Upgrade advice for Giant Talon 4 Hardtail

PB Forum :: Giant
Upgrade advice for Giant Talon 4 Hardtail
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 14:35 Quote
Hey guys, bought my bike back in 2016 and i've ridden it a fair bit at this point. I'm starting to think about what my upgrade paths are, specifically regarding drivetrain and forks.

The terrain i ride is hilly, with some technical sections (roots etc) with some singletrack and whatnot. So essentially its kind of a mix with the exception of a lack of really downhill specific runs. I also ride a fair bit on pavement as i use it to get around as well so i'd put myself in the XC/Trail category.

As you can see, i purchased one of the lower spec Talons so it came stock with pretty bad parts for the most part. Based on how i've been riding my current drivetrain(shimano acera 3xCool i've noticed I have a tendency to use only the middle chainring in front (34T). My thoughts here are that i would be best served by upgrading to a 1x setup and based on what ive seen so far SRAM's Eagle is the way to go there. I feel like it would fit my riding style the best while still massively improving my current gear range.

Now obviously taking into account the sticker price my bike was, I feel like it'd be overkill to put and X01 or XX1 eagle drivetrain on it, not to mention that groupset falls way outside my price range. But SRAM seems to have heard my prayers as the Eagle groupset not only comes in the GX trim level, but in NX now as well. I'm confident that this is the right choice because as I understand the NX drivetrain will be compatible with the shimano freehub my bike already has on it. I will be changing the whole groupset but the unknown here is whether or not I can get the right bottom bracket for my bike that will allow me to fit the NX crank on.

As for forks, this is where i'm really kind of lost. My front wheel has the pretty standard 9mmQR on it as most budget bikes do. In addition to this, my bike doesn't have a tapered headtube, it uses the straight 1-1/8 steerer.

I know my bike has SR suntour XCT 100mm travel forks on it now, and i'm also aware that it'd be pretty damn hard to downgrade from there. I really like the look of Fox shocks (dat Kashima coat doe) but i know they don't sell factory level forks with a 9mmQR axle. I've heard of the Cane Creek 44/40 and how that might be able to allow me to use tapered steerer forks on my bike.

So my questions for forks is this: Would I be better served buying a fork that will better fit the original spec of my bike (I.e 9mmQR and 1-1/8 steer) or should i get the 44/40 adapter to run a tapered fork and just upgrade my front wheel to like a 15mm axle so I can get a broader range of fork upgrade options? I'm not looking for anything too crazy fork-wise, the main thing here is that it performs better than my stock fork.

I do apologize for the length of my post, but i've tried to provide as much info as possible so as to get the most concise answers as to what I should do. Any and all insight will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
Hi, i hava a 2016 Talon 3 that came with a 3X9 Shimano Alivio-Altus groupset. Recently i made two upgrades.
The first a SRAM NX 1*11 Shifter/Derailer/CassettePG1130, using mi existing stock FSA crankset i was able to put a 34T FSA Megatooth chainring. As a whole this upgrade cost 250 USD. The bike worked great but something to have in mind is although the existing rear body is compatible with the cassette its not ideal. So i upgraded the body for a sealed Bitext freehub 11s body.
The bike works as or better than a Scott Scale 2018 which includes this same Sram NX Setup, very happy with the upgrade.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 14:56 Quote
As for the Fork, its always better to use a fork that fits the original spec as the frame its designed with that spec in mind

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 8:14 Quote
to be honest, i would sell the bike and buy something with a better build spec. My GF has the same bike so i know it pretty well. The upgrades you're looking at doing: Fork (~$600) drivetrain (~$400) plus what ever you can get for the bike will already buy you a much better specced bike. Plus you'll probably want to upgrade other parts in the future, i just don't think that frame is worth it, its quite heavy as its a lower grade aluminum. id look into one of the Giant Fathom models , they've got better geometry and much better frame, they all come with dropper posts now too.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 at 6:10 Quote
You sell it, upgrades will be too expensive to get quality suspension and drivertrain.
If you want to stay on hardtail, Fanthom is the path, otherwise Anthem will be the right answer, already with Maestro suspension. And don't look at Stance, its full susp. just to fill the cheap part of full susp. market, not worth it IMO.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015504
Mobile Version of Website