Swinley

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 5:25 Quote
Went to ride swinley yesterday. Won't be going back again, ever. It's been ruined. The best bit with 4 or 5 really good dh sections has been bulldozed. The stuff on the right of the same hill is still there, for now.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 4:11 Quote
Bracknell is very beautiful

Posted: Jul 17, 2018 at 4:33 Quote
Surrey hills, around peaslake. There's no real marked routes up there so you'd need a guide or a few afternoons with a gps to find the good stuff. Worth it though.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 23:57 Quote
The trails could absolutely do with some tlc

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 0:33 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Surrey hills, around peaslake. There's no real marked routes up there so you'd need a guide or a few afternoons with a gps to find the good stuff. Worth it though.

I would absolutely second this. Swinley has been getting nerfed for years. There's still some good stuff nestled away, but nothing worth driving for more than an hour for. Peaslake has something for everyone and there are always plenty of friendly riders who will show you where the good stuff is - Leith Hill is a good starting point.

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 8:00 Quote
Apparently some of the land owners are worried about being sued by dickheads who've crashed on the illegitimate jumps built on the illegitimate trails going through their land. It's happened somewhere in the south recently and has lead to some very well established trails being demolished.

I heard that was one reason the jump gulley at swinley was flattened.

When you get to the surrey hills, have a good look at anything you get to that looks tricky before you ride it. It's all built really well and will probably work if you've ridden the trail well, but there's some quite scary stuff up there so it's worth a look first. Then don't take any legal action if you crash!

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 7:21 Quote
fielonator wrote:
It's happened somewhere in the south recently and has lead to some very well established trails being demolished.

This was Surrey Hills you're thinking of. Fly Tipper, Area 51, and Evian to name a few were all dozed because of issues with landowners. There's still plenty there though.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 7:36 Quote
Makes me wonder what’s the definition of “issues with the landowners”?

One can only assume that perhaps a kid came off tgeir bike and is trying to take the piss by taking legal action...???

Spoils ot for the rest of us but I’m only giving pne theoretical example of what the problem may be.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 8:06 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Makes me wonder what’s the definition of “issues with the landowners”?

From what I'm told, it's basically owners not happy that people are having fun on their land, but they often use "logging" as an excuse. Now shout "Ger orf moy laaaaarnd" as loud as you can. Smile

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
Yes ok that would explain stereotypical approach to us lot roaming the countryside.

Shame as I have experienced this in the obnoxious twatty Cotswolds.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 1:04 Quote
Swinley is not perfect. But the whole area has plenty to explore and it's not far from Box Hill & Leith Hill for a good days riding.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010995
Mobile Version of Website