Powered by Outside

new road bike disc vs rim brakes

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
new road bike disc vs rim brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2018 at 14:49 Quote
I've been an MTB guy for the past 20 years. I've been riding my trusty 1997 Kona Calders I built in '97 with street tires for road rides for 20 years (had 2 sets of rims for it so I could keep a set of knobby tires mounted and street tires) Had a turner flux and now on to a Pivot 429 Trail. I've decided I'm busting my butt on that Kona and should probably step up to a road bike.

This past week I looked at a few, Felt V 60, V40 and and Orbea Avant 30. I'm not looking to race, just ride for health, conditioning and when I can't get off road bit still want to log some miles. Which is why I'm looking at endurance geometry. Am I odd in saying that I preferred the feel of the 105 series rim brakes on the Orbea over the mechanical tiagara and claris disc on the felt? I've run hydraulic discs for 8 years on my mtb, maybe it's the difference in feel between hydraulic and mechanical. Now maybe it's because the discs weren't completely bedded in, I just felt like the braking was better with the rim brakes.

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 15:54 Quote
Rim brakes can be very good. There's a lot of braking surface area with rim brakes, so they can haul you down pretty quickly. Wet weather performance is better with discs. Cable actuated disc brakes can be hit-and-miss. They really require good setup, compressionless cable housing and stretch-proof cables. I like my BB7's on my XC bike, and I have the TRP Spykes on my Steel Adventure Bike/Commuter. The TRP's have better feel, but the BB7's are no slouches. I have V-Brakes brakes on our 1993 Miyata DupliCross MTB Tandem which I converted into a touring bike. They stop us just fine and our team weight, plus bike, plus gear is well north of 400 lbs.

It's possible that the brake setups weren't very dialed. But 105 components are really very good.

My .02

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006565
Mobile Version of Website