Long term Rider Review

PB Forum :: Spank Industries
Long term Rider Review
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 16:22 Quote
Spank Oozy Trail 295 review. 650B

Hey fellow PinkBike readers. I got the Spank Industries started in the Forums under Industry because, I could not find any well written reviews on their wheelsets. Well, after 2+ years on a set, I can finally give a long term review. Hopefully this will help out any other fellow rider looking for information.

Before I go into this review, I think I should give you some background about me. I raced BMX for years back in the late 90's until the early 2000's. Now, I'm a brand ambassador for many companies. I been on a lot of wheelsets to include a set of Enve M90's that I just cracked.... Here are some damage pics before I get into the review.

M90's... Just to show that I am unbiased, here is a M90' that I just wrecked this pasted weekend. (June2018.)
One hard hit cut my tire broke my rear mech and cracked my enve in two places.....

Race 28's
Even some of the best rims can t take a super hard hit on a squared off rock. Definitely a wrong line choice.
One rock at 31-32 psi Look close at the bead bite logo under the air value.

Ok, now time for the review.

Here they are new. The first day out of the box and haven't even had the chance to get mounted. I posted this pic back in April of 2016. I average about 50 miles recorded and a few rides unrecorded each month. These wheels are mounted to a 2015 Enduro Expert Carbon 650B.
Thanks to the guys envelo SRSuntour schwalbe and DVOSuspension the Enduro is all set. I think the folks trpcycling and boxcomponents have a thing or two in mind amp . 2018 here I come.

I've been on all kinds of rides with this wheelset. XC style (yuck) trail rides, Enduro Races, DH races and just days shredding laps at the parks. They been through all kinds of weather too, mud, dry, hot and below freezing. I have never had to do any maintenance to this wheelset since I've own them! I had spoke tension check just this weekend and it's still in spec. I took out the bearings and other than a bit of dirt, they were in great shape still. Only need to add a bit of grease. There is one dent that I got during my low pressure testing.

Spank and abuse

Even with that dent in the rear wheel, nothing was affected and yes, I'm running tubeless. He!!, that's the stock tire, That's how new they were when the dent happened.

The hub bearings have proved themselves to stand the test of miles, weather and time. The spokes, still tight and fall in spec. Freehub, looks near new. The hub engagement is a bit less than I'd really like to have but it's really not that bad. And I don't want that to sound like a bad thing. No, It's not a Chris King Hub but it's damn good.

Flex. These are not the stiffest rims around but they also do not feel like a paper clip. With how stiff frames have gotten, a bit of flex in the wheels is not a bad thing. I've ridden this bike with M90's and I missed the amount of compliance the Oozy's gave the bike.

I can't stress about how many laps these wheels have had at the resorts. You can check my videos to see how I ride and you'll see that I'm not sticking to Blues's.

After over 2 years of hard riding on this wheelset, I have to say.....this will be my next wheelset for my 180 and below travel bike.

Past pic
Thanks to SR Suntour for their support great time and a spot for me to stage my rigs. Thanks SRSuntour
Past pic

Just today
3 years on one wheelset and zero true ing no new bearings straight just a few dents

3 years on one wheelset and zero true ing no new bearings straight just a few dents

Overall, they are light weight, very low maintenance and strong.

Post thoughts, I went on a long ride today and I'm going on another long ride tomorrow. I may have to check a few tire pressures and tread wear but at least I wont have to check on my wheels. I know they will be fine. I hope this helps some body out.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 18:34 Quote
That is an awesome report and constructive feedback on a brand we don't often hear of here in UK as many just stick to Hope or Mavic here.

I can't wait to get my 29er 295s fitted once I get the titanium beast built up. They're certainly gonna look the dogs ...

I like how they're set up tubeless out of factory as I'm relatively new to tubeless and it truly is a revelation to see when a puncture like a thorn seals up near instantly with minimal loss of air.

It sure is good to read of the abuse and care you have given them and that they are staying true.
The guys at Spank seem sorted on support side for my boost query.
It also puts my mind at rest that these will hold up as I'm a big bloke and having purchased a new set of these except not from a shop, that I can rest easy in the knowledge that I'll be good and that I'll be rollin... Moon

Cheers Beer

Posted: Jun 20, 2018 at 15:00 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
That is an awesome report and constructive feedback on a brand we don't often hear of here in UK as many just stick to Hope or Mavic here.

I can't wait to get my 29er 295s fitted once I get the titanium beast built up. They're certainly gonna look the dogs ...

I like how they're set up tubeless out of factory as I'm relatively new to tubeless and it truly is a revelation to see when a puncture like a thorn seals up near instantly with minimal loss of air.

It sure is good to read of the abuse and care you have given them and that they are staying true.
The guys at Spank seem sorted on support side for my boost query.
It also puts my mind at rest that these will hold up as I'm a big bloke and having purchased a new set of these except not from a shop, that I can rest easy in the knowledge that I'll be good and that I'll be rollin... Moon

Cheers Beer

That is something that I had forgot about, tubeless. The older stock was tubeless compactable even though they were label as tubeless ready. Same as any other brand. However, the newer stock does come taped and valued, so tubeless ready really means tubeless ready.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030502
Mobile Version of Website