Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
markkarlstrand wrote:
asmtb wrote:
chacou wrote:

I do like having the e13 dropper for cold weather riding (just got one on a Capra), being mechanical it isn't as susceptible to the temperature. No doubt I love my OneUp more though, just doesn't work as well in the cold but I will be swapping the e13 dropper on my Capra out for a OneUp this spring.
A wolf tooth lever made my e13 dropper work great. I love how low maintenance it is....
I've started having issues with the e13 post not locking in place. Were you having similar issues before switching to the WT lever?

I started having those same issues and also noticed a clanking noise coming from inside the dropper. Pulled mine apart with instructions on e13 website. When I got the dropper taken apart I noticed everything was wet with rusty water and grime. I cleaned everything and then put some new grease on a few parts and threw it back together. It works like new except for the rotational play it still has. But just cleaning it and putting some fresh grease really fixed most the issues I was having. Hope this helps

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
Absolutely, thanks gents!

ytjodave wrote:
shred-zilla wrote:
Thinking about getting a 29 Jeffsy. How does it ride through chunky rock and small bumps?
Is it chattery? Or more of a smooth hover bike?

The stock shock/fork combos are great but it’s by no means a ‘hover’ bike. I put a Luftkappe in my 36 & went 160 travel and tossed an X2 out back and it’s made a night and day difference. With the DPX2 and no Luftkappe there’s definitely feedback, which some may like. Where I ride there’s so many rocks and rough trails I wanted to smooth things out a bit. I’ve tossed around the idea of a coil for some rides but haven’t had the money yet, everyone here raves on them though.

Overall Jeffsy is an amazing bike and excellent price for what you get, especially when compared to big brick and mortar brands.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
Has anyone upgraded the airshaft to 160mm? Curious to know how the bike handles after doing that.. would be nice to have that "little extra" and added slackness.. my home trails are really technical and rocky so would like to know how the front end does on climbs tighter turns

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
Has anyone upgraded the airshaft to 160mm? Curious to know how the bike handles after doing that.. would be nice to have that "little extra" and added slackness.. my home trails are really technical and rocky so would like to know how the front end does on climbs tighter turns

Yes, do it! I love it. Add a Luftkappe while you’re at it.
I haven’t noticed any adverse effects, even on the steepest climbs.
I do run the flip chip in the high position for general trail riding. If I know there’ll be a lot of DH I’ll go to low position and it just gobbles everything up. Other than my X2 shock and XT8120 drive train, the 160 & Luftkappe have been my favorite upgrade.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
chacou wrote:
Fishlexic wrote:
RiderofNEPA wrote:

Thanks, you can find the V1 for a pretty good deal right now. 140 bucks at backcountry with 10% cash back from activejunky.

+1 for this except a carbon jeffsy. Wish i did it straight away.... the e13 isn't the worst thing ever but the oneup is wayyyyyy better.

I do like having the e13 dropper for cold weather riding (just got one on a Capra), being mechanical it isn't as susceptible to the temperature. No doubt I love my OneUp more though, just doesn't work as well in the cold but I will be swapping the e13 dropper on my Capra out for a OneUp this spring.

Yeah i live in aus.... so i've got hot.... or stinking f*cking hot for %95 of the time. So temperatures not really an issue.

I also went with a wolf tooth. my e13 may have been torqued incorectly at some stage and stripped where the remote grips the cable. To their credit YT/E13 sorted me out a new remote quick smart but the replacement was still only 1nm torque into a plastic piece to grip the cable. I just wasn't confident despite using a torque wrench that it had enough pressure to grip the cable well. No such problem with the wolf tooth, the cable grip is screw to metal rather than plastic. They arent cheap remotes but i think it was money well spent

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
hey guys, my trs+ dropper post died on me today. the four torx screws at the base of the post became rusted and their heads sheered off from the base.. now the post just spins in circles.. (blessing in disguise??) ethirteen did kind of warranty it and is sending me a refurbished dropper.. has anyone had experience with their refurb droppers?? My main reason for posting tho is to ask if I can use my e13 dropper lever with a PNW bachelor dropper post or do I have to buy a different type of lever??

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 13:08 Quote
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
use my e13 dropper lever with a PNW bachelor dropper post or do I have to buy a different type of lever??

You should be able to use it with any other cable actuated dropper post, you may just need to adjust the tension and throw. But no problems, similarly I use a Fox lever with a OneUp post.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
chacou wrote:
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
use my e13 dropper lever with a PNW bachelor dropper post or do I have to buy a different type of lever??

You should be able to use it with any other cable actuated dropper post, you may just need to adjust the tension and throw. But no problems, similarly I use a Fox lever with a OneUp post.

Thats what I thought just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
markkarlstrand wrote:
asmtb wrote:

A wolf tooth lever made my e13 dropper work great. I love how low maintenance it is....
I've started having issues with the e13 post not locking in place. Were you having similar issues before switching to the WT lever?

I started having those same issues and also noticed a clanking noise coming from inside the dropper. Pulled mine apart with instructions on e13 website. When I got the dropper taken apart I noticed everything was wet with rusty water and grime. I cleaned everything and then put some new grease on a few parts and threw it back together. It works like new except for the rotational play it still has. But just cleaning it and putting some fresh grease really fixed most the issues I was having. Hope this helps
That makes sense. Most of my rides since the new year have been mud rides so I bet its water. Thanks for the tip!

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 19:06 Quote
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
I haven't yet but am 99% sure I'm doing it soon. Looking at the HTA delta between the Pro and Race models I'm assuming that going from 140mm to 160mm will change the HTA by 1 deg. So not a giant change. Besides the change in HTA I'm thinking the slight raise in BB might be nice since I get a lot of pedal strikes.

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
Has anyone tried Wolf Tooth’s B-Rad bottle relocation to fit a larger water bottle?

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
markkarlstrand wrote:
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
I haven't yet but am 99% sure I'm doing it soon. Looking at the HTA delta between the Pro and Race models I'm assuming that going from 140mm to 160mm will change the HTA by 1 deg. So not a giant change. Besides the change in HTA I'm thinking the slight raise in BB might be nice since I get a lot of pedal strikes.

I upgraded my airshaft to 160 mm. I didn't like it at the 15-20% sag setting I had been riding before but once I dropped it down to 30% sag it felt dialed. I get the about same ride height as I had at 150mm, but with about 10 PSI less pressure it is more supple on chatter so I think it is an improvement.

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
markkarlstrand wrote:
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
Pretty sure the head angle with 160 and the flip chip in high is the same as 150 and the flip chip in low. Be a good way to tell if you will like the bike characteristics. Personally i dont much care for it on my local trails but if i had faster stuff closer by it would be worth it. Pretty sure im gonna sell my wifes scott genius "give her" the jeffsy, order myself a pro race capra for enduros and gnarlier stuff and still ride the jeffsy when im at home. When i go with the wife we arent doing anything extremely long distance or at a faster pace like i do with friends so the capra should be just fine for days with her....now to just fully convince her

EDIT: i just re-read that and it woulds like youre still at 140. I went 150/150 coil rear on my pro and i dont think i would like the 160 fork on it all the time. Just my opinion, for most of what i ride it wouldnt be too great. I could tell quite a difference. that coil out back sure is sweet though

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
austin915 wrote:
markkarlstrand wrote:
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
Pretty sure the head angle with 160 and the flip chip in high is the same as 150 and the flip chip in low. Be a good way to tell if you will like the bike characteristics. Personally i dont much care for it on my local trails but if i had faster stuff closer by it would be worth it. Pretty sure im gonna sell my wifes scott genius "give her" the jeffsy, order myself a pro race capra for enduros and gnarlier stuff and still ride the jeffsy when im at home. When i go with the wife we arent doing anything extremely long distance or at a faster pace like i do with friends so the capra should be just fine for days with her....now to just fully convince her

EDIT: i just re-read that and it woulds like youre still at 140. I went 150/150 coil rear on my pro and i dont think i would like the 160 fork on it all the time. Just my opinion, for most of what i ride it wouldnt be too great. I could tell quite a difference. that coil out back sure is sweet though

I’m currently running 150 front and 140 rear. The stock Deluxe isn’t cutting it so I’ve got a Push 11-6 on the way. I’m 195lbs and I use the full travel of the 140 on every trail. Tried speeding up my rebound and still use all the travel no matter what. I think with the extra 10mm of travel I’ll be in the sweet spot. I’m thinking I’ll stick with the 150 for the front for now. Maybe try some offset bushings along with shorter cranks.

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 6:39 Quote
fantasisticmtbme wrote:
austin915 wrote:
markkarlstrand wrote:

I’m currently running 150 front and 140 rear. The stock Deluxe isn’t cutting it so I’ve got a Push 11-6 on the way. I’m 195lbs and I use the full travel of the 140 on every trail. Tried speeding up my rebound and still use all the travel no matter what. I think with the extra 10mm of travel I’ll be in the sweet spot. I’m thinking I’ll stick with the 150 for the front for now. Maybe try some offset bushings along with shorter cranks.

That sounds more like a setup issue to me. Rebound won't get you anywhere if you're using too much travel too much of the time. If the sag is set correctly, you should try adding volume spacers to make the spring curve more progressive.
Nothing wrong with getting the 11-6 though I guess, I've heard nothing but praise so far.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006184
Mobile Version of Website