Trek slash 2018 coil shock conversion

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek slash 2018 coil shock conversion
O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
jselwyn wrote:
I used a Bombee CR on my Slash with both a 400 and 450 spring. I'm 165 when riding and generally like the way 450 felt, but only had 20% sag. It felt good on the trail and didn't bottom hard, but felt like it rode too high. With the 400lb, I bottomed like crazy and the bike didn't feel any better than with thru shaft.

I've read others with similar weights, use 400 okay bit on dhx2 or cane creek where they've added a bit of HSC. 500 would be way high in my experience.

I have the bomber and 2 springs for sale if interested.

Why are you going away from the Bomber CR?

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:32 Quote
Fox offer the DHX2 in correct sizing for the slash for 2020.... 230x57.5....mine just arrived and now I'm just waiting for the Trek mounting hardware.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
Do you by any chance know the part number for the mounting hardware.
I thought I had all the right stuff. Upper mount is perfect. The lower bolt won't fit thru the reducer on lower shock eyelet. And the spacers are not wide enough.
Cheers
Chickenlamb wrote:
The super deluxe coil does not need special hardware, just order the mounting hardware for a 2017 trek slash and you are good to go. One for a nomad will not fit because of the bearings for mounting. If you bunch the bearings out of the eyelet they are too big unless you make custom hardware.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
FTW wrote:
Do you by any chance know the part number for the mounting hardware.
I thought I had all the right stuff. Upper mount is perfect. The lower bolt won't fit thru the reducer on lower shock eyelet. And the spacers are not wide enough.
Cheers

You'll need the following:

Trek p/n 540755 - mounting bolts x2 (my LBS provided same for top and bottom mounts)
Fox p/n 803-03-228 - mounting hardware (lower)
Fox p/n 803-03-231 - mounting hardware (upper)

You will also need to re-use the 5mm spacers for the lower mount that the original thru-shaft air shock used .... one each side. You won't need the original spacers for the top mount.

{UPDATE} Oops, just noticed you were asking about a RS shock. Leaving this here for Fox shock owners.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 23:20 Quote
Chickenlamb wrote:
shaneoravsky wrote:
hey looking to get rid of the through shaft air spring that come on the bike and replace it with a fox dhx2. just winding if anyone else has done so and what was involved to make it work/fit?
cheers!

I just bought the 230x60 super coil deluxe with the remote lockout. You will need new hardware and spacers. Also you need to buy the one that is meant for the commencal meta. The santa cruz nomad version will not fit. Other than that there are no clearance issues and its a thousand times better.

Hi, I'm just about to do the same conversion but the commencal version is out of stock for some time. There is a version available listed as for a Cannondale Jekyl but am worried it won't fit, what the difference with the commencal version?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
Hi guys,

Did any one get this done?

I'm looking at 240x60mm Rockshox vivid rc2 but I'm not sure if it will fit?

Thanks for you any help!

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
Just give Cane Creek a call and they'll build you a custom shock for the Slash. Expect a couple weeks for delivery, but it is well worth it.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 3:39 Quote
billbrasky wrote:
Just give Cane Creek a call and they'll build you a custom shock for the Slash. Expect a couple weeks for delivery, but it is well worth it.
Cane Creek has a 230x57.5 available, but the mounting hardware needs to come from Trek. I put one on my last Slash a year ago by pulling the hardware from my Super Deluxe.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
Nice one guys, thanks for your help. Sadly I cannot afford a new cane creek shock haha. I want a coil on my bike but I cant afford to pay the price sadly.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
I've got a brand new slash xt on the way. Looking to make it a super enduro. Will a 230x65 rear shock fit? I'm thinking dhx2 or a cane creek coil. Thoughts? Has anyone tried it with such a long stroke? By my calculations, a 65mm stroke will give it 170mm out back and I'll through a factory 36 with 170 or 180 up front. A 230x63 would also be ok, giving it 165mm of rear travel. Again, just wondering about clearance. Upgrading to a 60mm stroke gives a measley 6mm more rear travel.
Thoughts? Personal experiences? Thanks

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
It will hit the downtube with the cane creek. Stick to 60mm stroke at most.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
StumpyJR wrote:

What hits the downtube? The shock itself? Would a different brand fit? Possibly a fox dhx2? Or even an air shock? I'd prefer coil, but I'd rather the extra travel.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
leerocks wrote:
StumpyJR wrote:

What hits the downtube? The shock itself? Would a different brand fit? Possibly a fox dhx2? Or even an air shock? I'd prefer coil, but I'd rather the extra travel.
I would say for any shock stick to 60mm stroke. Anything larger the piggyback will hit the downtube.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
Hi guys,

I just buyed a trek slash 8.0 frameset and i want to switch the shock with a rs super deluxe coil.

I ve understand that the 230x60 will work with the frame....(230x57.5 not available for aftermarket).

Do i can use the hardware from original RockShox shox?

Thanks everyone

Manuele

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
Questions guys

I've got a 2017 remedy 9 rsl

I'm wanting to buy a fox float X2 shock second hand off a 2018 pivot firebird its 8.5x2.5 witch I think off the top of my head is about 215x2.3 in mm

Question is can I make this work with my frame?

Any help would me appreciate feel free to DM me

Cheers ????

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016254
Mobile Version of Website