How to convey confidence and good vibes in a bike shop

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
How to convey confidence and good vibes in a bike shop
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 11:29 Quote
A little background on me: I'm a ski bootfitter, retail sales associate and am fairly knowledgeable about ski gear from the hard goods, to accessories, to soft goods.
Because of this, I work at a ski shop in the winter, and am extremely comfortable talking to any recreational customer who walks in the door. What I've found over the past several years is women, in particular, like to seek me out because I talk to them intelligently about their gear. Women also relate to me and trust what I say.

Normally I don't work at the shop in the summer when it transitions to bike, but I've stayed on staff this summer and am getting stoked about mountain biking again, but I find myself at a loss when it comes to talking to the customers about the technical aspects of bikes and components. This is when I get one of the more knowledgeable staff members to help the customer. I've been doing research on different bike geometry within the brands we have, as well as boning up on components, and I've been taking out demo bikes to get a feel of how the different bikes ride. This is the first time I've worked in a bike shop, so my base of knowledge is from my bike shopping experiences, which is something I haven't done in 9 years. Redface

Starting this thread has a few purposes:
I'd like to hear from others who work at a bike shop; how do you approach customers?
I'd like to know if there is a tip or trick to boning up on the things that are important to the customers.
I'd like to hear from a customer stand point about what you look for in a shop employee's answers. Are you most interested in knowledge about components, type of bike for different type riding, or [insert interest here]
I'd like to work with bike customers from start to finish as confidently as I do during ski season

Since I'm posting this in the Girl's Clubhouse, I may get more feedback on what the ladies expect, but I'd be interested in a guy's perspective too, especially since I'm one of 2 girls working in this bike shop this summer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008457
Mobile Version of Website