Whyte T-130 S

PB Forum :: Whyte Bikes
Whyte T-130 S
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 26, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
Anyone out there have hands on experience with Whyte's 2018 T-130 S (link)? Interested in hearing about geometry in general, as well as build quality, etc.

Have been looking at Canyon's Spectral AL 6.0, but kinda like the look of the T-130. Specs are pretty close.

Typical riding here in Texas is just about everything from flat out XC to techy punchy roots/rocks climbs and descends, fixed granite and limestone rock gardens. Hard pack, lose over hard, loose rock. Also ride a few times a year in Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas and Lake Tahoe basin.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 9:41 Quote
Hey Fred, I've had two of these bikes, a 2017 C-RS ( which was stolen by some meth head ass bags right before Christmas) and a 2018 Aluminum RS that replaced it. They are fantastic bikes, very nimble and versatile. The geometry can handle everything you're likely to find in any trail or all-mountain ride. Friends of mine have also used them for Enduro racing, though in a really steep or fast course, a bit bigger bike might be appropriate.

I'm not sure what size you're looking for, but there are still some 2017 models in stock, which would get you a higher level spec for about the same $. The Aluminum RS is like the deal of the century even at full MSRP: Full Fox/XT/Raceface build for $2999.

Disclosure: I'm not an unbiased observer...I get discounted bikes for racing on them and online brand ambassador stuff like this post!

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 6:26 Quote
Thanks for the feedback SenorMartillo... I actually ordered a 2018 S. Should be in a day or two. Looking forward to it. Only spec I'm not overly crazy about are its brakes. I'll likely replace them with my favorites (XT's) once the first set of pads wear out.

Now if only I can find Whyte t-shirts here in the U.S. Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 8:57 Quote
Received the new T-130. Yup, everything it's reported to be. After just a couple of miles on it, it feels like I've been on it for years. VERY easy to ride. Very good fit and finish... something I don't normally notice on bikes. This thing is happy with, and good at, everything from slow rock crawling, to fast XC, to steep root and rock climbs and drops, to fast gnarly blasts. It's easy to forget it's "only" 130mm". A great "do it all' trail bike. Great pre and post customer service too.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
Thought I'd toss out an update, now that I've been on the T-130 for three months now.

I've been riding 3-5 times a week, weather permitting, on just about every trail in North Texas, as well as some in Central and East Texas. I've spent some time on it riding in Northwest Arkansas around Bentonville, Fayetteville. Also rode a week in the Vail, Colorado area, and a week riding South Lake Tahoe. In other words, spent time on a lot of different trail types and conditions on the T-130. Bottom line, this bike continues to prove it as a true, do it all bike. It's at home with anything I rode it on. I find it comfortable and efficient on flat hard pack XC stuff, and solid and confident on downhills I rode in Colorado and Tahoe that I really should have taken slower. Especially considering some of the poor line choices I took. Smile And just when I think this thing is great at sweeping though flowy fast turns, dropping off ledges, and bouncing through rock gardens, I am amazed at how well it climbs steep technical punches. The geometry is just right all around... solid nose down handling, yet, the front never wonders off pointing it back to the sky. Reluctantly, I also rode some high altitude, long grinding, uphills. Although I ran out of oxygen, the bike performed better than my XC bike.

The WTB tires (Trail Boss rear, Vigilante front) the bike came with are surprisingly great. No failures at all. The only stuff they didn't plant well on was the decomposed grant "sand" that is common in the Lake Tahoe area. But to be fair, when they wigged out there, it was when the sand was pretty deep, as is rim deep on 2.5" tires. Unless you're on balloon tires, I'm not sure anything would work well in that case.

The only thing I've changed on the T-130 so far (no other changes planned or needed)... brakes. that was a given for me, though. I prefer the modulation of Shimano (M8000/XT specifically) brakes over SRAM's modulation. Purely a personal preference. However, I did manage to fade out the rear brake on a long down hill run in Colorado. Enough so that a I had to decontaminate the pads, and use abrasive polish to "resurface" the rotor. The rotor actually discolored (blued) on that downhill run. I recall really needing to clamp down hard on the levers on that ride. I have since replaced the brakes with M8000/XT's. Life is good now.

Now that it's well broken it, the bike is still, almost eerily, quiet. No rattles or squeaks. I've lost count of how many times I've ridden up behind someone on rough bouncy trails, and they never heard me coming. Including walkers.

I'm a happy camper...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009040
Mobile Version of Website