Boost fork on a non boost frame?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Boost fork on a non boost frame?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 Quote
I've just bought some cheap Fox 34s, they were listed as 15x100 axle, but are infact boost 15x110. I was going to buy a new wheel anyway, as my existing fork takes a 9mm QR. But does mixing Boost and non boost on a bike work?

Do I need to factor anything in like wheel width? Or tyre width?

I could possibly swap for a 2016 Fox 32, which is 15x100, but I'm guessing the 2017 Fox 34 with boost is still a better bet. What do you think?

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 5:21 Quote
You will need a boost specific hub or wheel, or you can get a 15×100 hub and a boostinator adaptor.
That's it!

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 5:26 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
You will need a boost specific hub or wheel, or you can get a 15×100 hub and a boostinator adaptor.
That's it!

Thanks. A new wheel is on the cards anyway (or at least reusing from another boost bike), so I can just make sure to buy the correct one. I was more concerned about having a wider front wheel than rear wheel.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 5:49 Quote
Ahh no worries, there are several bikes outhere with boost rear non boost front and like you, the other way round.
Has nothin to do with wheel width, but more with industry trying to piss us off with multiple standards for no reason...

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 17:25 Quote
Exact same thing I did. Have a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010 (non-boost) and got a screaming deal on a 2017 Pike RC (boost). I was luckier though, I already had a 15x100 front wheel. Picked up a set of Problem Solvers Boost Adaptor from Jenson. No issues so far and loving the extra travel on the Pike (went from a 130mm Sektor Gold RL).

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 3:15 Quote
Thanks guys! I can’t wait to get it fitted - going from a cheap Suntour fork to a Fox 34 is going to be a big step and it is an excuse to upgrade the front wheel on my main bike.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
I saw this thread after swapping forks between my '16 and '18 Transition Scouts, '18 being boost.
First I'll say...boost is stupid.
OK, but I now have the Boost fork on the old frame(no boosty), and the old fork on the new Boost frame.
On a quick spin the Boost bike feels "odd" now, like the front wheel wants to tip over. The other bike feels even more fun and alive.
I should also state I love my old Scout and the new one is kind of lame in comparison(new geo).
Either way, my thought is because the Boost frame is wider in the rear the more narrow fork creates kind of a pivot point, and the non-boost frame has the narrower back end compared with the wider Boost fork giving more stability up front.
This is my theory anyway.
My plan is to keep the Boost fork on the old frame and get the spacers for the wheel, and maybe buy another Boost fork for the '18 bike(unless someone buys the frame).

Has anyone done a test like this?
Bikes used to be so much easier to set up and ride...so many frikkin' options now, it gets frustrating.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
The difference between the two forks is the offset! Not boost or non boost. Transition went to their sbg geometry in 2018 I think, this includes a shorter offset fork, the change was 9-14mm in wheel position to work with the slacker head angle.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
joelsman wrote:
The difference between the two forks is the offset! Not boost or non boost. Transition went to their sbg geometry in 2018 I think, this includes a shorter offset fork, the change was 9-14mm in wheel position to work with the slacker head angle.
Yep. I replaced the 37mm offset Fox 36 with a 44 offset Marz Z1....vastly improved the lagging steering in my opinion...especially compared to my older Scout. I've brought this up elsewhere and was met with much doubt that the offset makes such a big difference...proof is in the pudding!
The more I thought about my theory of the Boost fork on a non boost frame I realized it didn't make any sense. But, the Z1 on the old Scout feels great so I'm keeping it with some adapters for the wheel.
I'm also considering putting a 160 travel fork on the 18 Scout and see if I can get the geo to feel better. I feel too pushed forward with the new seat tube angle

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008781
Mobile Version of Website