, but I feared the angleset would get the bike too slack and difficult to move around

geo changes on 2019 meta with 1.5° works set

commencal originally had the 2019 meta with 460mm reach in large on the website, some of the review pages had it with 465, and the 2020 model had 468 or so according to the website. this makes me believe they are completely the same frame and someone just fudged the geo numbers.

I think the angleset improved the bike. Haven't had too many rides in on it to make a long time comparison and I had a 10 week injury break between riding with and without the angleset, but it does feel more stable and a bit more confidence-inspiring. The 2021 meta is a completely different beast though by the numbers, so you won't make your 2020 into a 2021 just with an angleset.

I've tried super long and slack bikes like Nicolai, and while they're great when you have wider trails and high speeds, for my riding I prefer the Meta. It's a bit more manageable, even with the angleset. And super steep seat tubes are nice if all you do is climbs, but I ride a lot of flat ground to the trails and I feel like it puts too much pressure on my hands and feels a bit cramped.

Also the rear on the old meta just works so good. I tried a propain tyee in direct comparison and imo the meta was better. Both bikes had coils (DHX2 and RS SDC). During my injury break I fell a bit into the hole of longer lower slacker and thought I'd need a new bike but riding my Meta again blew all that away because it still rides amazing and I love it.

been ranting for too long, so tldr: No, angleset won't ruin your bike, you will get the benefits of a slacker head angle without changing the feel of the bike a lot. Run a 50mm stem to counter the shortened reach due to the offset head tube if you can.

I am riding the 2020 longer version, but i am quite tall, and I am really happy with the 468mm reach.
I think I am going to try a -1.5 angleset, I know I won't upgrade my bike to the 2021model, but maybe improve it a little, and get it a modern geometry. I ride south of France, with really rough terrain, so I think it should be worth it.

Did you find that the bike lost a bit of grip on flat cornering because of the angleset ?

By the way, this is my bike.

I ended the setting with opening almost fully the High speed compression, is it something you also reached on Fox shock ?

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
used to have a meta HT essential 2020 in that same blue and man, it is a pretty piece !

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
I don’t think it lost any grip on flat corners, but it will definitely behave better in the steeps.

And yeah I have DHX2 on mine and I run 2 clicks HSC from open because according to pivot or yeti suspension guide you need a few clicks of HSC for the LSC to work properly. Same on the fork, and just enough LSC to not dive a lot in corners or under braking. I don’t need a lot of hsc because I don’t jump or huck to flat a lot but I want the most grip possible.

And thanks dscpat, the bike is an absolute monster still. Switched a bunch of parts out since that photo was taken though.

Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
Hello everybody!

This is my first post on this forum and i am looking forward to replies.

So i ordered new meta 29AM signature a couple of months ago and should be delivered by the end of the year. I was scrolling the internet for some indepth reviews but so far couldn't find any. I am unsure about the frame size i choosed ( frame size - Large) after i read the review on enduromtb. I am 6'1/34 or 186/88 and maybe someone with similar height who allready have this bike can give me some feedback if i picked right size and maybe say few words about bike handling. I ordered this bike because i like the idea of long and slack bike and alu frame (eko freak) and because the thing looks absolutely incredible, it was love on first sight. I mainly ride steep and rough trails and i like to go fast downhill - really fast!

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
mtb4lif3slo wrote:
Hello everybody!

So i ordered new meta 29AM signature a couple of months ago and should be delivered by the end of the year. I was scrolling the internet for some indepth reviews but so far couldn't find any. I am unsure about the frame size i choosed ( frame size - Large) after i read the review on enduromtb. I am 6'1/34 or 186/88 and maybe someone with similar height who allready have this bike can give me some feedback if i picked right size and maybe say few words about bike handling. I ordered this bike because i like the idea of long and slack bike and alu frame (eko freak) and because the thing looks absolutely incredible, it was love on first sight. I mainly ride steep and rough trails and i like to go fast downhill - really fast!

If you read back a few pages I asked a similar question. I'm 6'0" and I have a large on order as well. Luckily I was able to find an owner of a large '21 Meta 29 in my area that let me try out the bike. The large feels really good to me. Have a look at the size charts for the '21 Norco Sight and '21 Trek Slash and you'll see similar numbers for their large bikes.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 8:21 Quote
mammothmounts wrote:
mtb4lif3slo wrote:
Hello everybody!

If you read back a few pages I asked a similar question. I'm 6'0" and I have a large on order as well. Luckily I was able to find an owner of a large '21 Meta 29 in my area that let me try out the bike. The large feels really good to me. Have a look at the size charts for the '21 Norco Sight and '21 Trek Slash and you'll see similar numbers for their large bikes.

Large feels perfect to me and I’m 6’0” with 6’3” wingspan

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
dscpat wrote:

Upduro, your bike looks like a beast !

Just the right amount of red accent. Looks hot!

Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 2:40 Quote
The red hubs are gone thanks to e13 rim quality lol

I kinda miss the black spring but the SLS one that I have fits my current weight better. This is what it looks like right now:

Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 3:52 Quote
Just wanted to share an experience with the Commencal customer service.

I got my AM29 in October. Already after a handful of rides a rattling sound appeared from the Shimano cassette. I took the cassette off and it the rivets between the largest and the second largest cog were loose and a play had developed.

I contacted Commencal and they gave me the option to either go to a LBS and make the claim (Commencal would replace the LBS for shipping and handling) or that I sent the cassette to Shimano in France. I choose to send it myself. I asked if I could ride for a couple of weeks more until I sent the cassette since it was the end of the season and got the answer that it was no problem.

I put the cassette in a box and got a link where I booked the pick up.

Less then a week later I got a mail that the claim is accepted and that a new cassette is on its way to me. I´m really pleased with the fast and professional help I got from customer service.

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 at 13:37 Quote
I know this has been asked a bunch but anybody in the ~5ft 10in (178-180cm) and 178-180cm wing span physically sit on or ride a 2021 TR in both medium and large? The sizing chart puts me right at the high end of the M and on the very low of the L.

Current ride is a 2016 Slash 9.8 18.5in frame size with a spec sheet 440 reach but I run a 60mm stem and 30mm rise bars. I was leaning towards a M figuring I can easily lengthen the cockpit with a stem but it's not really possible to shorten the L more than using a 35mm stem. One hangup is I just reviewed effective top tube length of my Slash is 600 and the TR due to seat tube angle is actually shorter on the M at 592 and the L is 618.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009165
Mobile Version of Website