Talas 34 120-150mm on 5010?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Talas 34 120-150mm on 5010?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 18:22 Quote
Hey, just built up a '16 5010 cc frame with a 140mm Pike RLC (so fun! coming from a horst-link Turner 5-Spot). Still getting dialed in on the ride, but my thoughts have been drifting to going to a 3-position 120-150mm Talas. I live in Grand Junction and ride GJ/Fruita/Moab when it's not 100 degrees here, then long singletrack in the mountains when it is. So, I've thought about the Talas to be able to easily go between 150mm travel in the more chunky technical west slope/desert stuff, and 135mm for non-technical smooth singletrack days. Have read mixed reviews on the Talas, but mostly from 2013 and before, and wanted to know if the current Talas forks give a decent ride. Nothing but good things about the Pike, so I'd be happy to just leave things as they are now and not get a worse fork just to have the adjustable travel. The Pike adjusts from 130-140, but ease of adjustment is important; I probably wouldn't want to take the time/ effort of messing with internals to adjust the travel once a week.

Or, any other externally adjustable-travel forks that would be worth considering?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 11:33 Quote
Can’t speak to the new talas, but I have a 5010v2 as well. The real beauty of the talas is you can change you HTA on the fly, if that matters to you, maybe if you are doing long grindy climbs.

I will say, I have been experimenting with fork lengths on the 5010 and I have my bike set to 150 on a F34 boost and I hate it. So interestingly, on SC site the geo measurements are all based off the non boost F34 which is ~16mm shorter A2C at the same travel, so when SC started specing the Fox boost for it slackened the bike out some. The other change that made was that the boost fork offset went to 51mm where the non is more “in line” with 27.5 at 44mm. Ultimately now I’m going to the boost F36 which at 140mm is the slightly less A2C as my bike originally came with a boost 130mm F34 and now will have 44mm offset.

That being said, I think the pike is a good fork. I liked it on the Hightower I demoed. The A2C on that pike should be 532mm which is only 3mm longer than the F36 or non boost F34 at 140mm.

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 12:21 Quote
I have a 2014 talas 34/160 on my 2012 reign. its frigging awesome imo. I put a used/ fox serviced, talas 36/180 on my nomad too. Its pretty great
some folks don't like the talas system, but i think they may be setting them up wrong. always adjust your air pressure in the long travel setting. and personally i also turn the hsc/lsc to minimum while tuning air pressures too. its a bit fiddly initially as 5 psi differences can feel too soft or too hard. but it really lets the bikes behave as quick trail machines that can really handle some steeps too. better to go a touch too hard with air than have it dive on steep stuff.

dubxion wrote:
Hey, just built up a '16 5010 cc frame with a 140mm Pike RLC (so fun! coming from a horst-link Turner 5-Spot). Still getting dialed in on the ride, but my thoughts have been drifting to going to a 3-position 120-150mm Talas. I live in Grand Junction and ride GJ/Fruita/Moab when it's not 100 degrees here, then long singletrack in the mountains when it is. So, I've thought about the Talas to be able to easily go between 150mm travel in the more chunky technical west slope/desert stuff, and 135mm for non-technical smooth singletrack days. Have read mixed reviews on the Talas, but mostly from 2013 and before, and wanted to know if the current Talas forks give a decent ride. Nothing but good things about the Pike, so I'd be happy to just leave things as they are now and not get a worse fork just to have the adjustable travel. The Pike adjusts from 130-140, but ease of adjustment is important; I probably wouldn't want to take the time/ effort of messing with internals to adjust the travel once a week.

Or, any other externally adjustable-travel forks that would be worth considering?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 16:17 Quote
Thanks for the feedback on the 5010 details. I’ll probably run 140 for a while and see how it goes... I’ll probably get used to it and not want to change. Definitely not too slack right now, and climbs really well, and I’m sure the Pike at 140 is preferable to 130.
TSR497 wrote:
Can’t speak to the new talas, but I have a 5010v2 as well. The real beauty of the talas is you can change you HTA on the fly, if that matters to you, maybe if you are doing long grindy climbs.

I will say, I have been experimenting with fork lengths on the 5010 and I have my bike set to 150 on a F34 boost and I hate it. So interestingly, on SC site the geo measurements are all based off the non boost F34 which is ~16mm shorter A2C at the same travel, so when SC started specing the Fox boost for it slackened the bike out some. The other change that made was that the boost fork offset went to 51mm where the non is more “in line” with 27.5 at 44mm. Ultimately now I’m going to the boost F36 which at 140mm is the slightly less A2C as my bike originally came with a boost 130mm F34 and now will have 44mm offset.

That being said, I think the pike is a good fork. I liked it on the Hightower I demoed. The A2C on that pike should be 532mm which is only 3mm longer than the F36 or non boost F34 at 140mm.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 1:07 Quote
TSR497 wrote:

I have a fox 34 boost 150 on my 5010 v2. A2C for this fork is exactly 539 mm as said on tech docs from Fox for fox 34. I measured it by myself. The fox 34 which is 16 mm longer is the plus model.
Anyway, I'm really happy with this fork and the bike now is even more capable. Just remove some spacers under the stem and it will be great.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 8:23 Quote
freeCO wrote:
I have a fox 34 boost 150 on my 5010 v2. A2C for this fork is exactly 539 mm as said on tech docs from Fox for fox 34. I measured it by myself. The fox 34 which is 16 mm longer is the plus model.
Anyway, I'm really happy with this fork and the bike now is even more capable. Just remove some spacers under the stem and it will be great.

Well, I know Fox does weird stuff some times and there are some configurations or parts bin builds for OE... but my 2017 F34 boost measures per this, 555mm A2C, measured it my self as well.

http://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page804-4ZBR/2016_FOX_34_27-5_PLUS_15x110QR_USER_SPEC.jpg

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005165
Mobile Version of Website