17 patrol suspension setup

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
17 patrol suspension setup
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 21:43 Quote
Im having some trouble dialing in my shock. Set sag between 30-35% played with a few different pressures but I feel like it bobs when pedaling
And im not getting the firm "lock out" feel in closed like I have read. What pressures are you guys running in the rear and tokens? I weigh about 185 geared. I added a 3rd token but still feel it's not very progressive. Im also having trouble with the front. It feels really soft on top but I had 3/4"-1" unused travel after a couple pretty rough black runs. I dropped the pressure about 10-15 psi and it helped get to just under full travel but I feel that will make it even more spongy on top. Any suggestions?

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 at 9:44 Quote
Having three tokens will make it extremely difficult to use the last bit of travel. I would recommend removing one or two of the tokens and running less sag. 25-30 seems to work well for me. This should make your travel more accessible but feel a little firmer.
Then watch some videos on how to set rebound properly

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 7:16 Quote
I don't have any suggestions on setup yet as I'm kind of in the same boat as the 2017 Transition Patrol rear suspension set up. I have noticed the following:

- The climb mode on the Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3 shock feels very firm (but not locked out) when seated climbing but then bobs quite badly when I stand up and mash the pedals. I'm guessing since I'm a higher weight than average, I'm opening up the bypass port or preloaded shim stack that is active in climb mode.

- On rough trails with constant small and medium sized bumps, the shock (in open mode) feels harsh and like it's "hanging up" and not getting out of the way of stuff it should be. In conditions like this I feel like I'm loosing traction because the rear tire is just skipping all over the place.

- The shock tune / rear suspension seems to be designed for fast and smooth flow and jump trails where it really shines.

My current set up detail (which I'm still working on are):
- 2017 Patrol Carbon (Large) with Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3
- Riding weight: 235 lbs
- 163 psi (around 35% sag), 2.5 tokens (actual one of the new "gnar dog" tokens which is equivalent to 2.5 regular)
- Rebound in the middle (roughly 5 clicks from full closed or open).

I'd be interested to hear other peoples setups.

Also, does anyone else make a 230 x 65 metric shock with the bearing on the one end like the 2017 Rockshox Super Deluxe on this bike? Are there other replacement options without changing to the 2016 shock link?

Has anyone had Vorsprungs "Tractive" tuning done or sent their shock to Push for a re-tune and what did you think of the results?

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 7:56 Quote
That seems like way too little air for your riding weight. Did you cycle the shock when filling it up? Need to make sure it gets air to the negative side. I am not quite your size but can't imagine a situation where I am running less than 200. This sort of goes against what you are saying is the problem so maybe the dimple that balances your shock has some grease in it and it is not running perfectly.

My quick guess would be 3 or 4.5 tokens for a super deluxe on a Patrol at your size.

Tire pressure will also play a big role in the skipping. Try running a bit less.

Lastly, custom valving makes a big difference especially when you are at either end of the weight range. It can range from a nice improvement to I can't believe how good my bike feels. Since you bring up Vorsprung, Steve would be an awesome choice to get that sorted.

You should able to get a DPX2 but really custom tuning should make a bigger difference.

Xorrox wrote:
I don't have any suggestions on setup yet as I'm kind of in the same boat as the 2017 Transition Patrol rear suspension set up. I have noticed the following:

- The climb mode on the Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3 shock feels very firm (but not locked out) when seated climbing but then bobs quite badly when I stand up and mash the pedals. I'm guessing since I'm a higher weight than average, I'm opening up the bypass port or preloaded shim stack that is active in climb mode.

- On rough trails with constant small and medium sized bumps, the shock (in open mode) feels harsh and like it's "hanging up" and not getting out of the way of stuff it should be. In conditions like this I feel like I'm loosing traction because the rear tire is just skipping all over the place.

- The shock tune / rear suspension seems to be designed for fast and smooth flow and jump trails where it really shines.

My current set up detail (which I'm still working on are):
- 2017 Patrol Carbon (Large) with Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3
- Riding weight: 235 lbs
- 163 psi (around 35% sag), 2.5 tokens (actual one of the new "gnar dog" tokens which is equivalent to 2.5 regular)
- Rebound in the middle (roughly 5 clicks from full closed or open).

I'd be interested to hear other peoples setups.

Also, does anyone else make a 230 x 65 metric shock with the bearing on the one end like the 2017 Rockshox Super Deluxe on this bike? Are there other replacement options without changing to the 2016 shock link?

Has anyone had Vorsprungs "Tractive" tuning done or sent their shock to Push for a re-tune and what did you think of the results?

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 20:03 Quote
I thought about sending my shock into dirtlabs for a custom tune. They made my fox float x much better than it was on my old covert. I would like to eventually put on a DPX2 but I cant drop that much on a shock right now. I think the super deluxe has the potential to be much better than it is but needs a little expert tuning beyond my capabilities.

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 21:40 Quote
@JonRides: Thanks for the reply! I wonder if you are riding a 2016 or earlier Patrol? If so, that would account for the difference in shock pressure as the 2017 has a different shock size and leverage ratio.

I did start at around 175 psi and gradually lowered it to where I am at because it does feel better. However, I think I've gone as low as I can go, although I do intend to add one more token (3.5 total) and see where this leads.

JonRides wrote:
That seems like way too little air for your riding weight. Did you cycle the shock when filling it up? Need to make sure it gets air to the negative side. I am not quite your size but can't imagine a situation where I am running less than 200. This sort of goes against what you are saying is the problem so maybe the dimple that balances your shock has some grease in it and it is not running perfectly.

My quick guess would be 3 or 4.5 tokens for a super deluxe on a Patrol at your size.

Tire pressure will also play a big role in the skipping. Try running a bit less.

Lastly, custom valving makes a big difference especially when you are at either end of the weight range. It can range from a nice improvement to I can't believe how good my bike feels. Since you bring up Vorsprung, Steve would be an awesome choice to get that sorted.

You should able to get a DPX2 but really custom tuning should make a bigger difference.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 20:47 Quote
Does anyone else make a 230 x 65 metric shock with the bearing on the one end like the 2017 Rockshox Super Deluxe on this bike?

Are there other replacement options without changing to the 2016 shock link?

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:25 Quote
I don't get along well with my Patrol unless I have more than lik 32-33% sag, and Im always shooting for 35%. I just don't feel like the bike corners as well with less than 30%.

I have a float X on mine, 175psi with the .6 volume spacer and a slopping of grease, I was shootin for like .7. I bottom out if I screw up a jump or drop. also weigh like 170-180#

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
He also has a good video describing the volume spacers. Basically watch all of the videos but this one should help with what you're asking. If you are looking at modifying the suspension look at avalanche too.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 20:07 Quote
For anyone who is interested, I've completely changed up the shock set up on my 2017 Transition Patrol (This is the 'one off' model year with the 230x65 metric Rockshox Super Deluxe with the upper bearing mount) and it's made a huge improvement. Here is what I currently have:
- 187 psi (30% sag)
- 1 volume token (stock was 2)
- Rebound 3 clicks from full open/fast, 7 from full slow/closed. (It is this setting changed that made the biggest difference). With rebound set in the middle the shock was packing up over high speed chatter and feeling very harsh as a result.
- (For reference, my riding weight is around 230 lbs)

Thanks to Steve from Vorsprung for some of these tuning suggestions. I'm going to be sending the shock in for his tractive tuning the next time I have a week away from the bike. We'll see how that changes things further.

Posted: Sep 21, 2018 at 21:04 Quote
Hey guys, in my personal experience with the 2017 patrol ive found that the suspension design uses a healthy amount of the top of the stroke. I went back and forth with the super deluxe more reducers less reducers, and what i have settled on is 30% to 31% sag and 1 reducer and 6 to 7 clicks of rebound and enough pressure to get your sag. I'm 170 lbs and i use anywhere from 152 to 160 lbs pressure. I think the top 2/3rds of the suspension stroke needs more support than the bottom out, this will prevent the harshness or packing that i orginally felt as well. I am switching to a dpx 2 for some low speed adjustments and better mid stroke support. I will let you know how it turns out.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
Xorrox wrote:
Does anyone else make a 230 x 65 metric shock with the bearing on the one end like the 2017 Rockshox Super Deluxe on this bike?

Are there other replacement options without changing to the 2016 shock link?

Fox offers the X2, DPX2 & DHX in that configuration and the new Cane Creek Kitsuma in both coil (with their new white colored vault progressive spring) and air. Those are the only ones I know for sure, but I'm sure there's more

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017621
Mobile Version of Website