Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
That sounds more like a setup issue to me. Rebound won't get you anywhere if you're using too much travel too much of the time. If the sag is set correctly, you should try adding volume spacers to make the spring curve more progressive.
Nothing wrong with getting the 11-6 though I guess, I've heard nothing but praise so far.

I don’t feel harsh bottom outs nor do I feel it bottom out really at all. I just know I’m using all the travel consistently. I don’t think I’d want it anymore progressive. I’ve been wanting to upgrade the shock because the deluxe isn’t what I’m looking for in terms of ride quality. I’ll definitely keep it for back up. I’ll look into spacers tho and at least test it out to see if I like it

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
I put a rockshox gnar dog 2.5 spacer in mine and I still push the travel indicator band off on anything rougher than XC trails. But as you said, I have never felt it bottom out even on pretty good size flat landings.

fantasisticmtbme wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
That sounds more like a setup issue to me. Rebound won't get you anywhere if you're using too much travel too much of the time. If the sag is set correctly, you should try adding volume spacers to make the spring curve more progressive.
Nothing wrong with getting the 11-6 though I guess, I've heard nothing but praise so far.

I don’t feel harsh bottom outs nor do I feel it bottom out really at all. I just know I’m using all the travel consistently. I don’t think I’d want it anymore progressive. I’ve been wanting to upgrade the shock because the deluxe isn’t what I’m looking for in terms of ride quality. I’ll definitely keep it for back up. I’ll look into spacers tho and at least test it out to see if I like it

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 22:11 Quote
How much of sag are you running on, if you are constantly using all of the travel...? 30%+?

If considering only the spring rate(compression damping has an affect, too), changing from air to coil shock, the spring rater will be even more linear and use even more of the travel with similar sag...

The linkage on Jeff is somewhat progressive already, combine that with an airshock with bunch of spacers, you end up with loads of progression in the total spring curve which likely isn't going to be the best solution.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is to try removing all/some volume spacers and use smaller sag and higher pressure to compensate and see if that helps.

Small bump sensitivity on the basic air shocks(ie. monarch, deluxe, etc..) is likely not the best and if you try to compensate with lower air pressure/bigger sag in order to get some small bump sensitivity, you'll likely end up using all of the travel quite easily. With better shock(X2, Topaz, Elevensix, etc.) the small bump sensitivity is miles better, hence you need less sag and progression, so you can run with normal sag while still having usable travel reserve...

my 2 cents...

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
Yep, exactly. I messed with setup a lot on the ROCKSHOX DELUXE RT3 I have on there. Right now I have the big vol spacer and run ~35% sag depending on temp and amount of water and gear I have. Its the best setup so far but far from perfect. Like I said, I have never once felt it bottom out so I'm good with it until I upgrade to something better.
Vertti83 wrote:
How much of sag are you running on, if you are constantly using all of the travel...? 30%+?

If considering only the spring rate(compression damping has an affect, too), changing from air to coil shock, the spring rater will be even more linear and use even more of the travel with similar sag...

The linkage on Jeff is somewhat progressive already, combine that with an airshock with bunch of spacers, you end up with loads of progression in the total spring curve which likely isn't going to be the best solution.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is to try removing all/some volume spacers and use smaller sag and higher pressure to compensate and see if that helps.

Small bump sensitivity on the basic air shocks(ie. monarch, deluxe, etc..) is likely not the best and if you try to compensate with lower air pressure/bigger sag in order to get some small bump sensitivity, you'll likely end up using all of the travel quite easily. With better shock(X2, Topaz, Elevensix, etc.) the small bump sensitivity is miles better, hence you need less sag and progression, so you can run with normal sag while still having usable travel reserve...

my 2 cents...

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 11:36 Quote
I did experience quite the same with the same shock. Still never sure it does not have a pb regarding the supposed progressivity of the jeffsy.
How would you test a shock validity with a reproducible test?

In the end I let the 3 rings with a very small sag, not smooth on small bumps, but quite good on bigger ones.

On the contrary, I only kept one spacer in the pike. The opposite of everyone around here!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005034
Mobile Version of Website