Want to build a little 24” for my 6 year old

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Want to build a little 24” for my 6 year old
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
where can I find parts for a kids 24” build in the U.K.? I had a quick look on crc but nothing but complete bikes?

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 12:35 Quote
redeye666 wrote:
where can I find parts for a kids 24” build in the U.K.? I had a quick look on crc but nothing but complete bikes?

What exactly are u looking for? everything? or do you already have some parts.

If you dont have a bunch of parts laying around all ready, It is almost always cheaper to buy a complete bike.

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
redeye666 wrote:

What exactly are u looking for? everything? or do you already have some parts.

If you dont have a bunch of parts laying around all ready, It is almost always cheaper to buy a complete bike.
im looking for everything, tbh I’d rather spend £400 on parts and build with my son than spend £400 on a complete.
Also £200ish (a price I’m happy to pay for a kids bike) bikes weigh more than my no name dj build around £300 they start getting lighter

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 14:34 Quote
I think you would be hard pressed to buy a wheelset and a fork for that price. let alone a complete drivetrain and frame. but it depends if you are considering used products.

Kids bike bike stuff that is in the performance category (light) isn't much cheaper than adult stuff. Spank Spoon 28's wheel sets come in 24", for about 350$CDN and are super easy to source.

for forks, 26" fork options abound, I have had success lowering forks for kids bikes, or running older shorter travel forks. Companies that sell performance kids bikes (like Spawn) use new 26" xc forks that are lowered. ( an X fusion Velvet is at least 700CDN, and then you would have to lower it)

so...Just the wheel set and fork is almost 600 GBP

As for frames, I am not sure what kind of frames are available. Older bikes in the XS size are pretty small, but I dont think they would fit a 6 y/o...

As for a complete bike... Spawn Cycles 24" hardtail retails for about 1,000 GBP.. but again, its a performance bike.

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 14:41 Quote
Its important to consider that a high end kids bike will hold its value, so even at 1000 GBP new, you will easily be able to sell it for 6-800 GBP (depending how abused /used it is) so in the end you are still in the 200-400 price bracket, but your kid actually gets a high quality bike.

Where as a 200 department store bike will likely get binned after the kid grows out of it (because it wont hold up or wont be worth fixing)

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 15:52 Quote
I don’t mind used parts. I already have forks, rear mech and shifter possibly crank and pedals, but no frame.

Might be better to build a 26” when he’s 9, buy a used off eBay.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
How big is your 6 year old? 24" would generally be too big for a 6 year old (feet won't touch when they stop, no matter how low the seat is), not to mention how heavy and unwieldy it will be.

My 7.5 year olds are on 20" bikes. One of them (he's a big kid) started on it last year (when it just fit) and he might be ready for a 24" next summer when he's 8.5... we'll see. My other 7.5 year old is a bit on the small side, was just big enough this spring to start riding his 20" and even with his seat all the way down, he is on his tippy toes when stopped (actually I just raised his seat 0.5 cm last weekend, still on tippy toes. They have this bike. A big part of making sure a kid enjoys riding and actually want to ride is making sure the bike fits well, is light (aluminum framed) and works well.

Video of Callum (bigger kid)

Video of Ronan

These videos were from April 1st of this year, so they were both 7 years and 3 months old.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 6:52 Quote
20” might be a better option, how many years left till your boys have outgrown the 20”.

I need to get him a bike quick he’s struggling a 10”

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 12:57 Quote
redeye666 wrote:
20” might be a better option, how many years left till your boys have outgrown the 20”.

I need to get him a bike quick he’s struggling a 10”

Oh ya, 10" is probably too small by now. My larger 7 year old will probably move to a 24" for next spring. My smaller 7 year old, struggles with physical sports, he has DCD, which just means he takes quite a bit longer to learn and get the hang of things, plus he's little. Before I put him on the 20", I picked up a used 16" off craigslist for cheap that he used for the early spring. Used it as a transition to his 20" bike. He'll still be on his 20" next year for sure. He still kinda just fits his 20" (seat is almost all the way down and the seat is moved forward on the rails).

So in saying all that... it depends... depends how good they get, how quickly they progress and most importantly... how quickly they grow. But ya, you probably need to get him off that 10"! Just head into a bike shop or and let him sit on some 16"'s and 20"s and see how they fit... should give you a pretty good idea.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 1:24 Quote
He’s actually 8 in November he’s round a 6 year old in size. Tbh I don’t want the trouble of buying stopgap bikes until he fits a 26”.

Went second hand bike shop saw some bikes for £35 and £80. 35 was too heavy and the 80 both I wouldn’t ride.

Looking like I have to bite the bullet and get him a 20”

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
redeye666 wrote:
He’s actually 8 in November he’s round a 6 year old in size. Tbh I don’t want the trouble of buying stopgap bikes until he fits a 26”.

Went second hand bike shop saw some bikes for £35 and £80. 35 was too heavy and the 80 both I wouldn’t ride.

Looking like I have to bite the bullet and get him a 20”

Sounds good... the only other thing I would recommend is ensuring you get something with an aluminum frame. Anything steel will just be a tank and he won't want to ride it as much. Needs be easy and fun.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
Yeah cheapest ally framed bike is £200, steel £105.

Kids sure are expensive, got to do this alover in another 7 years time

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 1:12 Quote
SR Suntor have a 24” air fork (that’s not too terrible) available through their website for about $150 USD + $50 postage.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 18:55 Quote
I had a Norco B-Line for my son when he was older, and while not the lightest bike, had legit Shimano hydraulic brakes and shifting, along with a Marzocchi DJ fork. Solid bike, and was definitely a head-turner with a little guy riding full-sus at Mammoth. Check out my pics to see it. Good bike if you can find a newer model...

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14247716/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14247708/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14247714/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14247709/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14247706/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14247726/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010184
Mobile Version of Website