The Tire Thread

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
Ok, so this is to debate merits of different tires, whether that be model, width, or aggressiveness... It's also for people to ask for advice on what tire to get, and if you want to turn this into a swap thing as well, fine. Basically, everything TIRES, as the title suggests. I'll start this off:
I'm coming from 2.2" Continental Race Kings on my hardtail, iirc. I'm looking at getting a beefy full-suspension (current choice 2017 Diamondback Mission 1), options of either the stock 2.3" WTB Vigilante Comps, or 2.25" Continental Trail Kings. Any advice? Personal experience a plus. Smile

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 10:18 Quote
Edit: Apparently the Vigilante is the Comp, while the Trail King is the higher-end ProTection Apex with reinforcing (4-ply 240 TPI with ProTection layer on top under tread, 3-ply 180 TPI with Apex layer in the sidewalls, Black Chili compound). I can't find technical details on the Vigilante Comp, if there are any available. I've heard good things about the Vigilante, but since I can pick either, and the Trail King was an upgrade, I'd assume the Trail King is better? If the Vigilante weren't the entry-level Comp, and had reinforcement/different compound, then what?

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 19:02 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Ok, so this is to debate merits of different tires, whether that be model, width, or aggressiveness... It's also for people to ask for advice on what tire to get, and if you want to turn this into a swap thing as well, fine. Basically, everything TIRES, as the title suggests. I'll start this off:
I'm coming from 2.2" Continental Race Kings on my hardtail, iirc. I'm looking at getting a beefy full-suspension (current choice 2017 Diamondback Mission 1), options of either the stock 2.3" WTB Vigilante Comps, or 2.25" Continental Trail Kings. Any advice? Personal experience a plus. Smile

On my trail bike I run a 2.35 snakeskin magic Mary in the front and a 2.3 double down aggressor in the rear. I also run huck Norris in the rear. I weigh around 130 lbs, and ride aggressively. I race enduro on these tries and they are great! Minion dhf works great for the front as well, and I think the aggressor is one of the best trail/enduro tires.

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 14:03 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
Huge tyre thread here as well....Big Grin

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=124260&pagenum=262
Ahh... Thanks! I had glanced around, but I didn't really see a thread like that. I couldn't believe that there wasn't already one on here... Thanks. Razz

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 16:14 Quote
For steep terrain maxxis minions dhf front, dhr2 rear, or if it's hard pack minion ss rear, or the aggressor

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 13:46 Quote
I'm a big fan of the E13 TRSr front TRS+ rear. Not the fastest rolling but a ton of grip and nice sidewall protection. Basically they are in between an EXO and DD casing. For my local Shore, Squamish, and Whistler trails they are amazing

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
Ive just set mine up with a Continental trailking/crossking. (got them on discount, Trailking in front btw) Havent got the chance of ridin them tho.
But i will very soon. Will update when im able to make an educated opinion about their performance.

Cool tread actually. How about a discussion on what tyre touse when/where? Could help other make a choice perhaps.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012228
Mobile Version of Website