Change to 29er?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Change to 29er?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 12:30 Quote
Grew up on 26, as most of us did, and went to 27.5 when I had to. I've really never had any interest in 29ers whatsoever...

That is until I rode a Yeti sb5.5 and loved it. Now I find myself considering buying a transition scout or a sentinel but can't convince myself that 29ers are worth it.

Is it the general consensus that 29ers make everything easier? To me, I avoided them because I always thought smaller wheels took more skill. The better rollover of the 29ers seem to take some of the rowdy out of it but I really can't deny how much fun I had riding one.

Looking at the Scout if I can't be convinced to go 29er.

Moved this from All Mtn/Enduro thread.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 10:32 Quote
29ers make stuff faster, eventully your going so fast it will get lively again. Wrestling that extra speed is extra fun to me. I don't really care for slow stuff.
I find 26 wheels act like a natural brake to much and can cap the speed even if you don't touch the brake on rough stuff aswell, 29ers just keep going faster forces me to think faster ect.

But you answered your own question. You enjoyed it so go do it. What else matters.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 19:41 Quote
When I was moving up from my ‘93 Trek Antelope 26 I asked my LBS if I should go 27 or 29. Their reply was 27 was not much different than 26 so if I wanted a new experience, go 29. So I got a GT Zaskar 29r and I became an avid MTBr...total game changer for me. I now have a 29r FS trail bike and got a spare 27+ wheelset to change things up whenever.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 7:28 Quote
I bought the Stumpy 29er (new model) last month, superb bike. Might be worth a look.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/13251/2018-men-s-stumpjumper-expert-29/

Been using it for longer distance rides but know guys who raced the Megavalanche on it this year and loved it

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 20:34 Quote
I literally just came back from a ride on my new bike, which is a 29er. I had been on 26 for the last however many years.

Wow. What a change. Took some getting used to, but after 30 min or so, I was flying. Up and down. It just rolls so much better.

I’d say go for it!

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
Edit - misread original post -

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 10:41 Quote
Go for the 29er, you had fun. I started on a 29er, rented a 27.5 while in Moab to try a longer travel bike, hated the climbing and rollover. My 2nd bike is now a long-travel 29er and love it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009067
Mobile Version of Website