Whyte T129s rear tyre clearance

PB Forum :: 29ers
Whyte T129s rear tyre clearance
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
Hello everybody.
I'm new to the forum and im looking for some help from someone who has or has had a Whyte T129s and knows a bit about them or someone very knowledgeable on Schwalbe tyres in the addix range.

I am in the process of custom building a 2014 frame and to be blunt im struggling with rear tyre clearance.

So to be specific about my build and me and give a bit of background and context.
I'm not the kind of guy that has £2500 to go and drop on a new bike. I'm the kind of guy that would probably upgrade half a new bike in the first 6 months even if I did though. I am a qualified construction equipment technician though so I am very handy with the tools and I get as much enjoyment out of working on bikes as I do riding them So this is why im building and not buying. Also ive never had a bike at this kind of level so ive been doing a lot of learning as I have been collecting the parts.

I picked up a really decent frame which is the grey and aqua 2014 model of the T129s. First thing I did look on the Whyte website at the original specs and parts it came with. Im lucky the frame pivots and bearings are all really good on mine and after doing all this a started shopping for parts to suit what I want from the bike.
What I decided was that I would build it at least to the original spec but anywhere I could id go at least one step better.

It came with rockshox reba 120mm ive bought 130mm revelations
it came with sram 2x10 and im going to put SLX 1x11 on it
Avid brakes original, SLX ive ordered.
160 rear 180 front standard. 180mm all round.
WTB skinny rims as standard. ive got the nukeproof 29mm wide ones.
70mm stem and 760 bars standard. 50mm and 780 I have got.
Rockshox reverb it came with and ive got the brand x one.

I see everything im doing or have done as a slight upgrade and it is still very much a work in progress as I still haven't ordered the drive train so I wont build it until everything is here in my hands BUT I test fit everything I buy when it lands just to be sure of a proper fit for the final assembly.

This leads me to needing some help with someone who has first hand experience with these bikes and or Schwalbe tyres.

The original spec for the bike shows WTB rims I believe 19mm wide and WTB 2.25 tyres but as said I have the nukeproof 29mm wide rims and having looked at the rear triangle I decided I would buy only the front tyre so I could check clearance before buying the rear one.

I want to run Schwalbe Magic Mary up front 2.35 and I want to run Hans Dampf 2.35 on the rear.
So my front MM arrived today. I set it up on the rear wheel to check clearance. 30psi. It rubs the rear chain side lower chainstay on the very outer knobble of the tyre but is clear everywhere else.

So what I need to know is will a 2.35 hans Dampf fit with it being more rounded or will I need to drop to 2.25 which I really don't want to do.
I do not want to drop £40 on a tyre I cant fit so I need solid advice on this from peoples first hand experiences and or pics or a hans dampf stood next to a Magic Mary so I can see the difference in profile.

Any help on this would be a big help for me as im literally a rear tyre and a groupset away from having all the parts I need to build it up and I need to get it dead right first time.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 22:30 Quote
Check if your wheel needs dishing, tje rim may not be centred on the chainstays. From whyte a brand that comes from a place with an all season muddy trails it's a shame if they didn't give room for mud!
Imo, a pike up front would be considered a serius upgrade!
Good luck with your build!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.082923
Mobile Version of Website