Tyre and Rim width

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tyre and Rim width
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 6:31 Quote
The question is simple. Is it wise to mount a 2,4 inch tyre to a 20mm inner width rim. (29er)

I was looking at the Continental Der Baron and Trailking

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 5:39 Quote
RecklessJack wrote:
The question is simple. Is it wise to mount a 2,4 inch tyre to a 20mm inner width rim. (29er)

I was looking at the Continental Der Baron and Trailking

my guess is, while it's not ideal, it should work. could get a bit squirmy if you run lower pressures.
if you wanna make sure i'd just send Continental a quick email.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:45 Quote
You will be fine. Don't believe the hype. IIRC the most popular rim at the Losinj WC DH race was dt swiss ex471 @ 25mm inner width.

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 3:33 Quote
Well i just wanted to figure it out. since everyone says something else. some even said that i needed 30mm inner width which seems a excessive to me. I just want a crapload of grip and i'm not a DH champion. (far from it)

My bike still has the standard tires mounted. A schwalbe nobby nic and rocket ron. Both are the liteskin versions. and you must inflate these properly (i dont dare going tubeless as well with these things) or els punctures like no tomorrow.

As a shimano user i dont consider today the right time for new wheels as well. That's an upgrade for when the new XT is here with that microspline standard.

I might just give it a go then. my current tires are starting to dislike corners and roots. (roots they never liked much but hey.) Im just not sure if ill put a 2,4 in the back or a 2.2

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 5:58 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
You will be fine. Don't believe the hype. IIRC the most popular rim at the Losinj WC DH race was dt swiss ex471 @ 25mm inner width.

+1
Mavic are also on the narrrow side, for many years Deemax DH wheels had 21mm inner width with dudes running 2.5in

sure heavy guys that can rail corners might need to keep psi above 26-28 to prevent burps

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 6:52 Quote
I personally wouldn't want to run a tyre with more than 2.3" on anything less than 29mm think Stans Flow rims which MK1 which I had on my 29er running 2.1" RR and Thunderburt tyres.

If you want to run a decent pressure to gain grip and aid traction then I would suggest wider rims the better and going tubeless at the same time.

I now run 38mm e/w rims tubeless and am a big bloke running 17psi front and 19 psi rear with loadsa grip on 2.8" volumous rounded NN tyres just for context.

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
What about mounting a 2.6 on a 40mm inside width? I'm hearing both yes and no.

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 7:36 Quote
humangps wrote:
What about mounting a 2.6 on a 40mm inside width? I'm hearing both yes and no.

could work but would be very snug in the front (nonboost fork) i reckon.. look up my pics to see what 2.5 wt minions on 30mm rims look like.

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 7:41 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
humangps wrote:
What about mounting a 2.6 on a 40mm inside width? I'm hearing both yes and no.

could work but would be very snug in the front (nonboost fork) i reckon.. look up my pics to see what 2.5 wt minions on 30mm rims look like.

ignore this post - thought i was in the Jeffsy-thread Big Grin

Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 5:18 Quote
i will just use the 2,4's. First ill try with just inner tubes since thats easier to setup. then ill give the tubeless stuff a go. im used to higher pressures because you need to on tires with thin sidewalls. (based on my experience so far)

I just need new tires for now. no new wheels or rims. a DT X1900 just isnt worth fitting new rims on. its not a bad wheelset but if i would change it id likely go hope tech or something. even tho those wheels havent got excessively wide rims. or i might let my LBS lace hope hubs on some stans rims or whatever. But then ive got to make a bigger choice. I also have the option to mount 27,5plus tires. the bike will fit those. but thats all for the future. for now just tires because no tires=no riding. and no riding=no fun.

Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
I personally wouldn't want to run a tyre with more than 2.3" on anything less than 29mm think Stans Flow rims which MK1 which I had on my 29er running 2.1" RR and Thunderburt tyres.

If you want to run a decent pressure to gain grip and aid traction then I would suggest wider rims the better and going tubeless at the same time.

I now run 38mm e/w rims tubeless and am a big bloke running 17psi front and 19 psi rear with loadsa grip on 2.8" volumous rounded NN tyres just for context.

I agree with this. I had magic mary's on the old stans rims which are pretty narrow, 19mm I think. They were fine but I couldn't run them too soft without them feeling a bit unstable. Wider rims don't do this.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 3:38 Quote
True but my bike is a 120mm full suspension. I mentioned thinking about a conti Der baron but that might be a little bit too much.

I just aim got get a good replacement for a nobby nic rocket ron (both liteskin) performance (cheapstuff). And since all the grippier tires are at least 2,35 inch id wanted to ask.

So id conclude from the reactions that fitting a 2,35 or a 2,4 (but not any bigger) would do fine on a 20mm internal rim. But wider is just better. And wheels arent cheap so if id buy those it would be better to wait till theyre available with the Shimano microspline standard (given that Shimano XT will be released in the near future)

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
RecklessJack wrote:
True but my bike is a 120mm full suspension. I mentioned thinking about a conti Der baron but that might be a little bit too much.

I just aim got get a good replacement for a nobby nic rocket ron (both liteskin) performance (cheapstuff). And since all the grippier tires are at least 2,35 inch id wanted to ask.

So id conclude from the reactions that fitting a 2,35 or a 2,4 (but not any bigger) would do fine on a 20mm internal rim. But wider is just better. And wheels arent cheap so if id buy those it would be better to wait till theyre available with the Shimano microspline standard (given that Shimano XT will be released in the near future)

While you're at it you could rename yourself "quite careful jack".

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 11:01 Quote
fielonator wrote:
RecklessJack wrote:
True but my bike is a 120mm full suspension. I mentioned thinking about a conti Der baron but that might be a little bit too much.

I just aim got get a good replacement for a nobby nic rocket ron (both liteskin) performance (cheapstuff). And since all the grippier tires are at least 2,35 inch id wanted to ask.

So id conclude from the reactions that fitting a 2,35 or a 2,4 (but not any bigger) would do fine on a 20mm internal rim. But wider is just better. And wheels arent cheap so if id buy those it would be better to wait till theyre available with the Shimano microspline standard (given that Shimano XT will be released in the near future)

While you're at it you could rename yourself "quite careful jack".

lmao, and I don't follow the xt comment?

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 5:11 Quote
Well, as you know shimano recently anounced their new XTR groupset. That comes with a new hub interface. that will mean that the next XT groupset (2019 presumably) will also use that interface. if i buy new wheels today and want to replace my current groupset (which will be worn out by then) over a year or so they wont fit on the new wheels which will only be a year old by then. so i would only buy wheels with the microspline interface. saves me money in the long run. these drivers arent cheap to buy aftermarket so thats why i dont prefer going that route.

That and im not the type of person that throws stuff away when it isnt broken or worn out. (usually, there is a limit tho)

I AM reckless tho. just not with my wallet. (Im a student as well so i cant really go reckless in this regard anyway)

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010388
Mobile Version of Website