Which One? Road bike dilemma

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Which One? Road bike dilemma
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 23:12 Quote
Any input would be appreciated! Cycle to work scheme, don’t want to ‘top up’ my £1000 limit too much but would like a road bike that will last now for a few years and be the fastest damn commuter!
Boardman Pro Carbon road bike for 1200 or Giant Defy Advanced Pro 3 2016 model 1300?

I’m limited by companies that accept my cycle to work scheme Workplace Bikes. Also definitely want disc brakes! I have a touring bike already so don’t want a hefty adventure bike.

Thank you for any help!
Ben

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
dmrbros wrote:
Any input would be appreciated! Cycle to work scheme, don’t want to ‘top up’ my £1000 limit too much but would like a road bike that will last now for a few years and be the fastest damn commuter!
Boardman Pro Carbon road bike for 1200 or Giant Defy Advanced Pro 3 2016 model 1300?

I’m limited by companies that accept my cycle to work scheme Workplace Bikes. Also definitely want disc brakes! I have a touring bike already so don’t want a hefty adventure bike.

Thank you for any help!
Ben

The Datum is highly rated and the comfort you like is something you might not replicate on a model with different geometry. IMVHO even if you buy a 7 or 8kg bike it might initially feel nicer but won't transform your riding experience but will make a huge dent in your wallet.
Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 0:41 Quote
As a commuter, i’d say anything you can fit 28mm tyres on as the roads are generally a mess

As for ‘fastest damn’, at that price point you will always be a bit limited

Stiff carbon frame won’t make a pleasant commuter! I have 2 trek crocketts - one is a 2019 force 1x full on cross bike, the other is a 2017 with 1500g wheelset, weighs in about 8.7kg and is spot on for commuting and all round road duties. The older crockett also has tabs for full fit guards, which is ideal for this time of year

The slightly more lax geo of a cross bike is super nice on the road, i’ve got it setup pretty aggressive and it’s a perfect all rounder

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 3:24 Quote
dmrbros wrote:

Thank you for any help!
Ben
Buy used steel road bike for £500 and invest the rest into MTB. For expert advice visit roadie forums Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004457
Mobile Version of Website