Best pedaling long travel 29r

PB Forum :: 29ers
Best pedaling long travel 29r
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I have ridden both. There is a little more pedal feedback from the Santa Cruz, but the Hightower LT is also quicker to accelerate. The sentinels suspension feels like it is more supple and has more traction climbing up and over rocks and roots on steeper climbs. If smooth, I think the Hightower LT is more efficient, but that could have been because of weight. The Hightower LT feels lighter under your legs.

The sentinel is still very efficient, because the long reach and steeper seat tube angle of the Transition makes for a better pedaling position. You can just sit and spin and it’s so much better than all mtn bikes from 5 years ago.

On the downs, the Sentinel wins for me, hands down. Its longer, lower, slacker, and it feels like a mini downhill 29er. The suspension on both bikes feel great, well balanced between supple and progressive on the downs, but the geometry of the Sentinel wins for me. The Sentinel is still easy to flick around and change your line, but the Hightower wins there, and the High LT wins in more moderate trails at slower speeds for fun and messing around on flats too.

If you want more of a “trail” bike feel for slower speed trails, the Hightower might be better, but I think the Sentinel can pedal uphill nearly as well. If you want a mini DH bike on the downs, the Sentinel is better for that.

I actually like to jump alot on bigger bikes, but havent jumped either of these bikes. I got a feeling the Sentinel will jump better though. It just feels more natural to me.

That's a great comparison. Currently riding a Transition Scout and I must say, they know how to build bikes that are a blast to ride (jumping and descending that is), so I'm a little biased towards the Sentinel. Just worried if it would be a burden on mellow trails.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
The Sentinel is just as fun on mellow trails. Every rock/root becomes a jump. To turn the bike you really gotta lean it over , which feels like carving on a snowboard to me, its all smiles.

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 19:31 Quote
I have a 2015 Trigger Carbon 2. Very supple suspensions and I'm actually a huge fan of the steep head tube angle. I can really whip it around the trees

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015473
Mobile Version of Website