All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 17:21 Quote
Curious how others running a manitou Mara Pro are finding the shock? I’ve finally been able to ride my beautiful new bike, but am finding that I’m blowing through rear travel. My shock came with 3 spacers in the positive air chamber and none in the negative chamber. Wondering if I should switching air cans, or adjusting the compression stack? Any help would be welcome!

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
I too have volume spacer questions, but for a Fox X2. I believe I have none installed at the moment as I bought the shock separately from the frame. I have 3 spacers available that came with the shock.

What are you guys running?

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
This video talks about the volume spacers. He had to max out the spacers to get the suspension right

https://youtu.be/8fUiGWWvY7g

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 0:36 Quote
carter wrote:
I too have volume spacer questions, but for a Fox X2. I believe I have none installed at the moment as I bought the shock separately from the frame. I have 3 spacers available that came with the shock.

What are you guys running?

I had to max out volume spacers and run 20% sag on my RS Deluxe to not bottom out to easily. Now I have installed the megneg so that same pressure that gave 20% sag and prevented early bottom out instead gives me 30% sag and smoother start of the travel.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
What're people's thoughts on running a 180 mm fork with a cane creek angleset and a 230x65 shock (same eye to eye length) in the back? I'd assume both would make the climbing position a little less efficient due to more sag in the back and a naturally slacker HT angle/higher BB but figured I may be able to offset that with the CC angleset?

Having about a 165/180 meta sounds pretty sick given I go ride Virgin a couple times a year and spend a decent amount of time in the bike park and was gonna order a clash before they all sold out. Would almost be like a 29er clash. I'm convincing myself the more I write about it hahaha.

Also any clue how much 2.5 mm extra stroke would change the suspension kinematics?

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 17:53 Quote
pjfisch wrote:
What're people's thoughts on running a 180 mm fork with a cane creek angleset and a 230x65 shock (same eye to eye length) in the back? I'd assume both would make the climbing position a little less efficient due to more sag in the back and a naturally slacker HT angle/higher BB but figured I may be able to offset that with the CC angleset?

Having about a 165/180 meta sounds pretty sick given I go ride Virgin a couple times a year and spend a decent amount of time in the bike park and was gonna order a clash before they all sold out. Would almost be like a 29er clash. I'm convincing myself the more I write about it hahaha.

Also any clue how much 2.5 mm extra stroke would change the suspension kinematics?

That sounds way too slack. Even with stock geometry (63.6 HTA) you have to actively weight the front end in flat corners. The changes you're talking about would probably slacken the front out to 62 degrees or so. Probably really fun in steeps and straights though.

Unless you're building up from a frame, I'd say try with the stock geometry first. Bike is crazy capable from the box.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
Well I'd assume the extra 10 mm travel in the fork would slacken the HT angle abt .5 degrees --> 63.1 degree head angle. And then accounting for the slightly extra sag in the rear on climbs it'd probly push it to like 62.9. But the angleset could bring it back to between 63.4 and 64.4 degrees no? Unless my math on the sag is super off it seems like I could end up with an even steeper head angle than stock which could be a good thing for those flowy bike park days.

Only reason I'm asking is I'm coming off a Nomad V4 that felt a little small (which is kind of insane to say haha) when I've been to southern utah and was eyeing up big drops I wish I had a DH bike for. But maybe I was just being a pussy and coming up with excuses not to hit some of the stuff lol.

Any clue how the extra 2.5 mm stroke would affect the kinematics though?
Also would the 180 mm fork change the seat tube angle much if I use the angleset? Seems like it'd be a little slacker?

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
I just bought a 65mm stroke shock to run while I send my Mara in to be set at the proper stroke( they forgot to switch from 60to 62.5) and should have the longer stroke to try out tomorrow. My last bike was a clash, and don’t think the meta is any less aggressive than the clash... if anything, maybe more so? Mind you mine was 2019 so was steeper

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
ya no I'm not worried about it not being aggressive enough. I had a Turner DHR with a 63.5 degree head angle and that thing trucked. If anything maxing out the angleset to make it a little more playful could be a good thing along with a little extra travel for big sends. Let me know how that longer stroke works out for you tomorrow.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 18:34 Quote
pjfisch wrote:
Well I'd assume the extra 10 mm travel in the fork would slacken the HT angle abt .5 degrees --> 63.1 degree head angle. And then accounting for the slightly extra sag in the rear on climbs it'd probly push it to like 62.9. But the angleset could bring it back to between 63.4 and 64.4 degrees no? Unless my math on the sag is super off it seems like I could end up with an even steeper head angle than stock which could be a good thing for those flowy bike park days.

Only reason I'm asking is I'm coming off a Nomad V4 that felt a little small (which is kind of insane to say haha) when I've been to southern utah and was eyeing up big drops I wish I had a DH bike for. But maybe I was just being a pussy and coming up with excuses not to hit some of the stuff lol.

Any clue how the extra 2.5 mm stroke would affect the kinematics though?
Also would the 180 mm fork change the seat tube angle much if I use the angleset? Seems like it'd be a little slacker?

Oh I thought you wanted to use the angleset to lower the front end more to account for the increased axle-to-crown of the longer fork, but you're talking about making it steeper.

Might not be a bad idea actually. I get quite a few pedal strikes and I don't think the handling would suffer from the front end being raised a bit.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
So I used an online bike renderer program to see how the change in fork length would affect HT angle, ST angle etc... Made an excel file comparing this to the original geometry as well as the geometry of the 180 mm fork with the angleset. Thought you guys might be interested so here it is.
Meta AM 29 geometry w 180 mm fork and angleset at different positions

I might try to adjust these values based on extra sag from a longer shock stroke (230x65 vs 230x62.5) to see how that might affect the geometry as well. I'll post again if I update it.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 20:41 Quote
you are talking 0.75mm of sag difference (based on stroke) between the two shocks @ 30% sag, the difference will be negligible.

You will literally have more room of error measuring the sag with the ruler than the difference in numbers.

I overforked my stumpy evo previous to the meta, put a 170mm airshaft on a bike at a stock 63.5HA, made it infinitely worse lol.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
pjfisch wrote:
So I used an online bike renderer program to see how the change in fork length would affect HT angle, ST angle etc... Made an excel file comparing this to the original geometry as well as the geometry of the 180 mm fork with the angleset. Thought you guys might be interested so here it is.
Meta AM 29 geometry w 180 mm fork and angleset at different positions

I might try to adjust these values based on extra sag from a longer shock stroke (230x65 vs 230x62.5) to see how that might affect the geometry as well. I'll post again if I update it.

I have a 180mm Zeb on my 2021 Meta AM. Have a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate with a MegNeg on the rear, stock 62.5 stroke.
Also have a 35mm stem.
I love the bike!

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
pjfisch wrote:

I built mine frame up and I'm running a 180mm Fox 38 (the 170mm version wasn't released yet when I bought it) and the angle headset. I can't for the life of me remember which way I installed the headset. I do find on super tight corners the front will have a tendency to flop over. Going down a trail fast it feels great though. I planned on installing the 170mm damper on its first rebuild to try it out in the factory geometry so I can compare.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
I have a new 2021 meta TR 29 race that i've been riding for about a month. I love the bike so far but I'm constantly hearing a slight clanking noise from somewhere in the rear half of the bike. I thought it may be the coil spring but it's firmly seated against the retainer and collar. It still sounds like that's where the noise is coming from but I don't understand how and I'm not sure what else the noise could be. Everything seems tight. Any ideas?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025546
Mobile Version of Website