Hyperextended finger pain?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Hyperextended finger pain?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 5:45 Quote
Not sure how to clearly word it so I'm hoping you all get what I'm asking about.

Another injury from my epic crash was nearly dislocating my thumb on my non-dominant hand. Not positive, but I think my thumb got smashed and hyperextended down into the palm of my hand. My thumb is swollen compared to my other thumb and it does a limited range of movement without crunching but is not broken, just swollen and hurts like a SOB. I can't hold anything with much weight because I can't tighten my fist, it's basically useless as the opposable digit function it's supposed to have. A glass of water is fine to try holding something like an 8lb pork shoulder with that one hand is a no go.

What screws me is my dominant side is restricted to no weight due to the collar bone surgery for another couple months.

I've had an finger injury just like this a couple years ago from an OTB event. Same pain and symptoms, painful as all hell to make a fist with that finger for nearly a year. Towards the last half of that year it got better with some weeks just being worse than others until it finally got better. Icing helps but it sure doesn't last very long.

I believe all MTBRs experience this same exact injury and length of painful complications at one time or another so here's my question: Has anyone figured out a way to improve or speed up recovery for this injury? Does icing multiple times a day for a couple months eventually shorten the affects of this injury enough to tolerate? Or have you all just suffered the extended length of time these take to quit hurting?

Thanks,
Andy

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007978
Mobile Version of Website