160mm forks on 2018 giant trance 2 ?

PB Forum :: Giant
160mm forks on 2018 giant trance 2 ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 9:29 Quote
My giant trance comes stock with the 150mm fox rhythm forks I was wanting to upgrade to 160/170mm forks and bigger shock as well has anyone done this and does it mess with the handling due to the geometry of the bike ? Any input would be great thanks

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 10:53 Quote
for the money to do a fork and shock swap, id suggest seeing your dealer about trading in for a Reign. it will be a better end result imo.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 at 13:07 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
for the money to do a fork and shock swap, id suggest seeing your dealer about trading in for a Reign. it will be a better end result imo.

Thank you great input ???????? I’ll look into the reign

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 6:55 Quote
A ton of people at Giant USA use a 160 fork on the Trance. It makes the bike much more capable in my opinion. It changes the head angle by .5 degrees. I also have an upgraded rear coil shock with a 55mm stroke instead of the stock 52.5mm.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 7:37 Quote
Very common upgrade, a lot of people find the reign is too much bike and instead put a slightly bigger fork on a trance to create essentially a light enduro bike. Many people in the 27.5 Giant Trance thread upped their 140mm fork on the previous generation trance with a 150mm or 160mm fork.

I personally put a 150mm pike on my 2016 trance and it can handle pretty much anything other than super gnarly downhill tracks, which i don't ride often anyways, while still being a good climber. Adding 10mm or travel will also slacken the bike by half a degree.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 12:02 Quote
its it possible to build a reign lighter too. I have my enduro wheels and a lighter xc wheelset. depends where you ride and how much a gnar your in on a regular basis.

arrowheadrush wrote:
Very common upgrade, a lot of people find the reign is too much bike and instead put a slightly bigger fork on a trance to create essentially a light enduro bike. Many people in the 27.5 Giant Trance thread upped their 140mm fork on the previous generation trance with a 150mm or 160mm fork.

I personally put a 150mm pike on my 2016 trance and it can handle pretty much anything other than super gnarly downhill tracks, which i don't ride often anyways, while still being a good climber. Adding 10mm or travel will also slacken the bike by half a degree.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 14:09 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
its it possible to build a reign lighter too. I have my enduro wheels and a lighter xc wheelset. depends where you ride and how much a gnar your in on a regular basis.

arrowheadrush wrote:

for sure, both great bikes, i just found the reign too slack for how much climbing i do, but i wanted my trance to be a little more aggressive, so adding the bigger fork was a nice happy medium.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 13:34 Quote
Thanks guys great input.

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
OzarkBike wrote:
A ton of people at Giant USA use a 160 fork on the Trance. It makes the bike much more capable in my opinion. It changes the head angle by .5 degrees. I also have an upgraded rear coil shock with a 55mm stroke instead of the stock 52.5mm.

This 185mm x 55mm is the shock size that Norco uses for the Sight/Range. I noticed this shock size available in the buy and sell as take-offs from those bikes if you are able to find one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Super-Deluxe-Coil-RCT-Rear-Shock-185x55mm-Trunnion-2017-Norco/272653131680?epid=832009045&hash=item3f7b649fa0:g:7LgAAOSw42JZA5zW

I put a Super Deluxe on my 2017 Trance, replacing the Fox DPS and it's been a huge upgrade. The bike feels significantly more capable. If I rode bigger terrain on a more consistent basis, I would be going to 160 on the front.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 at 6:14 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
OzarkBike wrote:

This 185mm x 55mm is the shock size that Norco uses for the Sight/Range. I noticed this shock size available in the buy and sell as take-offs from those bikes if you are able to find one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Super-Deluxe-Coil-RCT-Rear-Shock-185x55mm-Trunnion-2017-Norco/272653131680?epid=832009045&hash=item3f7b649fa0:g:7LgAAOSw42JZA5zW

I put a Super Deluxe on my 2017 Trance, replacing the Fox DPS and it's been a huge upgrade. The bike feels significantly more capable. If I rode bigger terrain on a more consistent basis, I would be going to 160 on the front.
2015 Trance SX had 160mm fork, so no problem here. Before upgrading try some volume reducers for fork and shock, they may be enough for what you are looking for - i assume gnarlier terrain, bigger jump drops. Or maybe look at tuning options (Luftkappe etc.). Both options are usually much cheaper than upgrading fork+shock

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 16:13 Quote
I swapped the 34 Rhythm 150 on my ‘17 Trance 2 for a 2019 Fox 36 Elite 160 and also swapped rear shock for 55mm Factory DPX2. I was aiming for ‘enduro light’ and feel like my bike, after a bit of fine tuning on the new suspension parts (volume spacers etc), is a completely new beast. Still climbs great, but just so much more solid on aggressive, fast descents, better small bump compliance, and overall is a really functional mix of climb/rip. Highly recommend both of these simple mods - it’s not cheap, but you can find deals on very lightly used suspension parts (mine were both essentially new parts for fraction of retail new) to be had on take offs, and still cheaper than full on new bike.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 4:58 Quote
OzarkBike wrote:

What kind of coil shock exactly specs? Thx

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 5:10 Quote
I have a 2019 giant trance 2. Looking to get fox36 160mm fork and possibly A fox dpx2 185 x 55. I currently installed a Works Component angled headset 1.5 deg. Now my HA is 65.5. Bike feels extremely planted and stable, front end is stuck to the ground and picks up speed sooo much faster now!!! Harder to lift the front end than before when boosting or bunnyhopping. Now all that’s left is to figure out my suspension upgrades...Any thoughts or suggestions on the set up? Thanks.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
Grinder1976 wrote:
I have a 2019 giant trance 2. Looking to get fox36 160mm fork and possibly A fox dpx2 185 x 55. I currently installed a Works Component angled headset 1.5 deg. Now my HA is 65.5. Bike feels extremely planted and stable, front end is stuck to the ground and picks up speed sooo much faster now!!! Harder to lift the front end than before when boosting or bunnyhopping. Now all that’s left is to figure out my suspension upgrades...Any thoughts or suggestions on the set up? Thanks.

for current setup, open up rebound up front to get pop back. maybe a lower oil service is also in order, new forks are almost always low/empty, get it done then re access.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
I have the 2019 Trance 3 and put on a 160mm Fox Factory 36 that I already had and bought a Fox DPX2 for the rear. The bike went from good to over to over the top amazing. I use it on my local trails to the White a Mountains to Alagash Forest to Highland Bike Park. It handles it all with aplomb. Next upgrade will be the drivetrain (X01/XX1) and brakes (Hayes Dominion A4). I loved the frame but wasn't thrilled with either kit. Decided to go with the 3 since I'd be upgrading dang near everything on it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012735
Mobile Version of Website