Ideas on reduceing chain slap/noise

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Ideas on reduceing chain slap/noise
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 5:04 Quote
I have recently started to get anoyed at the amount of noise my Giant Reign produces in the rough. i run the stock chainstay protector on the chainstay made of molded rubber and a aditional thin strip on the lower end of the seatstay.

do you guys have any ideas on materials or hacks that might further reduce the noise? i would like to maintain the sleek look but would sacifice design for funktion.

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 11:28 Quote
do you have a clutched derailleur and NW chainring?

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 14:36 Quote
well lubed XT M8000 clutch with proper tension and chainlength. NW ring and MRP upper chainguide. all standard solutions seem exhausted.

Today i tried to glue down every mm² of the rubber chainstay protector is now glued down lets see if that helped, although it was pertty solid before hand

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 16:59 Quote
Wrap chain stay with a chunk of old tire tread.. lol

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
I've seen people use the "loop" side of hook-n-loop fasteners to help quiet chain slap.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 15:19 Quote
https://youtu.be/2ttYxMoAoCM

22.20 in that video

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
Check out the new stump jumper... there's a video or article floating around about how they used high speed camera's to watch the chain. Realized it did some kind of wave motion and designed the stay protector around that to quiet the noise. Supposedly it works very well. Kinda just looks like they added some bumps in strategic spots... have heard of some guys using chunks of tire or tubes to mimic the design with good results.

You can see it pretty well towards the end of this video

Posted: Jun 20, 2018 at 5:04 Quote
Yeah thats the stuff i was looking for great ideas tahnks will start testing them Wink

Posted: Jun 20, 2018 at 6:20 Quote
If you wonder what they used in the (edit) GMBN video, it's most likely some 3M 2228 (exactly the same as the Marsh slapper tape, but cheaper). Bought a big roll off Amazon a while back, still got some and I put some on all of my bikes. I might experience those little bumps to quieten the bike I currently have, which isn't as silent as the previous one.

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 15:04 Quote
I also use 3M 2228, works great!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011933
Mobile Version of Website