Mosquito Issues

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 9:15 Quote
I've been trying to solve an issue with mosquitos on rides for a while now but haven't found anything that really works. The main problem is bugs swarming my face, especially when climbing gravel roads. I wear a 40% DEET spray on my legs, arms, back of my neck and behind my ears, but this doesn't keep the bastards away from my face! It seems like any speed slower than 7 mph I get eaten alive, and having to take a hand off the bars every 10 seconds to swat at bugs while climbing isn't ideal. I've tried those little clip-on fan type things, which didn't help at all. Anyone else have or have solved this sort of problem?

Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 18:01 Quote
They go away in November

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 18:05 Quote
Keeping a speed about 7 mph.

Short, hard rides during bug season work for me.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
Being in Louisiana I know your pain but I don't have any issues with mosquitos as long as I use off or something. But that doesn't do anything to deter deer/yellow flies early in the morning or late evening this time of year.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 5:18 Quote
Try a chemical called Permethrin. You can buy bottles of it premixed from places like Academy, or even buy it in a more concentrated form online and mix it yourself.

The stuff will hurt cats and irritate your skin wet, but once it dries it is safe and you become a bug repelling machine. The stuff kills bugs, so they steer clear of anything treated with the stuff.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 17:22 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
Try a chemical called Permethrin. You can buy bottles of it premixed from places like Academy, or even buy it in a more concentrated form online and mix it yourself.

The stuff will hurt cats and irritate your skin wet, but once it dries it is safe and you become a bug repelling machine. The stuff kills bugs, so they steer clear of anything treated with the stuff.

long sleeve shirt works too and doesn't hurt cats : )

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 4:46 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
Will1848 wrote:

As long as it doesn't hurt dogs Razz

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 21:41 Quote
can DEET spray be applied to your face?

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 23:28 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
lblizzard wrote:
Will1848 wrote:

As long as it doesn't hurt dogs Razz

permethrin is gnarly dude. definitely avoid if possible. yes you will be mosquito free but that shit is basically insecticide and putting it on your skin is highly recommended against.

If you don't mind the smells, there are certain essential oils that you can put on your skin that are much safer and still get the job done. I like citronella oil/spray, it just smells like lemons.
there are also wristbands that you can buy on amazon that work really well, id suggest wearing one on your wrist and strapping another to your helmet. I wore those when i lived in kenya to avoid malaria and i only got one bite the entire time i was there. they are the springy yellow ones.

Posted: Jul 17, 2018 at 14:53 Quote
in northern NH it start in May with black flies, then mosquitoes, then mosquitoes and deer flies, then just deer flies...then it frost. That's why we ride so fast, stopping for a break is limited to 1 minute. and if you have a mechanical you just run while pushing your bike cause none of your friends are going to stop and help you

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.226424
Mobile Version of Website