2017 Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 Problems

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2017 Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 Problems
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:42 Quote
Hi!

Just want to have your thought about a problem that I have.

My 2017 rock shox monarch plus rc3 feel very weird at the beginning of the travel (approx 10-15%). It pass a very little hard spot that is very annoying! You can feel it easily when the shox compress.

The problem is intermittent, sometimes is it ok, sometimes is very bad... I rode when it was cold this week (10°C) and it was horrible.

I shipped my shox to a trusted shop twice and the problem still there... They changed oil/seal and a part that separate air and oil

Do you know what can be the origin of the problem?

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
Is it a debonair or hv?
Can you be more specific on the issue? Does it feel like it goes sticky or knocking and hard to go through the travel?

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 14:19 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Is it a debonair or hv?
Can you be more specific on the issue? Does it feel like it goes sticky or knocking and hard to go through the travel?

It's a DebonAir.

The problem is pretty hard to explain. It's like a knocking in a specific spot in the beginning the travel. Passed this spot, the suspension goes very well.

Also, when I put the medium or hard setting this problem seems to be really less noticeable.

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 22:09 Quote
What you are feeling is the equalisation of ghe positive and negative springs. Its supposed to do it! Inside the air can is a small notch 10-15% of the way into the travel. When fully extended, there is no air pressure in the negative spring, this is why the shock feels stiff at the start of the stroke. As the shock compresses 10-15% the seal on the main air piston passes over the notch in the air can allowing air to bleed past the seal to pressurise the negative spring, which acts in opposition to the main air spring.This is why the shock is softer and more responsive beyond this point as you now have a negative spring helping to compress the main/positive spring. I know it feels a bit weird but most air shocks have this weird notch feeling 10-15% into the travel. My Monarch has it and so does my Cane Creek Double Barrel air shock. Its supposed to do it! The feeling can vary with temperature changes as temp affects air pressure inside the shock, but also affects the flexibility of the seal that passes over the notch leading to it feeling different sometimes.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 0:24 Quote
stumpymidget wrote:
What you are feeling is the equalisation of ghe positive and negative springs. Its supposed to do it! Inside the air can is a small notch 10-15% of the way into the travel. When fully extended, there is no air pressure in the negative spring, this is why the shock feels stiff at the start of the stroke. As the shock compresses 10-15% the seal on the main air piston passes over the notch in the air can allowing air to bleed past the seal to pressurise the negative spring, which acts in opposition to the main air spring.This is why the shock is softer and more responsive beyond this point as you now have a negative spring helping to compress the main/positive spring. I know it feels a bit weird but most air shocks have this weird notch feeling 10-15% into the travel. My Monarch has it and so does my Cane Creek Double Barrel air shock. Its supposed to do it! The feeling can vary with temperature changes as temp affects air pressure inside the shock, but also affects the flexibility of the seal that passes over the notch leading to it feeling different sometimes.

totally wrong here mate, negative spring is always pressurized, once the pressure it's equalised, there should not be any dead spots, or weird noises.

If it sounds like air travels through the neg/pos chambers it most probably the middle seal pinched and when pressure builds up in the possitive chamber goes through to the negative chamber and gives that dead spot at the start of the travell, like the bike drops in the travel, happened to me before, twice on different shocks, when fiddling with volume spacers and ended up doing a full seal service! :/

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 0:26 Quote
And you should service you monarch and cane creek

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 0:52 Quote
That's how they both always felt from new, and after servicing. The above explanation is what I was told by the guys at TF Tuned who service both of my shocks.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 8:05 Quote
That shocks should have a deadspot?!
Wtf?!

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 9:38 Quote
stumpymidget wrote:
That's how they both always felt from new, and after servicing. The above explanation is what I was told by the guys at TF Tuned who service both of my shocks.
id take what TF tell you with a pinch of salt mate.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 10:22 Quote
Never had a chance to chat with them but a friend who owns a cc db is always on the phone with them for some reason.... he send the damn thing for servicing/rebuild after some air leak issues and since then he has constant problems...

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 10:28 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Never had a chance to chat with them but a friend who owns a cc db is always on the phone with them for some reason.... he send the damn thing for servicing/rebuild after some air leak issues and since then he has constant problems...
exactley what happened to me,sent CC in for a service came back knackered,3 times returned and sent back out still knackered.TF accused me of not knowing what I was talking about,no apologies or any thing,over a 2 month period,Had to involve CC direct to sort it out,TF rung me,next day apologised give me a new shock.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 11:29 Quote
stumpymidget wrote:
That's how they both always felt from new, and after servicing. The above explanation is what I was told by the guys at TF Tuned who service both of my shocks.
There must have been something lost in translation. Negative spring is there to start movement at top-out, think about how a coil negative spring works.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
Obviously he is lost in general regarding a shocks function, and played by tf tuned...

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
Have a same problem at the start of the shox is hard and past that is normal. I was adding volume spacers and since then this is happening. I guess i have to do a service on it. Best thing with shox are to leave them how they are othervise you will always have problems.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
Sure it's not air in the dampener. I gave up on my monarch after it kept blowing/leaking from the dampener and getting that dam dead spot. Shit shock glad I swopped it and not just cuz it kept breaking but it isn't even a good shock when it was working.

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007985
Mobile Version of Website